PDA

View Full Version : Huge Doubt

IL TRIVELLA
October 21st, 2011, 11:32 PM
Hello everybody,

I need help for take one really important decision, I have a big doubt because I need to buy a new laptop, but I don't know if buy a good pc and of course install straight away Ubuntu, or buy for the first time in my life the really expensive MacBook Pro...

I love Ubuntu, and I'm grateful of all what I did with him after that I leave forever the damned Windows, but because don't born on the machines that we use, give problems, at least at me Ubuntu gave many problems, absolutely less then Windows, but problems the same, like a problem with the updates, problem with skype etc etc, if I want continue with Ubuntu I can buy a really powerfull computer, like the Dell xps 17 for example and put inside Ubuntu, with the risk that I will still have problems because maybe the laptop will not recognize the operative system and maybe the webcam, will not work, the microphone etc etc, and I will need time for fix all of this asking help on the forum, if a buy the Mac, I go on the sure way that everything will work, mic, skype, updates, applications, webcam, everything, with many things that are working on it, not like in Ubuntu that we have to use always different applications that are created only for this OS, I can connect the Mac, with almost everything and with every Dj console on this planet (I like to do a Dj like Hobby, but I'm a little bit crap ;)) thing that I cannot do with Ubuntu, the Mac will survive longer time, and if I will sell it in a couple of year still will have value, thing that I cannot say about the Dell, I will miss Ubuntu if I will buy a Mac, but I'm fed up of problems, I want a computer that works and I don't have to do anything else, everything will work without problems from the first moment that I turn on the computer, but Mac is so expensive, I mean for me it is, and the model that I want buy is not powerfull like the Dell but is really expensive...

what I have to do? thanks...

gsmanners
October 22nd, 2011, 12:02 AM
Well, good luck with whatever you decide. :D

BigCityCat
October 22nd, 2011, 12:15 AM
I went to best buy and did absolutely no research whatsoever and everything works out of the box. I just bought the one I liked the most for the price I was looking for. You should go with intel hardware.

BigCityCat
October 22nd, 2011, 12:17 AM
Well, good luck with whatever you decide. :D

I like your solution better than mine. lol or maybe this thread should be moved to reoccurring.:D

3Miro
October 22nd, 2011, 12:33 AM
Macs are nice, but they are way too expensive. They sure retain value, but I wouldn't waste my money on one. My system76 machine is perfect for my work and it costs half of what a Mac would.

Isn't there some System76 company in Italy? It seems that you need to buy a laptop configured specially for Ubuntu. You can probably buy a custom build Laptop with say Intel video (stay away from Optiums) and Intel wireless (most Intel wireless models have great support for Linux). Another option is to get a model that you can test with a LiveCD before-hand, test all the functionality and if it works well you can go for it.

b2zeldafreak
October 22nd, 2011, 12:46 AM
Hello everybody,

I need help for take one really important decision, I have a big doubt because I need to buy a new laptop, but I don't know if buy a good pc and of course install straight away Ubuntu, or buy for the first time in my life the really expensive MacBook Pro...

I love Ubuntu, and I'm grateful of all what I did with him after that I leave forever the damned Windows, but because don't born on the machines that we use, give problems, at least at me Ubuntu gave many problems, absolutely less then Windows, but problems the same, like a problem with the updates, problem with skype etc etc, if I want continue with Ubuntu I can buy a really powerfull computer, like the Dell xps 17 for example and put inside Ubuntu, with the risk that I will still have problems because maybe the laptop will not recognize the operative system and maybe the webcam, will not work, the microphone etc etc, and I will need time for fix all of this asking help on the forum, if a buy the Mac, I go on the sure way that everything will work, mic, skype, updates, applications, webcam, everything, with many things that are working on it, not like in Ubuntu that we have to use always different applications that are created only for this OS, I can connect the Mac, with almost everything and with every Dj console on this planet (I like to do a Dj like Hobby, but I'm a little bit crap ;)) thing that I cannot do with Ubuntu, the Mac will survive longer time, and if I will sell it in a couple of year still will have value, thing that I cannot say about the Dell, I will miss Ubuntu if I will buy a Mac, but I'm fed up of problems, I want a computer that works and I don't have to do anything else, everything will work without problems from the first moment that I turn on the computer, but Mac is so expensive, I mean for me it is, and the model that I want buy is not powerfull like the Dell but is really expensive...

what I have to do? thanks...

I have a Dell XPS 17. It's a nice laptop and it's great for many things, so long as you don't want a portable computer.

