PDA

View Full Version : New Interview with Mark Shuttleworth

hackmeister
June 2nd, 2006, 01:35 PM
We interviewed Mark Shuttleworth on the latest episode of The Linux Link Tech Show:
http://tllts.org/archives/tllts_142-05-31-06.ogg
http://tllts.org/archives/tllts_142-05-31-06.mp3

The interview with Mark starts at 34:18 but we talk about our experiences upgrading to Dapper Drake before that.

Enjoy!

Pat

The Linux Link Tech Show (http://tllts.org/)

ubuntu_demon
June 2nd, 2006, 02:17 PM
thnx!
downloading right now :)

raublekick
June 2nd, 2006, 02:25 PM
awesome, can't wait to hear it.

curuxz
June 2nd, 2006, 03:01 PM
Very intresting listen, Mark seems really down to earth.

Odd tho the guys doing the show seem not to understand Ubuntu very much since they were shocked when they installed a kubuntu meta-package and the artwork changed over :S lol

henriquemaia
June 2nd, 2006, 03:27 PM
Very interesting interview. Thanks for sharing.

hackmeister
June 2nd, 2006, 06:45 PM
Very interesting interview. Thanks for sharing.

You're welcome. I'd figure you guys would be interested. Mark was very down Earth and friendly.

Arktis
June 2nd, 2006, 08:06 PM
Haha, these guys doing the show are such dweebs. Too much useless talking about nothing on their part, and they don't even seem that knowledgable. Anyways, thanks for posting this. Still listening atm; haven't gotten to the shuttleworth part yet and it's about 15 minutes in...

MenZa
June 2nd, 2006, 09:15 PM
Great! Downloading :)

curuxz
June 2nd, 2006, 09:26 PM
Haha, these guys doing the show are such dweebs. Too much useless talking about nothing on their part, and they don't even seem that knowledgable. Anyways, thanks for posting this. Still listening atm; haven't gotten to the shuttleworth part yet and it's about 15 minutes in...

Thats pretty much them down to a T i think, they really dont seem to know much how they ever managed to get shuttleworths time I really dont know but its a good listen. :)

bonzodog
June 2nd, 2006, 09:34 PM
The interview reveals quite a future for Edgy. It seems that they are going to use the Smart Package Manager, and not apt.

Also it seems XGL might be out of the door in favour of AIGLX.
That is a bloody good interview with mark, very interesting.

Arktis
June 2nd, 2006, 09:37 PM
Thats pretty much them down to a T i think, they really dont seem to know much how they ever managed to get shuttleworths time I really dont know but its a good listen. :)
Yeah, when I finally got to the interview, I really noticed even more that these guys were very unclassy, very poor interviewers, and Shuttleworth was the only one actually holding the interview up. I hope to hear more from him, but I hope it's not with these guys.

Some great perspectives on DRM, 32 bit and 64 bit mixed environments, breif touch on package management and the possibility of adopting smart in the future, and some good stuff about the challenges of maintaining a strong community participation on all levels while putting forth a professional image and end product. Overall I was very pleased with how intelligent, clear, and concise that Shuttleworth was. This guy is my hero.

This interview is definately worth a listen... just fast foward through the beginning until the actual interview starts, listen to the five minutes of commentary afterwards, and forget even listening to the rest.

curuxz
June 2nd, 2006, 10:10 PM
Shuttleworth seems like the kinda guy who has made money from the internet and open source the correct way and is now really giving something back while still keeping his bankmanger happy, he is a fine example of how open source business is viable and how it makes a better world to live in.

The interview had some very intresting takes on edgy and showed his hatred of DRM, which I could not agree with more. I am suprised about the way he described the next version of ubuntu as being developed from our ideas and not his and I would love to see what that produces.

EDIT: I am uploading the interview edited down so that the hour before and after of talking about other stuff is no longer there, its just the 50mins or so with Mark Shuttleworth since its Creative commons licenced there should not be a problem doing this and uploading it. Should be ready in about 15mins :)

EDIT: Here it is: http://www.obsidiandevelopments.com/interview.ogg

hackmeister
June 2nd, 2006, 10:43 PM
Haha, these guys doing the show are such dweebs. Too much useless talking about nothing on their part, and they don't even seem that knowledgable.

