PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Roll back to previous version ?

Bruv
October 22nd, 2011, 01:40 PM
I took the easy route and upgraded from Natty to Oneiric and regret it.
I am no Ubuntu expert, I just want a system to work.
Oneiric keeps freezing, nothing helps other than pulling the plug and rebooting then everything is fine.
I can't find my way around it either, cant make shortcuts on the desktop and want to roll back to Natty.

Do I need to just reinstall from the disk I used to install it in the first place ?

haqking
October 22nd, 2011, 01:42 PM
I took the easy route and upgraded from Natty to Oneiric and regret it.
I am no Ubuntu expert, I just want a system to work.
Oneiric keeps freezing, nothing helps other than pulling the plug and rebooting then everything is fine.
I can't find my way around it either, cant make shortcuts on the desktop and want to roll back to Natty.

Do I need to just reinstall from the disk I used to install it in the first place ?

you can not downgrade or rollback, a fresh install is the best way to go unless you can solve your issues.

Make sure you have your data backed up, and before upgrading always try the new system from a live USB or similar, and when you re-install go to update manager and turn off the release upgrade option otherwise you will be back in 11.10 again ;-)

Good luck

subhadip_sky
October 22nd, 2011, 02:11 PM
You shouldn't have upgraded, upgrade gives all kind of headaches unless you know how to handle them right. A clean install is the best choice. I am using Oneiric too and I still think it's less buggy than Natty was. Do a clean install then try it.

Bruv
October 22nd, 2011, 02:20 PM
I have found by researching that even making desktop shortcuts is impossible or difficult in Oneiric, plus the irritation of everything being hidden most of the time, unless it's me being new to it, I find it less useable than Natty.
I have found out after upgrading that it's best to install fresh rather than upgrade, but that is no help to me now.
Think I will just dig out the original Natty disc and go from there, thanks for the input.

haqking
October 22nd, 2011, 02:24 PM
I have found by researching that even making desktop shortcuts is impossible or difficult in Oneiric, plus the irritation of everything being hidden most of the time, unless it's me being new to it, I find it less useable than Natty.
I have found out after upgrading that it's best to install fresh rather than upgrade, but that is no help to me now.
Think I will just dig out the original Natty disc and go from there, thanks for the input.

no worries, remember to turn off the release upgrade in your 11.04 fresh install also or you may end backup in 11.10 ;)

Good luck, hope you have backups

Bruv
October 22nd, 2011, 10:46 PM
I am back in Natty.
I am always amazed how easy it is to install Linux.

I have in the past installed other systems, although no expert, Linux just installs, others you have to nurture, watch and wonder what will happen, installing other bits afterwards and tweak and stuff.
Took me about 30 odd minutes, didn't time it, but have spent hours installing windows before now.

subhadip_sky
October 23rd, 2011, 03:02 AM
Now change it to SOLVED