My question for you is: What do you primarily use your computer for?

Why do you want a laptop?

If you go with the XPS 17, 95% of the time you will want to work at a desk with the computer plugged in. Now if you move between desks alot, this might be good. But are you really going to use the power? If you are, and you're not planning on using the laptop at a desk with a plug a lot, I recommend going with a desktop.

Do you want portability, and only need midline power? Then the Macbook/Pro is the computer for you. The Macbook will just work 98% of the time, which is what you want from a portable computer. It has good battery life, and the perfect size to use in your lap, or on a table, and to easily move and fit in a bag. In addition there are alot of nice apps on the app store, it has good back up and restore options, etc. (Speaking on terms of the 13 inch MBPro with regard to size.)

For DJ'ing I would probably go with the Macbook. I wouldn't get an XPS 17 unless you're in the niche market where you move between desks alot.

If you need portability, and a powerful computer, but not at the same time, I would look into a desktop (that will be cheaper than a power laptop), and something like the Acer TimelineX for portability. Or a Macbook. A normal Macbook @ 800$ plus a 600$ desktop will give you a desktop as powerful as the XPS 17, and a portable Macbook, for the price of a 1400$ XPS 17.

drawkcab
October 22nd, 2011, 01:03 AM
You can buy a mac and still dual boot Ubuntu and Mac OS. Sounds like that's a good option for you. But damn, they are expensive.

In the US Lenovo sells some very nice thinkpads that are supposed to work with Linux and don't come with Windows.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/thinkpad-laptops-with-dos.shtml

dpny
October 22nd, 2011, 01:05 AM
Probably better you ask this question in the Apple forum.

IL TRIVELLA
October 22nd, 2011, 01:14 AM
Macs are nice, but they are way too expensive. They sure retain value, but I wouldn't waste my money on one. My system76 machine is perfect for my work and it costs half of what a Mac would.

Isn't there some System76 company in Italy? It seems that you need to buy a laptop configured specially for Ubuntu. You can probably buy a custom build Laptop with say Intel video (stay away from Optiums) and Intel wireless (most Intel wireless models have great support for Linux). Another option is to get a model that you can test with a LiveCD before-hand, test all the functionality and if it works well you can go for it.

no, in Italy we don't have System76, is the first time that I heard about that, the point is that I like Ubuntu, and that is for free and all the apps for free etc etc, but I always have problems, I want one computer where everything will work, and I'm positive that with Mac this will happen...

I have a Dell XPS 17. It's a nice laptop and it's great for many things, so long as you don't want a portable computer.

My question for you is: What do you primarily use your computer for?

Why do you want a laptop?

If you go with the XPS 17, 95% of the time you will want to work at a desk with the computer plugged in. Now if you move between desks alot, this might be good. But are you really going to use the power? If you are, and you're not planning on using the laptop at a desk with a plug a lot, I recommend going with a desktop.

Do you want portability, and only need midline power? Then the Macbook/Pro is the computer for you. The Macbook will just work 98% of the time, which is what you want from a portable computer. It has good battery life, and the perfect size to use in your lap, or on a table, and to easily move and fit in a bag. In addition there are alot of nice apps on the app store, it has good back up and restore options, etc. (Speaking on terms of the 13 inch MBPro with regard to size.)

For DJ'ing I would probably go with the Macbook. I wouldn't get an XPS 17 unless you're in the niche market where you move between desks alot.

If you need portability, and a powerful computer, but not at the same time, I would look into a desktop (that will be cheaper than a power laptop), and something like the Acer TimelineX for portability. Or a Macbook. A normal Macbook @ 800$ plus a 600$ desktop will give you a desktop as powerful as the XPS 17, and a portable Macbook, for the price of a 1400$ XPS 17.

look I use my laptop for go in internet, facebook, various websites, for skype, for listen music, watch films and download both in large quantity, write on office (rarely) and to play to do the Dj, edit music and pictures, make videos, also sometimes, this is what I do with the laptop, I'm thinking to buy the MacBook Pro of 13 inch that cost in Italy 1.158€ that for my wallet is a lot, but I think will be a investment for the future, no more problems and a really good computer, then I have also to say that for my job I travel always and a lot maybe the XPS 17 will be too big for this, and anyway I check in the website of Mac and there are no more MacBook normal, only Air or Pro :(

You can buy a mac and still dual boot Ubuntu and Mac OS. Sounds like that's a good option for you. But damn, they are expensive.

