PDA

View Full Version : is your internet life better than actual life?

Thelinuxgeek
October 23rd, 2011, 12:12 AM
Sometimes I feel like my life on the internet goes better than real life. Discuss.

donkyhotay
October 23rd, 2011, 12:38 AM
Well, I can't speak for your real life but if your internet life is posts like that one... well... sorry.

haqking
October 23rd, 2011, 12:40 AM
It is not better, but it has certainly gone down hill since i read some recent threads ;-)

Dangertux
October 23rd, 2011, 12:54 AM
Yes I like my real life very much my Internet life not so much.

Gremlinzzz
October 23rd, 2011, 01:14 AM
I don't see the separation there both one and the same I multi task :popcorn:

Old_Grey_Wolf
October 23rd, 2011, 01:18 AM
Sometimes I feel like my life on the internet goes better than real life. Discuss.

In the real world, people try to be nice, cooperative, friendly, and so fourth. On the Internet, people can be rude, argumentative, bullying, etc.; because, they are anonymous.

I prefer the real world.

a2j
October 23rd, 2011, 03:23 AM
because, they are anonymous.

or so they think...

cgroza
October 23rd, 2011, 03:25 AM
or so they think...
I know where you live...

I don't separate the 2. I use the internet to learn stuff I need in the so called real life.

Thewhistlingwind
October 23rd, 2011, 03:41 AM
In the real world, people try to be nice, cooperative, friendly, and so fourth. On the Internet, people can be rude, argumentative, bullying, etc.; because, they are anonymous.

I prefer the real world.

I have received kindness after kindness on the web, from total strangers whom I'll never meet.

I'd wager that there's just as many jerks online as there are in real life, the internet just makes them more accessible.

Internet strangers have changed my life.

I prefer true acts of kindness to assumed masks.

Dangertux
October 23rd, 2011, 03:44 AM

Amen to this, I've met a few people on the Internet whom I will never forget.

ubupirate
October 23rd, 2011, 03:48 AM
In the real world, people try to be nice, cooperative, friendly, and so fourth.

What real world do you live in? I'd like to go move to this Utopia you speak of.

IWantFroyo
October 23rd, 2011, 03:56 AM
I have received kindness after kindness on the web, from total strangers whom I'll never meet.

I'd wager that there's just as many jerks online as there are in real life, the internet just makes them more accessible.

I prefer true acts of kindness to assumed masks.

Same here. The most exceptional people I've ever met were through the Internet, and I didn't know the names of any of them. That they'll tell you their story, and even help you get through depression or other life problems, when they know you'll never meet them again or even know their name...

In real life, I find people sometimes are careless about how they treat me, because they are in the same class as me or are coworkers, and they think I'll eventually forgive them. This type of thinking is wrong, but it's way too common nowadays.

The Internet is only a dangerous place if you make it like that. There are parts of the web that are kind and compassionate, too.

Redblade20XX
October 23rd, 2011, 07:24 AM
For me it seems as if the internet is better place to be. You have more freedom to be where you want to be rather than in real life. Also you can associate yourself to what you feel like and want to be around. That's alot easier than in real life. Sure there are pros and cons for both sides but the internet has more accessible options. ;)

- Red

Ctrl-Alt-F1
October 23rd, 2011, 08:22 AM
Hmm...

My real life is much more fulfilling especially my family life. I work as a web developer so much of my "real achievements" are getting web applications to work. Still, I find the internet mostly useful for finding information. I don't have alternate realities on the internet.

MG&TL
October 23rd, 2011, 08:34 AM
Well, the UK is a ****hole, so my internet life is probably better than my outside one. I disagree with the jerks bit, but then I usually frequent here-I guess it depends on where you go.

Incidentally, why is internet spell-checked?

mendhak
October 23rd, 2011, 08:41 AM
If you are using Firefox, your spell checker is expecting Internet to start with a capital letter, like a proper noun (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_capitalization_conventions).

MG&TL
October 23rd, 2011, 08:46 AM
Nope, doesn't matter what browser I use. Seems to be something to do with site, doesn't flag it on other sites. :confused:

Ctrl-Alt-F1
October 23rd, 2011, 08:53 AM
Nope, doesn't matter what browser I use. Seems to be something to do with site, doesn't flag it on other sites. :confused:
I can, with a pretty high level of assurance, state that the website is not spell checking you. The Internet is a proper noun. It refers to a specific instance.

My guess is that your browsers don't spell check every type of form field, but this is an html textarea and it would be fairly obvious to spell check that.

*Also, Google Chrome doesn't mark it as a typo, so there's some anecdotal evidence to dispute yours.

