PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] password requested but not allowed

telegiovi
October 21st, 2011, 03:11 PM
Dear readers,
I am facing a lot of problems after installing the new Ubuntu 11.10. One of them is that I am not allowed to install new software; when I try to do this, I am asked the usual password (this time I was choosing a short password : "1"). When I type the password I am told that it is wrong and cannot go any further.
This is perhaps that I was cancelling a file in a certain window, a file related to password. But unfortunately I do not remember what I exactly did.
Now I would like :
1) to cancel any password need on my PC
2) if the 1) is not possible, to go to the old password.

Thank you for a help

23dornot23d
October 21st, 2011, 03:13 PM
Have a look at the list below .... looks like the Xauthority problem .... there is a solution at the top
of the thread marked below in my footer in red ..... for failed upgrades

If its not this then someone else may help you on this .... one ....

are you sure >>>> no caps lock or num lock is on too >>> when entering the password

telegiovi
October 21st, 2011, 03:27 PM
thank you for your answer. Yes I am able to log in and to run ubuntu. But I am NOT able to install new software. This is the problem

raja.genupula
October 21st, 2011, 04:03 PM
Hi could you please tell us what you wanna install and give us the output of
sudo apt-get update

all the best.

telegiovi
October 21st, 2011, 05:16 PM
roberto@roberto-EL1850:~$ sudo apt-get update
[sudo] password for roberto:
Sorry, try again.
Sorry, try again.

oldos2er
October 21st, 2011, 05:49 PM
Try http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/resetpassword to change your password, and I would encourage you to make it at least four alphanumeric characters, if not more.

23dornot23d
October 21st, 2011, 05:56 PM
[ answered same time - good reply if they do not need the password to change it back ]

although the root password should be different to the user password any way ..... if they set one up .....
ok I did not realize you could do it that way ..... good to know .....

I think I know whats happening here ......
seen this before .....

When a user creates a second new user and then deletes the main user off the
system .......... or modifies the password for the main user .....

The main users password carries over ......

Ended up with me needing two different passwords ......... and it ddi get confusing.

It seems a strange case you can log in using your password but not use sudo ......

[Sudo would come uip with and error if you were not in the sudoers list ..... so ......
this is strange/odd .....]

( Trying to help here .... )

Do you have multiple passwords/users on your system .....
or have you removed any users or changed passwords recently ?

Have you tried any other passwords you may have for the system ..... ?

just a thought - hope it helps ....

I once ended up with two different passwords ..... one was left over from a deleted user on my system and that deleted users password took me in ........

telegiovi
October 21st, 2011, 07:23 PM
I tried the way suggested by oldos2er but I receive the answer "errore manipolazione token di autenticazione" (yes my ubuntu is in italian).

Yes I installed Ubuntu over Ubuntu and changed password. I tried to use the old password but didn't work.

Is also happened something strange at the end of the installation (yesterday): the picture on the screen
was the "old" one and not the "new" one.

telegiovi
October 22nd, 2011, 07:11 PM
after a new installation, now ubuntu seems to work properly. I have a problem because the USB port of the printer (multifunction printer Samsung scx-3200) is not being "seen". I tried to install and uninstall several times but the problem persists. How can I get the USB port being seen?
Thank you

nothingspecial
October 22nd, 2011, 07:16 PM
No one who knows the answer to your new question will know that your new question is in this thread.

Create a new thread with a title that refers to your question.

telegiovi
October 22nd, 2011, 07:28 PM
I'll do it