In the US Lenovo sells some very nice thinkpads that are supposed to work with Linux and don't come with Windows.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/thinkpad-laptops-with-dos.shtml

I had in the past already one Lenovo with Ubuntu, nothing was working I sell it because I was desperate...

3Miro
October 22nd, 2011, 01:26 AM
no, in Italy we don't have System76, is the first time that I heard about that, the point is that I like Ubuntu, and that is for free and all the apps for free etc etc, but I always have problems, I want one computer where everything will work, and I'm positive that with Mac this will happen...

Every laptop just works with the OS that it comes with by default. If you want to install another OS afterwards, then it may not work so easily.

System76 is a company that sells custom laptops with Ubuntu pre-installed. They ship their laptops to USA and UK (I don't think they are selling anything in Italy). On their machines, Ubuntu just works.

Couple of years ago, my sister got an HP laptop and even though she wasn't specifically looking, she got one that is perfect for Linux. She has everything from wireless to visual effects straight from a LiveCD. Linux just works.

Here is a web-page that can help you:

http://www.linux-laptop.net/

They have models with reviews, you may find a model that just works.

IL TRIVELLA
October 22nd, 2011, 01:54 AM
Every laptop just works with the OS that it comes with by default. If you want to install another OS afterwards, then it may not work so easily.

System76 is a company that sells custom laptops with Ubuntu pre-installed. They ship their laptops to USA and UK (I don't think they are selling anything in Italy). On their machines, Ubuntu just works.

Couple of years ago, my sister got an HP laptop and even though she wasn't specifically looking, she got one that is perfect for Linux. She has everything from wireless to visual effects straight from a LiveCD. Linux just works.

Here is a web-page that can help you:

http://www.linux-laptop.net/

They have models with reviews, you may find a model that just works.

Thanks for this list is really interesting, there is the fact that still I don't know what to do, Mac or Pc with Ubuntu???

collisionystm
October 22nd, 2011, 01:59 AM
I went to best buy and did absolutely no research whatsoever and everything works out of the box. I just bought the one I liked the most for the price I was looking for. You should go with intel hardware.

Yes stay with intel. It works the best on Ubuntu!

But If you can afford the Mac I would go for it ;)
MacBooks are sweet!

3Miro
October 22nd, 2011, 02:39 AM
Thanks for this list is really interesting, there is the fact that still I don't know what to do, Mac or Pc with Ubuntu???

None of us can make that decision for you. We can only give you information and opinion. If it was me, I wouldn't go for Mac, but rather Linux pre-installed laptop (I have done that twice now). You will have to decide what to do in your case.

cariboo
October 22nd, 2011, 03:06 AM
We recently got my 81 year old Dad an Acer with an AMD E-350 CPU 4GiB Ram and of course AMD graphics, I had to see if Ubuntu would work on, and tried a Oneiric Beta USB thumb drive. I found everything worked out of the box.

b2zeldafreak
October 22nd, 2011, 03:09 AM

look I use my laptop for go in internet, facebook, various websites, for skype, for listen music, watch films and download both in large quantity, write on office (rarely) and to play to do the Dj, edit music and pictures, make videos, also sometimes, this is what I do with the laptop, I'm thinking to buy the MacBook Pro of 13 inch that cost in Italy 1.158€ that for my wallet is a lot, but I think will be a investment for the future, no more problems and a really good computer, then I have also to say that for my job I travel always and a lot maybe the XPS 17 will be too big for this, and anyway I check in the website of Mac and there are no more MacBook normal, only Air or Pro :(

I had in the past already one Lenovo with Ubuntu, nothing was working I sell it because I was desperate...

I would say go with the Macbook then. I thought for sure they still had normal Macbooks, but if not, you could look at authorized Refurbs, those are usually a pretty good deal.

A 13' Mac will, in my opinion, give you the best portability, stability, and battery life for a mobile system.

If you're looking to boot Ubuntu primarily and want to save some money, you can look at some of the smaller Acer laptops, MSI laptops, smaller Dell laptops (I thought Dell had an XPS 13 or 14, or something along those lines).
Most companies that sell laptops will have the 13-14 inch laptops. I think they're called ultra-portable by most. Lenovo, Asus, and MSI are probably your best bet.

Hope that helps you.

IL TRIVELLA
October 22nd, 2011, 10:13 AM
Yes stay with intel. It works the best on Ubuntu!

But If you can afford the Mac I would go for it ;)
MacBooks are sweet!

both Mac and Dell use Intel technology, the point if I keep Ubuntu, is to find a computer good for my needs, where Ubuntu will work completely, and will not give me problems, because at the moment yes I can afford to buy a MacBook Pro, but it's still a lot for me and after bought it, I will need to save my money...

