PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] What would you like to be different in ubuntu 11.10?

nkbatsi
October 23rd, 2011, 08:12 PM
I just upgraded to 11.10 (oneiric), and I didn 't like some things about the Unity GUI.
First of all I was not using Unity in 11.04 as well, so it is obvious that I prefer Gnome.
Nevertheless whichever GUI you choose now there are still some things that are missing.

First of all, you cannot move any of the objects on the top bar (change place to the date icon, keyboard configuration icon etc.). In Ubuntu classic the chosen active language is not shown next to the keyboard settings icon, so Ι never know which language is enabled.

Second there is not your nickname written on the top right left corner anymore but your full name, why is that? Traditionally when logging onto any linux or unix system a nickname was asked.

Third is that at the bottom of the windows used to be info about the folders remaining space. A very useful piece of info to me and maybe other people.

Another one that is bothering me is the pre-play of songs when pointing onto any music or sound file that is currently missing (yes I am using the icons view in folders, in case someone notes that!).

Maybe all the above stated can be enabled through the menus, but I don't know how to do this, and yes I liked it very much when they came out of the box with the previous upgrades (11.04) or earlier.

Why are these features gone now? Users, what is your opinion on these ones?

Please submit your ideas about how would you like ubuntu to be.

Thank you very much!

P.S. If anybody knows how to enable these features please tell me!

nkbatsi
October 23rd, 2011, 10:52 PM
forgot to say that I cannot make shortcuts on the desktop anymore, or at least it is not easy, where did the old fashioned drag and drop go?

tekkisan
October 23rd, 2011, 11:07 PM
Yes main reason I have not upgraded from 11.04 is the desktop. I don't like Unity so far. I like the classic.

matt450
October 24th, 2011, 01:17 AM
forgot to say that I cannot make shortcuts on the desktop anymore, or at least it is not easy, where did the old fashioned drag and drop go?

I installed "Advanced Settings" from the software center, and checked "Have file manager handle the desktop," click and drag an icon from the dash to the far right, the dash closes and you can drop it on the desktop.

....edit: don't have to install the advanced settings app, it works without it, tried it on my daughters computer.

nkbatsi
October 24th, 2011, 04:15 AM
I installed "Advanced Settings" from the software center, and checked "Have file manager handle the desktop," click and drag an icon from the dash to the far right, the dash closes and you can drop it on the desktop.

....edit: don't have to install the advanced settings app, it works without it, tried it on my daughters computer.

Thanks matt450!