As one of the unclassy dweebs who's know nothing I hope you enjoyed the interview. We certainly did. Next time you can line up Mark for an interview on your show. Also if you read the entire first post you would have realized that the interview didn't start until the 34th minute. Perhaps you haven't figured out to skip forward on your favorite media player. I'm sure someone has written up a How-To somewhere. Then again that might not work either since you'd have to read and understand the How-To. Maybe someone could walk you through it.
Cheers!

curuxz
June 2nd, 2006, 10:47 PM
As one of the unclassy dweebs who's know nothing I hope you enjoyed the interview. We certainly did. Next time you can line up Mark for an interview on your show.
Cheers!

I hope you don't mind posting a cut down version, Its just most people here really wana get to the interview :)

I enjoyed the interview personaly tho do think there were a few odd comments about linux programs in general (i listened to the whole show as well as several others). But then its your podcast so who are we to judge ;)

How did you get hold of Mark tho, esp this close to Dapper's release I would have thought an hour of his time would be gold dust ATM

curuxz
June 2nd, 2006, 10:55 PM
As one of the unclassy dweebs who's know nothing I hope you enjoyed the interview. We certainly did. Next time you can line up Mark for an interview on your show. Also if you read the entire first post you would have realized that the interview didn't start until the 34th minute. Perhaps you haven't figured out to skip forward on your favorite media player. I'm sure someone has written up a How-To somewhere. Then again that might not work either since you'd have to read and understand the How-To. Maybe someone could walk you through it.
Cheers!

I see you have edited your post...

Well my reason for posting an edited version is I streamed the interview so could not skip forward, also its a question of file sizes. But since you seem to have been offended, which was not my intention, by the post of a interview only version I will remove my link.

Arktis
June 2nd, 2006, 11:01 PM
As one of the unclassy dweebs who's know nothing I hope you enjoyed the interview. We certainly did. Next time you can line up Mark for an interview on your show.
Cheers!
Yes, thankyou. I did enjoy the interview thoroughly, though some moments were painful to listen to because you guys actually stalled or blurted out things that were fairly off target.

I personally could not have done any better, but then again I don't have a show and I wouldn't because that's not one of the things I do with my life.

What I expect to hear when someone of the weight that Shuttleworth has gets interviewed is some real good quality intellectualy meaty dialogue that is not highly lop-sided or filled with akward moments. Even if the interviewer(s) is/are not knowledgable about the subjects being discussed, their questions should be consistantly evocative and relevant, and they ought to refrain from commentary that is simply opinion or simple observation. Not having those elements strongly present in this interview, and not having a more professional manner before and after the interview (rambling about beer and cigars and various other unrelated things) makes you guys stand out in a painful way. Quite a bit.

My appologies for offending if that's the case here. You guys aren't doing 60 minutes or anything, right? It's probably just arrogance on my part.

hackmeister
June 2nd, 2006, 11:05 PM
I see you have edited your post...

Well my reason for posting an edited version is I streamed the interview so could not skip forward, also its a question of file sizes. But since you seem to have been offended, which was not my intention, by the post of a interview only version I will remove my link.

I'm not offended. You're entitled to your own opinion. Just remember that this is a free and open forum that anyone can read. You can keep your edited version. In fact in the spirit of openness I'll even give you a better quality version of just the interview with Mark.

Lord Illidan
June 2nd, 2006, 11:07 PM
Hearing the cutdown version now. Seems good.

hackmeister
June 2nd, 2006, 11:23 PM
Not having those elements strongly present in this interview, and not having a more professional manner before and after the interview (rambling about beer and cigars and various other unrelated things) makes you guys stand out in a painful way. Quite a bit.

My appologies for offending if that's the case here. You guys aren't doing 60 minutes or anything, right? It's probably just arrogance on my part.

