PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 11.10 - Can't use it

dvanzo
October 22nd, 2011, 07:19 PM
Hi!

Vostro 1500,4Gb, Nvidia 8600M GT

Used this notebook since 9.04 without problems until 10.10 (current install).

I'm trying to test 11.10 installing it into an externar disk (fresh install - done with previous versions). The install process ends ok, but when boot the first time, no graphics environment at all... Switched to tty1, reinstall X, Nvida, etc... The closest to a working machine was to reach the login (lightdm) screen... Enter user and password... checking battery state... and loging screen again... No way to use it...
Something weird... The user has his HOME folder, but none of the others folders like Documents, Download, Music, etc...

<rant>
Really, I cant understand how a notebook working since 3 years ago with every Ubuntu version out of the box, suddenly doesn't work anymore...
</rant>

Any idea??

masgeeks
October 22nd, 2011, 07:21 PM
Have you tried testing with a live CD or live USB stick...???

raja.genupula
October 22nd, 2011, 07:35 PM
have you pressed ctrl+alt+f7 ?

and do one more thing

sudo start lightdm

type that at the commnad prompt.

All the best.

dvanzo
October 22nd, 2011, 11:04 PM
Have you tried testing with a live CD or live USB stick...???
Yes, I tried... To install it, I boot with an USB stick and works like a charm!! It's later, when its installed that it doesn't work... Imagine...

Regards!

dvanzo
October 22nd, 2011, 11:05 PM
have you pressed ctrl+alt+f7 ?

and do one more thing

sudo start lightdm

type that at the commnad prompt.

All the best.
Yep, I tried it too... No errors, but no graphic environment... Even I tried gdm without luck...

Regards!

raja.genupula
October 23rd, 2011, 04:06 AM
Yep, I tried it too... No errors, but no graphic environment... Even I tried gdm without luck...

Regards!

Hey man i have got two links with different suggestions and dont worry about disto version.Hope they gonna help you.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=941842

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1481043

all the best.