I would say go with the Macbook then. I thought for sure they still had normal Macbooks, but if not, you could look at authorized Refurbs, those are usually a pretty good deal.

A 13' Mac will, in my opinion, give you the best portability, stability, and battery life for a mobile system.

If you're looking to boot Ubuntu primarily and want to save some money, you can look at some of the smaller Acer laptops, MSI laptops, smaller Dell laptops (I thought Dell had an XPS 13 or 14, or something along those lines).
Most companies that sell laptops will have the 13-14 inch laptops. I think they're called ultra-portable by most. Lenovo, Asus, and MSI are probably your best bet.

Hope that helps you.

I think I will go for the Mac... :-k

collisionystm
October 22nd, 2011, 02:01 PM
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=bqctt2&c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&model_id=vostro-v131

Something tells me Ubuntu would work completely on here!

collisionystm
October 22nd, 2011, 02:05 PM
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=bqctt2&c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&model_id=vostro-v131

Although I see that it is only 13 inches.. that's a bummer.

The Vostro 3000 series are Ubuntu's flagship computer. Its the same series you see on the front page of Ubuntu.com

I had a 3750 with an I3 and Sandy bridge. EVERYTHING worked immediately and flawlessly.

HermanAB
October 22nd, 2011, 02:35 PM
Easy really. HP, Dell and Lenovo notebooks usually work perfectly with Linux. Toshiba and Sony not so much.

drawkcab
October 22nd, 2011, 03:16 PM
The general rule is that it sometimes takes a while for the Linux Kernel to catch up and properly support the latest hardware. A couple of times now I've bought the latest laptops from taiwan and I've had to wait for a Kernel update to get everything supported out of the box.

Second, sometimes hardware just doesn't work with Linux. I've had a few of those broadcom cards and sometimes they work, sometimes they dont.

Third, recent AMD/ATI stuff seems to work just fine with Linux.

pelle.k
October 22nd, 2011, 05:37 PM
If you, by purely by ideological reason don't want to buy an apple product, i would probably say go for one of those new "Ultrabooks" that's been the talk of the town this recent month. They look very minimalistic, and well engineered to me. They are probably also a bit more expensive than a cheapo-plastic notebook though. In my mind, it's totally worth it. But i'm quite picky about computers.
The upside to buying an apple product is that you can fall back to running (just temporarily, or perhaps full time) OSX, should you want to. Now, the same could probably be said of an ultrabook and windows 7. I guess it depends on what you prefer! I like OSX because it's fairly close to a linux system when you get down and dirty (bash, gnu utils etc), but need some proprietary software that's not available in linux.

That said, personally i have an iMac (because of the form factor and looks), and would prefer a tablet for my portable computing needs. But i don't do the same type of work on my desktop, as i would on a portable system.

Good luck, whatever you choose! :)

IL TRIVELLA
October 22nd, 2011, 06:07 PM

Wow, I didn't know that Dell made a computer for Ubuntu, and I never seen before that in the homepage of Ubuntu the computer is Dell, pity that I don't like this model, but thanks...

Easy really. HP, Dell and Lenovo notebooks usually work perfectly with Linux. Toshiba and Sony not so much.

I used with Ubuntu, two computers, one Lenovo and I sell it really soon cause nothing was working, I try to solve every problems asking help in few forum, but some of them was unsolvable, and so I sell the Lenovo, but I also used on an Acer, and I had problems also on this, actually is the one that I'm using right now, but a lot less then Lenovo, maybe now is different, and I'm starting to think that now more and more computers are maybe better for use Ubuntu on, maybe now the Computers Companies are doing something for avoid the problems that people found using Ubuntu, I dunno but I hope so...

there is something that I'm thinking, a normal computer in plastic is look weak, a Mac is look pretty and really strong, it is true???

If you, by purely by ideological reason don't want to buy an apple product, i would probably say go for one of those new "Ultrabooks" that's been the talk of the town this recent month. They look very minimalistic, and well engineered to me. They are probably also a bit more expensive than a cheapo-plastic notebook though. In my mind, it's totally worth it. But i'm quite picky about computers.
The upside to buying an apple product is that you can fall back to running (just temporarily, or perhaps full time) OSX, should you want to. Now, the same could probably be said of an ultrabook and windows 7. I guess it depends on what you prefer! I like OSX because it's fairly close to a linux system when you get down and dirty (bash, gnu utils etc), but need some proprietary software that's not available in linux.