We are not professionals or claim to be. We are linux users who are passionate about it and want to spread the word to as many people as possible. We do a 2 hour show every week and very rarely take breaks. We're not paid and for the most part the expenses come out of our very own pockets. Our listeners sometimes help us out with donations which we greatly appreciate. The interview with Mark was show 142 for us. We usually do a 45-60 minute interview with a guest and another 60-70 minutes. Some of the people we've interviewed include Richard Stallman, Bruce Perens, Eric Raymond, Nat Friedman, Miguel De Icaza, Aaron Seigo and now Mark Shuttleworth. We try to have fun and talk mostly about linux and technology but sometimes wander off. The show is done live and the interviews are as well unless the guest has a time issue. So technically we're not a podcast. We also founded our local LUG which is one of the oldest around so we're not completely clueless about linux. You can go to our website and listen to any of the old episodes free of charge:
http://tllts.org

curuxz
June 2nd, 2006, 11:28 PM
I think the problem here is you had a casual chat with Mark Shuttleworth and for the most part it seemed like just that, a chat. Now im not saying there is anything wrong with that, its your style and your show. But your talking to a load of people that have so many questions for the guy that funds our distro and saves us loads of time and money and to hear you guys pausing (which I understand was partly due to it being a phone convo and lag issues) but it came off a little bit like you were just asking things as they came to you with no set question list of really detailed issues.

Interviews with Mark about Ubuntu are very rare and there were some good questions but im sure some people here would have liked the chance to know this interview was upcomming and contribute qustions, :)

Lord Illidan
June 2nd, 2006, 11:31 PM
I agree with that part about the pausing. It sounds very unprofessional, even if it was no fault of yours. Otherwise, it is v. interesting.

professor_chaos
June 3rd, 2006, 04:42 AM
thank you hackmeister. Without you and your fellow members of TLLtS.org, we wouldn't have the opportunity to hear this interview. Thank you for taking the time to sign up here just to post the link to the interview.

Since I have never heard any of your previous broadcasts, I too had expectations (60 minutes, kind of expectation) before starting the stream, and after hearing the first minute of the stream I was a little caught off guard and thought about skipping directly to the interview. But the more I listened, the more I appreciated the lighthearted banter, and the interview was good.

snarkout
June 3rd, 2006, 07:53 AM
TLLTS rocks. I'm personally amazed at the reception here - very low class, guys and gals. I find that what makes the interviews that they do interesting *is* the informal nature - they aren't LUGRadio style canned and cropped "interviews" - they're like a bunch of friends hanging out and discussing things over a beer or two. I can listen to soundbytes anywhere - TLLTS provides the real deal, raw and uncut.

mostwanted
June 3rd, 2006, 08:02 AM
I heard your Miguel De Icaza interview the other day and it was great. So is this. And I think you're fine interviewers, learned a lot about the drive behind UBuntu.

curuxz
June 3rd, 2006, 09:03 AM
They have provided me with a high quality version of the interview only for those that want a saved a copy, Currently I have posted an edited version of the main show but if anyone finds the quality of the one I posted a little too poor feel free to PM and ill upload the copy they sent.

Thanks for the interview guys.

On a seperate note since we do have Pat now speaking to us on the forums, when one of you installed the KDE and other installed the Kubuntu package you guys seemed suprised that the art work changed on one but not the other. Simple reason to this one, KDE and Kubuntu are both meta-packages and the KDE package installs all the kde related stuff while the Kubuntu package basicaly converts a Ubuntu install into a sudo Kubuntu install hence changing the art work. However it does NOT change the default login manger so your left in the odd possition of having Kubutnu art work, a working KDE system but still Gnome and GDM as the defaults.

Personaly I run a Ubuntu system with KDE as my primary desktop, but never install the Kubuntu package since there are not really that many advantages and I kinda like GDM. Hope that clears that one up :)

nickle
June 3rd, 2006, 09:07 AM
These are young guys getting off their asses and are doing something.
Performing good interviews for 3rd party consumption is a tricky business which requires lots of training and technical knowhow. Nowadays we are all so media savvy, we automatically expect a high standard, but often fail to understand the degree of knowhow required to acheive that.
I can guarentee all those critics that unless they have experience and training, they would probably do a different show according to their style, but it would not sound any more professional!!!
So please be kind to the guys doing this show. With time they will get better at it; learning by doing is such a fun thing...

GREAT, keep up the good work.

