PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] install alongside W7 -> pink screen of death?

GVK
October 22nd, 2011, 01:13 AM
Hello all,

This is my first post so I'll give a brief introduction.

I've been playing around with a bootable usb key with lucid on it for about two months (my introduction to linux based OS'es) now and decided to make the second shift from old to new by making an install alongside W7. I pulled the new release, 11.10, from canonical's website, wrote to dvd and made the install.

This is where everything goes wrong.

instead of the booting screen i get the pink screen of death. And yes, I tested it first through the bootable disc option and that worked just fine. Recovery mode also works but i'm still quite the noob when it comes to the command line. (cheat-sheet style)

I'm running a system with an intel i3 2100 HD processor, AMD radeon HD6670 directx 11 graphics card, 4GB ddr3 ram memory, and a 1.5TB harddrive from a "white label".

What's going wrong? i read through some of the threads pertaining this subject but apart from bashing the new release i haven't read anything that's really usefull to me. Is it the graphics card perhaps? All info is welcome.

And of course hello to you all, I look forward to learning more about this wonderous world of Linux.

jalms
October 22nd, 2011, 01:44 AM
Don't know how to help you, I'm sorry, but I feel it would be useful if you'd clear if you installed it alongside W7 or through WUBI.

critin
October 22nd, 2011, 02:08 AM
Don't know about your issue, but I'd recommend something other than the latest, unstable release for new users. Brand new releases often give even experienced users problems that they can't fix.

<< i read through some of the threads pertaining this subject but apart from bashing the new release i haven't read anything that's really usefull to me.>>

10.04 is the last Long Term release. A good, solid version. So is 10.10. They shouldn't give any problems.

critin

ubupirate
October 22nd, 2011, 02:10 AM
I would go with 10.04, as you will be able to directly upgrade to 12.04 when it's released and when you are ready. 10.10 is reaching EOL in a few months, and 10.04 will continue to have support until April 2013.

GVK
October 25th, 2011, 01:36 AM
Don't know how to help you, I'm sorry, but I feel it would be useful if you'd clear if you installed it alongside W7 or through WUBI.

I installed it alongside of W7 through the option given at install. I also read that it is wise to make three partitions ( /, /home, swap) but the install alongside option just makes one partition, although probably unrelated, could this cause any problems later on?

I think i'll go with the advice to go with the LTS releases as I work my way up the linux way. I'm still checking out the different distros anyway so maybe I won't be hanging around these parts.

Thanks for the advice guys!

GVK