PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] desktop issues in 11.10, downgrading to gnome2?

leopard86
October 21st, 2011, 04:37 PM
Hello friends,
can GNOME 2 be installed back to Oneiric? I tried Gnome shell, Gnome 3 and unity but I'm so unhappy with them.
I am on the verge of reinstalling 10.10 Maverick after the first days with 11.10. I have a lot of issues with the new desktop environment I'll try to recap here:
- login time is 2 times longer than OS startup (i.e. the time from boot to login screen) i.e. 1 minute approx.
- logout time is unbearable, almost half a minute or more. I also notice that during logout the theme is reverted to a very basic theme (Raileigh?)
- desktop responsiveness is bad. With Unity 3d it takes a second or more to open the dash menu using the super key. With unity 2d some things are smoother, but then I lack compiz. Everything is slow or choppy (apart from window effects) like it takes half a second for the close/maximize/minimize buttons to appear when a window is fullscreen and I move the cursor over the appmenu bar.
- Please note that with 11.04 I was using gnome2 and everything was fine, the laptop is not that old and in general the responsiveness was very high
- there is no way to modify anything. I'm not an appleboy.

Any suggestion on how to get gnome2 back or solving these issues?

IanW
October 21st, 2011, 05:46 PM
Gnome shell pulls in "gnome-session-fallback".
This is a Gnome3 version of Gnome2 which mostly works (some of the indicators on the top bar don't work)

Select it by choosing "GNOME Classic" from the login menu.

More details here. (http://www.webupd8.org/2011/08/installing-using-classic-gnome-desktop.html)

Tabe
October 21st, 2011, 08:08 PM
Gnome shell pulls in "gnome-session-fallback".
This is a Gnome3 version of Gnome2 which mostly works (some of the indicators on the top bar don't work)

Select it by choosing "GNOME Classic" from the login menu.

More details here. (http://www.webupd8.org/2011/08/installing-using-classic-gnome-desktop.html)

I am going to xubuntu

leopard86
October 22nd, 2011, 05:15 PM
Thanks IanW but Gnome3 solves none of the problems above and is sluggish. As Linus Torvalds recently said xfce is the only good option for ubuntu fans who wants a classic desktop.

But maybe there's still a good alternative solution to the above?

masgeeks
October 22nd, 2011, 05:18 PM
Did you upgrade or do a clean install...??? Upgrading can be evil...

2F4U
October 22nd, 2011, 05:22 PM
As Linus Torvalds recently said xfce is the only good option for ubuntu fans who wants a classic desktop.

I installed Lubuntu and found it to be a fast, light and pretty good working desktop.

irv
October 22nd, 2011, 05:26 PM
Thanks IanW but Gnome3 solves none of the problems above and is sluggish. As Linus Torvalds recently said xfce is the only good option for ubuntu fans who wants a classic desktop.

But maybe there's still a good alternative solution to the above?

I used Xfce for about 6 months and and found it to worked well for me. It did lack a few things from moving from Gnome 2.3, but overall it worked.

A few years ago I tried KDE but didn't like it that much, but thought I would give it another chance. I did a clean install of Kubuntu 11.10 with the KDE desktop and I am fining that it has come a long way since I last tried it. I plan to stay with it for awhile to see how things go. I think it is well worth trying.