PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ubuntu issues..need help in reinstallation

subterranean7
October 22nd, 2011, 07:54 PM
So, I installed ubuntu 11.04 recently. A few days later, I get a notification on my desktop saying that I should upgrade to 11.10. I think, "why not?" So, I install it, and now I have quite the problem. The first problem, is when I select to boot up ubuntu (I'm dual booting with ubuntu and windows 7), I just get a black screen with a few texts. These text are saying stuff like checking bluetooth [ok], and things like that. However, nothing happens after. So, I have to go to terminal and enter startx. This is the only way to get past the black screen. The problems only get worse after this. For one, it won't let me connect to my internet via wireless. I also have no sound.

Today, I decided to download 11.10 from the website, and burned it to a dvd. I restarted my computer and ran it. Ubuntu works perfectly.

Is there a way to reinstall ubuntu 11.10? I heard there was a special way to remove ubuntu because I did the full installation and dual boot thing. Unless there isn't. What should I do? (I've also noticed that it installed the 32bit version. The CD had 64bit... not sure if this helps out or not.)

critin
October 22nd, 2011, 08:52 PM
This is just a tip to relieve stress.

11.10 is very new and has many quirks even for the experts. Unless you know linux like the back of your hand, I suggest reinstalling your 11.04 since it worked fine. Use it until most of the issues of 11.10 have been worked out. Sometimes 11.10 works immediately, on other computers it doesn't. Live cds always worked great for me, but after installing the issues are shown.

Read the forums and learn what the issues are and if you think you can handle them, go ahead with it. But it sounds as if 11.04 worked best for your system. The bugs have mostly been worked out of it. 10.10, 10.04 are perfect for new users, and adding docks and widgets to sort of emulate the newer look is easy.

Enjoy whichever system you choose; it is (or should be) enjoyable. Install a second disk for your dual boot and play/learn Ubuntu without worry of destroying your main os. It is never boring. lol

critin

subterranean7
October 23rd, 2011, 09:28 PM
so..how do i replace 11.10 with 11.04? (I'm a noob at linux as you can see)