PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Upgrade to Oneiric breaks Gnome application themes

Carl Foxmarten
October 21st, 2011, 08:16 PM
I've recently upgraded Xubuntu to Oneiric from Natty and am very disappointed and quite annoyed.

There are a couple of issues I'm having problems with, the first of which was the removal of gnome-pilot from the repositories.

Not so big a deal, you say? Nobody has those old Palm Pilots any more?
Well I do! I've got three of them!

And I'd rather not use a dedicated application, as I really liked having gnome-pilot sit on my panel, passively waiting for me to hit the sync button on my Palm device.

Second, it uninstalled Pidgin, but I noticed it wasn't removed from the repositories, so I'm rather confused as to the reason for that.
I've reinstalled it already, so it's not that big an issue.

However, I'm not happy that the above two removals were done without asking.
Previous upgrades have given me a full list of everything they're going to remove, then asked me if I would allow it.
This time, it just went ahead and removed a bunch of things, then gave me a much shorter list, which did not contain the above two applications.

Thirdly, as I'm running the Xfce desktop, but have to use some Gnome applications in my daily work (in particular gEdit), there is an issue where Gnome applications are unthemed.

Xfce or plain Gtk applications are properly themed as per my Xfce settings, but no Gnome application has my skin, and changing the settings in gnome-control-center does nothing.
It doesn't even show my custom themes!

Carl Foxmarten
October 24th, 2011, 07:17 PM
Great, I just found out another section of rug was pulled out from under me.
Yet another reason to bash Oneiric.

This time it was gnome-device-manager.
I use it a lot to check on whether devices I've plugged in were actually recognized.

Yesterday I'd installed an internal multi-card reader and plugged it into one of the motherboard's USB plugs and wanted to know if it actually worked, and now I can't because somebody took away my tool!

I'm not happy at all.