PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] switching sound device

ginjabunny
October 23rd, 2011, 11:17 AM
I have just upgraded from 10.10 server with a light Gnome desktop to 11.10 server with full Lubuntu-desktop, everything seems to be working with a couple of annoyances but one thing I can't figure out is how to switch sound devices, by default it uses the built-in sound card but I have a usb dongle for a wireless speaker which I was using under gnome where I could switch using gnome-volume-control but there doesn't seem to be an equivilent on Lubuntu, I've tried using alsamixer and I can see the "SYNIC Wireless Audio" but can't figure out how to switch.

Any ideas?

GB

ginjabunny
November 14th, 2011, 11:24 PM
I spent quite a while on this, I even set up a test server so I didn't break mine, the ALSA stuff seemed pretty complicated and I couldn't figure it out.

I read some stuff about Pulse but was reluctant to install it but had to in the end as I couldn't find any other way of switching. So this is what I did

sudo apt-get install pulseaudio

To get the device names use

pactl list cards (and use the following lines)

Card #0
Name: alsa_card.pci-0000_00_11.5
Active Profile: output:analog-stereo+input:analog-stereo
Card #1
Name: alsa_card.usb-SYNIC_SYNIC_Wireless_Audio-00-Audio
Active Profile: off

so I switched off the PCI card, using

pactl set-card-profile alsa_card.pci-0000_00_11.5 off

it seems pulse automatically switched to the USB when I turned off the PCI card, and it remembers in the user profile and uses the USB when I plug it in. (I don't have speakers so not bothered that the PCI card is always off)

If anyone knows how to do it in ALSA please post how.

GB

Rodney9
November 14th, 2011, 11:55 PM
I'm afraid I don't have an answer however these sites maybe of help

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoundTroubleshooting

and this one, more up todate, but still a work in progress, however very good -

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iTlJ8BfqXUjaHO__TEdlkvuqB1WLOkGaudngc5SFLMI/edit

Rodney

stinkeye
November 15th, 2011, 06:50 AM
On Ubuntu 11.10 I use this script (uses pulseaudio) to toggle between usb and internal soundcard.
Don't know if it will work in lubuntu but you could glean some info from it.

#!/bin/bash

declare -i sinks=(`pacmd list-sinks | sed -n -e 's/\**[[:space:]]index:[[:space:]]\([[:digit:]]\)/\1/p'`)
declare -i sinks_count=${#sinks }
declare -i active_sink_index=`pacmd list-sinks | sed -n -e 's/\*[[:space:]]index:[[:space:]]\([[:digit:]]\)/\1/p'`
declare -i next_sink_index=${sinks[0]}

#find the next sink (not always the next index number)
declare -i ord=0
while [ $ord -lt $sinks_count ];
do
echo ${sinks[$ord]}
if [ ${sinks[$ord]} -gt $active_sink_index ] ; then
next_sink_index=${sinks[$ord]}
break
fi
let ord++
done

#change the default sink
pacmd "set-default-sink ${next_sink_index}"

#move all inputs to the new sink
for app in $(pacmd list-sink-inputs | sed -n -e 's/index:[[:space:]]\([[:digit:]]\)/\1/p');
do
pacmd "move-sink-input $app $next_sink_index"

done

#display notification
declare -i ndx=0
pacmd list-sinks | sed -n -e 's/device.description[[:space:]]=[[:space:]]"\(.*\)"/\1/p' | while read line;
do
if [ $(( $ord % $sinks_count )) -eq $ndx ] ; then
notify-send -i notification-audio-volume-high --hint=string:x-canonical-private-synchronous: "Sound output switched to" "$line"
exit
fi
let ndx++
done;

ginjabunny
November 15th, 2011, 09:41 PM
thanks for the suggestions, I will have a play at the weekend,