That said, personally i have an iMac (because of the form factor and looks), and would prefer a tablet for my portable computing needs. But i don't do the same type of work on my desktop, as i would on a portable system.

Good luck, whatever you choose! :smile:

I like Ubuntu and I think is getting better always more and more, and in the future will be the best, and already people that are working in apple shops told me that Linux is the best, and maybe is really right to say that now more and more laptops are working much better with Ubuntu then before, but there is the risk, and I will like to stay on Ubuntu but Mac is so bloody attractive to me, is looking like the Ferrari of computers, the top of the top, the one that you buy and you say "finally the perfect computer" and you will feel in paradise, aaaaaaaaaah I really don't know... ](*,)

meh_phistopheles
October 22nd, 2011, 07:27 PM
i buy things on principle, so i would say don't buy mac because they have a terrible record with sweatshop exploitation and all that.

if you want a proprietary operating system, i would give windows another chance. the bill and melinda gates foundation is an amazing organization. they really go out of their way to help humanity, in general. not to mention the fact that bill gates has promised to give 90% of his money when he dies to charity.

so that's what mac vs windows boils down to for me: windows which has an amazing charity associated with it now, or mac which is the poster child for sweatshop exploitation and has done nothing but fetishize the computer industry.

gsmanners
October 22nd, 2011, 07:40 PM
Do we really want another Mac v Windows thread here?

masgeeks
October 22nd, 2011, 07:46 PM
I've had good luck with Dell - I would always buy Dell because I have a line of credit with them. Most stuff works out of the box, some hardware I've had to fight with... like wireless adapter on one, card reader on another.

On 11.10, the ATI drivers are an issue if you want to use gnome shell, however - so if you get anything with ATI video and want to use gnome shell, just don't load the proprietary drivers - go with the free ones... at least until the ATI issue with gnome shell is resolved...

wolfen69
October 22nd, 2011, 09:15 PM
Buy a laptop with all Intel chipsets, and you will be fine with linux.

IL TRIVELLA
October 22nd, 2011, 11:54 PM
i buy things on principle, so i would say don't buy mac because they have a terrible record with sweatshop exploitation and all that.

if you want a proprietary operating system, i would give windows another chance. the bill and melinda gates foundation is an amazing organization. they really go out of their way to help humanity, in general. not to mention the fact that bill gates has promised to give 90% of his money when he dies to charity.

so that's what mac vs windows boils down to for me: windows which has an amazing charity associated with it now, or mac which is the poster child for sweatshop exploitation and has done nothing but fetishize the computer industry.

I really respect this, and understand and I can only agree, but Windows for me is the worst operative system that I can use, and I will never go back on it again, from the moment that I leave it, I felt straight better and I never missed, I care about what you wrote, but I have to use the laptop, so I want a laptop that work, never mind the brand, I care only that work how I want, and Mac I guess that do this!

I've had good luck with Dell - I would always buy Dell because I have a line of credit with them. Most stuff works out of the box, some hardware I've had to fight with... like wireless adapter on one, card reader on another.

On 11.10, the ATI drivers are an issue if you want to use gnome shell, however - so if you get anything with ATI video and want to use gnome shell, just don't load the proprietary drivers - go with the free ones... at least until the ATI issue with gnome shell is resolved...

this is what I'm looking for, the Dell XPS 17 with this details:

2nd generation Intel® Core™ i7-2670QM processor 2.20 GHz with Turbo Boost up to 3.10 GHz
44 cm (17.3 ") + HD WLED True-Life (1600x900) 2.0 Mega Pixel Webcam with integrated change
Memory Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM 8,192 GB, 1,333 MHz [2x4.096] changes
Serial ATA hard drive 500 GB (7,200 rpm) change
DVD + / - RW Drive (read / write CD & DVD) change
NVIDIA ® GeForce ® GT 555m 3GB change
Lithium-Ion Primary Battery 9-cell 90 Wh

you think that Ubuntu will work completely out of the box?

so you mean that if a computer have Intel chipset, whatever is, Ubuntu will work good, without problems?

collisionystm
October 23rd, 2011, 02:08 AM

+1 times infinity.

IL TRIVELLA
October 23rd, 2011, 02:23 PM
+1 times infinity.

so you too mean that if a computer have Intel chipset, whatever is, Ubuntu will work good, without problems?

and anyway there is something why I love so much Ubuntu, this forum, where the people are really nice, kind, polite, helpful and friendly...