MG&TL
October 23rd, 2011, 09:07 AM
Meh. Okay. I'll shut up. ;)

followurdrmz
October 23rd, 2011, 09:12 AM
My internet life is better. I got open source. Outside its like kick a## or get kicked.

ki4jgt
October 23rd, 2011, 12:46 PM
I think the Internet is one big thrill ride. On the Internet, you can be anyone you want (and yes, you are given a certain amount of anonymity) where as in real life, you are unable to make a fresh start any time you want it. In real life, fresh starts take work and planning and can be easily blown over. In virtual land, you just put on another mask. You're not limited by other people's perceptions, but only by your own. That my friend is called addiction. The Internet is merely data. Just like in the real world, you may manipulate data to be what ever you want it to be. You can even hide behind data in the real world. People assume that because there are data authorities in the real world, that the system is not as easy to navigate but I assure you, it's easier to change masks in the real world than it is in the virtual one.

haqking
October 23rd, 2011, 12:48 PM
is there a difference between the 2 ?

I went outside once and thought the graphics were terrible, my real life is the internet ;-)

sffvba[e0rt
October 23rd, 2011, 01:03 PM
I have one life, I spend a lot of time of it online.

linuxyogi
October 23rd, 2011, 03:07 PM
My real life simply lacks activity. I cant find a full time job. Just dunno what to do with all those hours.

My knowledge in Linux is very limited otherwise I could have spend my time helping others.

haqking
October 23rd, 2011, 03:10 PM
My real life simply lacks activity. I cant find a full time job. Just dunno what to do with all those hours.

My knowledge in Linux is very limited otherwise I could have spend my time helping others.

Learn linux in all those hours, then it wont be limited and skill set for finding a job improved ;-)

linuxyogi
October 23rd, 2011, 04:11 PM
Learn linux in all those hours, then it wont be limited and skill set for finding a job improved ;-)

By learn Linux you mean courses like these http://www.redhat.com/certification/rhce/ ?

In India you need to have an engineering to get a job as Linux or Windows System Admin.

I have already done CCNA & MCSA. Things work differently in India. The word here is an engineering degree. Then you do you CCNA, MCSA/E, RHCE. You will most probably get a job.

haqking
October 23rd, 2011, 04:37 PM
By learn Linux you mean courses like these http://www.redhat.com/certification/rhce/ ?

In India you need to have an engineering to get a job as Linux or Windows System Admin.

I have already done CCNA & MCSA. Things work differently in India. The word here is an engineering degree. Then you do you CCNA, MCSA/E, RHCE. You will most probably get a job.

I didnt mean a particular course. You said you had hours and didnt know what to do, and that you dont know enough to offer assistance to others.

So pick up a book and learn more about linux, thus allowing you to help yourself and others. Regardless of how things work in India or anywhere else, knowledge is free if you have the time to learn it ;-)

Utew
October 23rd, 2011, 05:21 PM
Whether the Internet is better (more civilized? friendlier? interesting? comforting?) kind of depends on where you go and how you use it.

Forums, tend to lend themselves to bartender's syndrome... that is, people have a tendency to tell things to their bartender that they wouldn't tell to someone they know (in real life). Something about that anonymity thing that makes it easier to talk with strangers, who don't know you and/or your foibles/defects of character/etc.

The 'net, is just part and parcel.. one compliments the other, in other words.

Dry Lips
October 23rd, 2011, 05:44 PM
Whether the Internet is better (more civilized? friendlier? interesting? comforting?) kind of depends on where you go and how you use it.

Forums, tend to lend themselves to bartender's syndrome... that is, people have a tendency to tell things to their bartender that they wouldn't tell to someone they know (in real life). Something about that anonymity thing that makes it easier to talk with strangers, who don't know you and/or your foibles/defects of character/etc.

The 'net, is just part and parcel.. one compliments the other, in other words.

Good point!

Dangertux
October 23rd, 2011, 07:54 PM

This is the most honest statement in this thread.

madjr
October 23rd, 2011, 08:01 PM

I prefer the real world.

In the real world you can get robbed, kidnapped, etc., or if you disagree with a person they can stab or shoot you.

In the internet you can state your opinions without ending up in th hospital.

Anyway in the future, the "real" and virtual life might become one and the same..

We dont even know if this universe is really "real", we don't even know what "real" really is..

haqking
October 23rd, 2011, 08:03 PM
In the real world you can get robbed, kidnapped, etc., or if you disagree with a person they can stab or shoot you.

In the internet you can state your opinions without ending up in th hospital.

Anyway in the future, they might become one and the same..

people get robbed all the time by using the internet ;-)

and i am sure a few Unity ranters out there have ended up in hospital with stress related issues....LOL

satanselbow
October 23rd, 2011, 08:04 PM
My internet life is like edited highlights of the real things ;) The best bits are too rude for youtube :popcorn: