PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Get a little more speed?

UnderbossGuido
October 23rd, 2011, 07:48 PM
My PC isn't of the newest specs, so Ubuntu runs alright, but I was wondering if anyone has any tricks to get a little more boost out it. Maybe something to simply eliminate some lag?

Thanks ahead of time,
- Guido

sadaruwan12
October 23rd, 2011, 07:53 PM
Can you please give us more details on your computers hardware specifications like the ram, cpu speed etc...

Might e be able to help you more.

Pjotr123
October 23rd, 2011, 07:57 PM
Some hardware specs would be helpful. But disabling the visual effects and reducing the swappiness are generic measures to gain speed on a desktop:
http://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/first
(item 1 and 2)

kemtnbkr
October 23rd, 2011, 09:12 PM
You could also try one of the lightweight *buntus, like Lubuntu or Xubuntu. They are more geared towards older hardware; I'm currently running Lubuntu just because I like a simple DE without bells and whistles. I'm sure it would run fine on anything that isn't terribly outdated. And by terribly outdated I mean something less than PIII/ 512MB.

Also, if you have a tiny HD, my initial Lubuntu install only used about 2.3 GiB, so you should be fine there too.

amjjawad
October 24th, 2011, 05:45 PM
Lubuntu (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1844755) for super speed, period :)

uriel1998
October 24th, 2011, 08:15 PM
I run openbox over a base of Ubuntu 10.04; it's probably not ideal (I keep having conflicts between when remnants of GNOME want to handle something and I don't want it to), but it's significantly speedier.

If you've encrypted your home directory, that could be slowing things down as well (I really notice it with WINE), but it's a pain to go back to unencrypted. If you're running conky (or any other system monitors), try upping the refresh times on everything to two seconds or more.

Rex Bouwense
October 24th, 2011, 08:39 PM
I used Ubuntu since 8.04 and have recently switched to dual booting with Lubuntu. If you want speed, that is where you should go. Lubuntu works really well with older machines and less RAM.

tudor117
October 24th, 2011, 08:47 PM
Consider zRAM too. It compresses RAM in order to reduce the amount of swap. Not sure how well it works in Ubunbtu atm though.

LinuxFan999
October 24th, 2011, 09:32 PM
If you don't have very much RAM, I would recommend installing more.

amjjawad
October 24th, 2011, 10:23 PM
Let's just keep in mind that "unused RAM is wasted RAM".

@OP
We're still waiting for the Hardware Specifications ;)