Flymo
October 23rd, 2011, 03:40 PM
so you too mean that if a computer have Intel chipset, whatever is, Ubuntu will work good, without problems?

and anyway there is something why I love so much Ubuntu, this forum, where the people are really nice, kind, polite, helpful and friendly...

Bless you for that last paragraph - yes, these are wonderful forums (fora?) and they have been so helpful to me too.

I'm not up to date on the latest Intel hardware, but the old Acer 4315 we have is mostly intel (Celeron 540 and X3150 graphics) It works 100% since the graphics driver was sorted out over 2 years ago. Even does the Compiz spinny cube desktop! ;)

IL TRIVELLA
October 23rd, 2011, 09:18 PM
Bless you for that last paragraph - yes, these are wonderful forums (fora?) and they have been so helpful to me too.

I'm not up to date on the latest Intel hardware, but the old Acer 4315 we have is mostly intel (Celeron 540 and X3150 graphics) It works 100% since the graphics driver was sorted out over 2 years ago. Even does the Compiz spinny cube desktop! ;)

is just what I think, and you all made me think this, and then I have to say that you help me even if my english is really bad, so...

seems like that I was the only one to have serious problems with Ubuntu on my laptop, I found this website that show which computers are certified by Linux that are working with Ubuntu http://www.ubuntu.com/certification and Dell is seems be the perfect one, and is actually the one that I was thinking to buy, before to think at the Mac, maybe now many issues are solved, and with the Dell I will not have problems at all (would be great) but still stay the fact that with Ubuntu we cannot use many things that we can use with Mac and Windows, like for example a Dj console, so I'm still stuck in the middle between Mac and Ubuntu, I really dunno what to do... :(

rasmus91
October 23rd, 2011, 11:22 PM
Hmm... Well It's a hard choice...

I've been trying to send Windows flying out my front door ever since i discovered the most amazing piece of software in the world: Linux

BUT! I haven't been able to do so. i wanna play Games, and they just won't work with wine... simple as that, i do exactly what other people have done, yet to no avail. so i can surely recognize the problem part.

BUT! you're talking about buying a Mac. I know so many people who have bought a Mac (and are contempt with it) but i would NEVER pay those prices. The hardware is not even close to being worth what you're paying. Regarding DJ software thingie, arent there anything out there? surely their must be other people than you who uses this?

I'd stick to Ubuntu, but thats a personal preference. The choice is yours, really.

But no matter what you do, please promise me one thing: Do not become a retarded Apple fanboy. there are enough of those...

Do what you feel like. as i said, i'd choose Ubuntu, but thats because i love it. (and because the mac is overpriced)

Good luck with your decision ;)

pelle.k
October 24th, 2011, 02:49 AM
Do not become a retarded Apple fanboy. there are enough of those...
s/apple/linux/g or whatever, really.

IL TRIVELLA
October 24th, 2011, 11:36 AM
Hmm... Well It's a hard choice...

I've been trying to send Windows flying out my front door ever since i discovered the most amazing piece of software in the world: Linux

BUT! I haven't been able to do so. i wanna play Games, and they just won't work with wine... simple as that, i do exactly what other people have done, yet to no avail. so i can surely recognize the problem part.

BUT! you're talking about buying a Mac. I know so many people who have bought a Mac (and are contempt with it) but i would NEVER pay those prices. The hardware is not even close to being worth what you're paying. Regarding DJ software thingie, arent there anything out there? surely their must be other people than you who uses this?

I'd stick to Ubuntu, but thats a personal preference. The choice is yours, really.

But no matter what you do, please promise me one thing: Do not become a retarded Apple fanboy. there are enough of those...

Do what you feel like. as i said, i'd choose Ubuntu, but thats because i love it. (and because the mac is overpriced)

Good luck with your decision ;)

I don't care to play with my computer because when I'm at home I've my xbox 360 so I can play with that, but my problem is exactly the same as you wrote, I do love Ubuntu, and the Mac is too expensive but I want a computer where everything is working properly, Skype, mic, audio and video board, webcam, etc etc without that I need to fix it, and also that if I want use some things like DJ console, they will work, but the problem is that for Ubuntu we cannot even use a good application for DJing like Virtual Dj or Traktor, there is nothing, that's why also if sadly I'm thinking to buy a Mac and restart from zero with one OS that will make able to do all what I want, but I'm really not sure...
Sometime in my mind I say "ok I buy Mac" sometime instead I say "no I buy a Dell and I put inside Ubuntu" I really don't know what to do, my money don't grow on the trees and so I want be really sure because my next computer will be my computer for 4/5 years at least...

pelle.k
October 24th, 2011, 01:01 PM
You could just buy the machine you need (want) to for DJ'ing, be it a windows or osx machine, and put virtualbox on it for you linux needs. Ubuntu works REALLY well in virtualbox, and you still have a 100% working host OS underneath talking care of driver support and such.
Also, in a few years, if your DJ software (or whatever) is released for linux, and you feel you want to go native (that is, get rid of virtualbox and run linux natively), your (by then) rather old notebook will probably work rather well with linux. Years tend to do that with linux and hardware.

