PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] moving files on network share

tismij
October 21st, 2011, 09:42 PM
Moved from ubuntu to xubuntu recently.

Aside form my desktop(s) I also have a server running with a lot of shares and I use my desktop to regularly move files within a share (same physical disc just different share/location).
Before Thunar/Xubuntu this was very very fast, as fast as moving files on a local hard drive, now it seems if I move a file with thunar it copies the file to my desktop and then moves it to the new location on the share.

Is this a thunar vs nautilus problem or is there a way to set-up thunar so it performs the same way I was used to in ubuntu with nautilus?
(same performance as a mv command directly on the server)

If it is not possible so set-up thunar to perform those copy/move actions the same way is there an alternative file manager which can?
(installing nautilus seems not a viable solution in xubuntu)

I would not mind installing an extra file manager just for those networked copy/move actions, as a file manger thunar is just fine for everything except the unnecessary moving data back and forth over my network.
(the files are sometimes over 6 gigabyte in size, so atm I am ssh-ing to the server to move them but would be easier to use a file manager).

tismij
October 22nd, 2011, 10:53 AM
seems if I gp to the share via dolphin (still starts thunar) then it does what I want but if I go to smb://server/ directly via Thunar it does not.

Well works for now so will suffice, still curious why that is though.