PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Successful Upgrade from 11.04 to 11.10

Slim Odds
October 21st, 2011, 04:15 PM
I just wanted to throw this post in so that it's not all failures being highlighted.

Smooth upgrade, system seems to be significantly faster (no empirical data to support this).

A note to some about upgrades in the past. Ubuntu does a pretty damn good job with this. I had a system that I installed 6.04 on and upgraded every release up to 10.04. That right, every six months. I never had any issues with the upgrades. The machine was acting as a home file/print server (though it was a desktop install).

Maybe I'm just the lucky one.

jjcv
October 22nd, 2011, 05:37 AM
Hey thanks for sharing.

I have upgraded many systems over the years and generally I have not had much trouble at all. Occasionally I have had a problem but that is often because I have made some changes to the system manually.

I also like to do a reinstall every few years, just so I can clean out some of the crude that builds up. I do this and then selectively restore documents and files back into my $HOME.

JacobVengeance
October 22nd, 2011, 05:49 AM
I have always had terrible issues when updating Ubuntu releases. That is why I prefer to use LTS releases. I think the only time an update went well for me was from lucid to maverick.

2F4U
October 22nd, 2011, 06:03 AM
Upgrades are inherently complex tasks and success or failure depends on several factors including hardware, installed software and customizations done by the user. Because of this most distributions recommend to do a clean installation.

lookhere
October 22nd, 2011, 06:57 AM
Hello, can anyone be of help? I had to restore my pc and now when I download ubuntu I cannot open it. It I have to search for the right tool to open it. And none work. You know when you download something and it shows the symbol. Well the shows the generic symbol meaning it cannot be opened.

lookhere
October 22nd, 2011, 06:57 AM
Hello, can anyone be of help? I had to restore my pc and now when I download ubuntu I cannot open it. It I have to search for the right tool to open it. And none work. You know when you download something and it shows the symbol. Well the shows the generic symbol meaning it cannot be opened.

2F4U
October 22nd, 2011, 07:13 AM

First of all, its not necessary to post the same text twice. Second, please don't hijack threads. Since your problem is completely different from what the initial post suggests, it would be better if you create your own new post.