IL TRIVELLA
October 24th, 2011, 02:45 PM
You could just buy the machine you need (want) to for DJ'ing, be it a windows or osx machine, and put virtualbox on it for you linux needs. Ubuntu works REALLY well in virtualbox, and you still have a 100% working host OS underneath talking care of driver support and such.
Also, in a few years, if your DJ software (or whatever) is released for linux, and you feel you want to go native (that is, get rid of virtualbox and run linux natively), your (by then) rather old notebook will probably work rather well with linux. Years tend to do that with linux and hardware.

I think in the end I will buy the overpriced Mac, but what is Virtual Box???

kaldor
October 24th, 2011, 03:30 PM

Lets you safely (and easily) run a "virtual" OS inside a program. Example here (https://www.virtualbox.org/attachment/wiki/Screenshots/win7.png).

3Miro
October 24th, 2011, 04:50 PM

Virtual Box lets you run a copy of one OS within another. You lose some speed and graphical acceleration doesn't work very well, but if those two are not an issue, then VB works great.

pelle.k
October 24th, 2011, 05:13 PM
You lose some speed and graphical acceleration doesn't work very well, but if those two are not an issue, then VB works great.
Yes, indeed. It's best to use the OS with the need for 3d acceleration and latency as the native OS (host) in a setup. For me, using windows or OSX as a host OS when making music (latency) and gaming (3d accel), and ubuntu as a client OS (virtual box) is a really good setup. Unity 3D is rather smooth in virtualbox, at least for me.

3Miro
October 24th, 2011, 05:48 PM
Yes, indeed. It's best to use the OS with the need for 3d acceleration and latency as the native OS (host) in a setup. For me, using windows or OSX as a host OS when making music (latency) and gaming (3d accel), and ubuntu as a client OS (virtual box) is a really good setup. Unity 3D is rather smooth in virtualbox, at least for me.

You may be the exception on this one. I have heard plenty of horror sties about Unity 3D and Virtual Box (Unity 2D should be fine). Then maybe they improved Virtual Box lately.

Virtual Box is great if you have just one or two apps that require say Windows and you don't want to dual-boot.

IL TRIVELLA
October 24th, 2011, 06:40 PM
I have one question, if somebody have Mac, why he will ever need to use Virtualbox for still use Ubuntu?

pelle.k
October 24th, 2011, 06:56 PM
I have one question, if somebody have Mac, why he will ever need to use Virtualbox for still use Ubuntu?
Because i like linux! I run ubuntu virtualized most of the time. It's very practical, since i use both systems without ever rebooting.
Some things are easier to do in OS X, some tasks more suited to linux. I'm surprised you ask? Neither OS is perfect, and when you get a feel for them both, you kind of choose the best tool for the job at hand. It's like with clothes i guess. You wear whats practical, and you feel like for the moment... :)

3Miro
October 24th, 2011, 07:30 PM

For my job I write a lot of Linux software and I may have to test it to make sure it runs ... other than some Windows only software, I don't see why anyone would really run Virtual Box.

Many people play with different distributions and virtual machines.

Retlol
October 24th, 2011, 09:01 PM
Macs are just normal laptops with a shiny case, that cost more than most brands for less bang.

The OS is pretty crap as well. Don't think for 1 second you won't have the same issues you have on Windows and Ubuntu.

Also, I seriously doubt you can have more problems with Windows 7 than with Ubuntu (unless you pirated it and it's infected with malware or something).

But I don't care. Buy a macbook (with outdated hardware), and put Ubuntu on it.

IL TRIVELLA
October 25th, 2011, 10:22 AM
Because i like linux! I run ubuntu virtualized most of the time. It's very practical, since i use both systems without ever rebooting.
Some things are easier to do in OS X, some tasks more suited to linux. I'm surprised you ask? Neither OS is perfect, and when you get a feel for them both, you kind of choose the best tool for the job at hand. It's like with clothes i guess. You wear whats practical, and you feel like for the moment... :)

I ask because in my mind in theory Mac is the perfect computer, once you have it, you don't need anything else, anyway it's okay to use virtual box? I mean is not a problem for the computer?

