PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] 11.10 Gnome shell, no hot corner

grigglestone
October 22nd, 2011, 03:52 AM
The following thread deals with disabling hot corner behavior http://askubuntu.com/questions/5573/how-do-you-disable-the-automatic-activation-of-gnome-shell-activities-button

I have the opposite problem in that I can't get hot corner to work. I see no ripple effect or activation occurring.

I thought it might be something to do with compiz. I found compiz-pugins-extra was not installed, so I added that and reinstalled Gnome shell, but still no hot corner.

I followed teh thread above to see if I needed to reverse what it said but found the settings in layout.js were correct.

What else could it be?

Any thoughts would be most welcome.

drawkcab
October 22nd, 2011, 05:43 AM
You can try hitting the super/windows button to see if you can toggle in and out. I found that upgrading from 11.04 causes some minor bugs with Gnome Shell.

grigglestone
October 22nd, 2011, 12:32 PM
You can try hitting the super/windows button to see if you can toggle in and out. I found that upgrading from 11.04 causes some minor bugs with Gnome Shell.

thanks I was aware of the windows button usage, but I was looking to understand the hot corner behavior and why that does not work

crdlb
October 22nd, 2011, 10:30 PM
GNOME Shell doesn't use compiz. Are you using any Shell extensions? The Applications menu extension in particular is known to cause this.

grigglestone
October 23rd, 2011, 12:35 AM
GNOME Shell doesn't use compiz.

So if I'm committed to the GNOME Shell I should be able to totally remove compiz?

Are you using any Shell extensions?

I have:

The alternative status menu (but I think I had the problem before I installed that)
Battery
Network
Speaker

The Applications menu extension in particular is known to cause this.

Not using it .. appmenu-gtk was installed, but I removed that.

Any further thoughts would be most welcome.

cbowman57
October 23rd, 2011, 01:15 AM
Yes, you can dump compiz.

Hit alt+f2 then type lg & press enter. Look to see if there are any problems listed under the Errors tab.

grigglestone
October 23rd, 2011, 01:46 AM
Yes, you can dump compiz.

Hit alt+f2 then type lg & press enter. Look to see if there are any problems listed under the Errors tab.

no errors .. did completely remove compiz and unity and now get the hot corner

happy camper!

cbowman57
October 23rd, 2011, 02:41 AM
Super! :)