ShanghaiTeej
June 3rd, 2006, 09:32 AM
I don't know if anyone has said this before, but the "pausing" is the lag in the internet or their phone system.

vayu
June 3rd, 2006, 10:19 AM
The interview was great. I have a lot of respect for Mark. He's a great man on many levels. The radio show was entertaining and hillarious at times, I'm glad I found it, I'll be listening to it.

greggh
June 3rd, 2006, 03:58 PM
I've been listening to the Linux Link Tech Show for a few months now. They often have some great interviews. For those that complained about the casual unprofessional nature of the show, I think you just don't get it. Not every broadcast has to sound like the evening news.

Iandefor
June 3rd, 2006, 04:28 PM
Interesting. Couple of things:

Sound quality is pretty iffy- Shuttleworth's voice cuts out for about half a second at random intervals.

Pauses sound a little unprofessional- then again, I'm not all that qualified to complain, since I'm not the one rounding up FLOSS bigwigs and interviewing them. Reading through the rest of the thread, I see that it was apparently due to the technology involved, not the actual interviewers.

Thanks for this, I found it invaluable!

Jucato
June 3rd, 2006, 05:47 PM
For those complaining about how TLLTS conducted the interview with Mark, please take a peek of their other episodes. This IS how THEY do THEIR show. The friendly (ok, most of the time the language ain't that friendly :p), unconventional, and unique way they do interviews is their trademark (not to mention the "playful" banter they do in the first few minutes of the show). They're not simply bunch of newcasters or reporters. Besides, just think: if they really have a bad reputation of being "unprofessional", would big people like Mark Shuttleworth of Miguel de Icaza take time to be in their show? [/rant]

Anyway, I've only been through a couple of minutes of the interview. Is the quality a bit low? I downloaded it immediately when it was made available, so I was wondering if there was a new/edited version that was made?

curuxz
June 3rd, 2006, 05:51 PM
Anyway, I've only been through a couple of minutes of the interview. Is the quality a bit low? I downloaded it immediately when it was made available, so I was wondering if there was a new/edited version that was made?

I have a HQ version of just the interview if you want it feel free to PM me with how you would like it sent to you, I cant give out the link since its not on their main server or something like that so I have to give it out one by one, alternatively there is just the interview edited from the main show, link futher up the page.

sophtpaw
June 3rd, 2006, 07:10 PM
Good Interview.

I'm glad Mark Shuttleworth is at the helm of the Ubuntu ship. And the next release (Edgy?) isgoing to be community driven! Peoples top 5 ideas. What will we see?

Smart sounds great too. Can we get smart already on Ubuntu?

But Mark lives in London and there was no Dapper party on June 1st

papangul
June 4th, 2006, 02:13 AM
I have a HQ version of just the interview if you want it feel free to PM me with how you would like it sent to you,...
Can't you upload it to a file hosting site?

hackmeister
June 4th, 2006, 09:01 PM
For those of you who can't stand to listen through our playful banter:'
http://www.tllts.org/archives/tllts_shuttleworth.ogg
http://www.tllts.org/archives/tllts_shuttleworth.mp3

Enjoy!

Pat from TLLTS

http://tllts.org - The Linux Link Tech Show

danns
June 5th, 2006, 06:40 AM

And if you really, really want a higher quality (these are 32kb at 22050hz) you can email me dann at thelinuxlink.net and I can rip a higher quality from the original interview. These should suffice, though, for most people.

nalmeth
June 5th, 2006, 07:05 AM
That was a really cool interview. I join in thanking you for registering just to share it. :)

It seemed pretty relaxed and open-ended. Good discussion

henriquemaia
June 5th, 2006, 07:38 AM

Enjoy!

Pat from TLLTS

http://tllts.org - The Linux Link Tech Show

Thanks again for posting this.

Mathias-K
June 7th, 2006, 12:07 PM
My thanks go to the guys who made it and the heads up about it here. Mark Shuttleworth's style of being the talkative and professionalistic distribution leader and speaker is really nice.

As for the critizism, I can see both points. It would have been relevant to ask Mark why Launchpad is not free software when he talked about it, but they were quite critical with games.

Overall I'm pleased with the interview :)