Macs are just normal laptops with a shiny case, that cost more than most brands for less bang.

The OS is pretty crap as well. Don't think for 1 second you won't have the same issues you have on Windows and Ubuntu.

Also, I seriously doubt you can have more problems with Windows 7 than with Ubuntu (unless you pirated it and it's infected with malware or something).

But I don't care. Buy a macbook (with outdated hardware), and put Ubuntu on it.

Windows are always full of Virus, then you have to use applications for clean and so on, and give me always problems, problems, problems, Ubuntu is fantastic instead, and I hope that Mac will be even better, I just bought it and soon I will receive it by post :D

pelle.k
October 25th, 2011, 03:29 PM
I ask because in my mind in theory Mac is the perfect computer, once you have it, you don't need anything else, anyway it's okay to use virtual box? I mean is not a problem for the computer?
I figured as much. :) No it's not a perfect OS, nor is it a "perfect computer". It's very much a personal preference. You may even end up totally hating OS X. That's OK, because you know you could always rely on Ubuntu (or linux in general).

I can't speak for ubuntu 11.10, but 11.04 runs just fine in virtualbox in Lion anyway. And i know from personal experience that 11.10 runs very well natively on the newest MBP. You need to compile the wireless driver (wireless-compat), but other than that it's pretty much works out-of-the-box.

IL TRIVELLA
October 25th, 2011, 06:54 PM
I figured as much. :) No it's not a perfect OS, nor is it a "perfect computer". It's very much a personal preference. You may even end up totally hating OS X. That's OK, because you know you could always rely on Ubuntu (or linux in general).

I can't speak for ubuntu 11.10, but 11.04 runs just fine in virtualbox in Lion anyway. And i know from personal experience that 11.10 runs very well natively on the newest MBP. You need to compile the wireless driver (wireless-compat), but other than that it's pretty much works out-of-the-box.

what is mean MBP???

pelle.k
October 25th, 2011, 09:17 PM
what is mean MBP???
Sorry! That's apple-speak for MacBook Pro.

IL TRIVELLA
October 25th, 2011, 09:24 PM
Sorry! That's apple-speak for MacBook Pro.

ah ok sorry, so you mean that with my new MBP ;) I can install like first OS Ubuntu and work really good?

alexan
October 25th, 2011, 09:30 PM
There's already something similar to System76 in Italy; it's Garlach44 (http://www.garlach44.eu/it/)

pelle.k
October 26th, 2011, 12:28 AM
ah ok sorry, so you mean that with my new MBP ;) I can install like first OS Ubuntu and work really good?
Yes, indeed! :)
This is an updated guide to compile the wireless support: http://homepage.uibk.ac.at/~c705283/archives/2011/09/04/linux_support_for_broadcom_4331_wireless_chip_macb ook_pro_81/index.html

BBQdave
October 26th, 2011, 03:12 AM
Hello everybody,

I would offer my experience as a long time Mac and GNU/Linux user. I stepped away from Apple because of expense and lack of quality. I had two iBooks and one MacBook, each only lasted a couple of years and then died. That said, I am still running an old eMac (G4 700 MHz) as a file and print server. My eMac is a tank, but the notebooks were crap.

If you enjoy Ubuntu, I would stick with that. And on an odd note, my main work horse is a dell inspiron 1100 with one gig of memory running Debian6. This dell notebook is 8 years old and running strong. This machine and Debian are rock solid dependable, would not trade it (or Debian) for a Macbook Air, no thanks.:)

IL TRIVELLA
October 30th, 2011, 04:40 PM
I would offer my experience as a long time Mac and GNU/Linux user. I stepped away from Apple because of expense and lack of quality. I had two iBooks and one MacBook, each only lasted a couple of years and then died. That said, I am still running an old eMac (G4 700 MHz) as a file and print server. My eMac is a tank, but the notebooks were crap.

If you enjoy Ubuntu, I would stick with that. And on an odd note, my main work horse is a dell inspiron 1100 with one gig of memory running Debian6. This dell notebook is 8 years old and running strong. This machine and Debian are rock solid dependable, would not trade it (or Debian) for a Macbook Air, no thanks.:)

look I just bought a MacBook Pro 13" and I hope everything will be fine, if I will had problem, I will Install Ubuntu on this laptop and I will continue to use the best OS at the moment...