PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Gnome Shell not starting on login

Raptor354
October 23rd, 2011, 07:44 AM
Hello,

I am have a problem with Gnome Shell.

Recently I upgraded to 11.10. As I'm sure all of you know, the classic Gnome desktop doesn't come installed by default, so I took the opportunity to play around with various desktop environments: KDE, XFCE, and Gnome Shell.

A simple install of the gnome-shell package on both my laptop and desktop started my experience. The laptop experience went perfectly fine. Single monitor powered by the default display driver. The desktop experience, however, was a bit different.

When I tried to log in to it, it hung for quite some time. When it finally did load, it looked like the whole desktop was a File Browser window (without the borders). I was able to get to a terminal and start gnome-shell, from which environment I'm typing in.

And it works reliably this way. As long as I can start gnome-shell from a terminal, I'm set. But this gets annoying very quickly.

In short: Why doesn't gnome-shell start up properly for me?

If it helps, my desktop has two monitors running from a single nVidia 9500GT using the newest drivers.

Thanks,

Raptor354

jeeves
October 23rd, 2011, 08:32 AM
You might check the configuration files mentioned in the post below:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1856276

I had a problem where Gnome Shell hung for a while logging and then did not load properly.

Raptor354
October 23rd, 2011, 09:28 PM
Thank you for your reply, jeeves.

I tried the things mentioned in the link you posted, but no luck.

How did you resolve the Gnome Shell not loading properly issue? Or was that the link you posted?