PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Upgrading

KirkS
October 21st, 2011, 03:07 PM
Hello, I've been using Ubuntu 10.10 for several months now, and am extremely satisfied with it. However, I see there are newer versions out, and I've been reading some of the posts hear with a little trepidation at "upgrading" to the newest version. For instance, do I have to back up all my personal data, and other projects I presently use in order to upgrade to, say, 11.10? Is this just like upgrading a Windows platform (man, I hated that), or is the process less tricky? Would it be better to upgrade to 11.04 BEFORE going to 11.10? Sorry if these are dense questions, but I'm loving Ubuntu, and would hate to throw a wrench in it at this point. :)

e79
October 21st, 2011, 03:13 PM
What I would recommend is to backup all your data (important!), clone your installation using clonezilla, download and burn the new Ubuntu 11.10 on a CD/USB, fire up your machine, test it to your liking from the live CD, and if everything is going smoothly, make a clean install, you don't want to do an upgrade as you have 50% chances it will fail. Restore your data once the new install is done.

My $0.02

raja.genupula
October 21st, 2011, 03:15 PM
I think its better take a backup of all your personal data before going to install. While coming to installation , now 11.04 become completely error free and you can happily go with that and while coming to 11.10 now its have small issues and all are getting solved 99.99% .

All The best and Enjoy the Ubuntu.

KirkS
October 21st, 2011, 04:15 PM
What I would recommend is to backup all your data (important!), clone your installation using clonezilla, download and burn the new Ubuntu 11.10 on a CD/USB, fire up your machine, test it to your liking from the live CD, and if everything is going smoothly, make a clean install, you don't want to do an upgrade as you have 50% chances it will fail. Restore your data once the new install is done.

My $0.02

raja.genupulaI think its better take a backup of all your personal data before going to install. While coming to installation , now 11.04 become completely error free and you can happily go with that and while coming to 11.10 now its have small issues and all are getting solved 99.99% .

All The best and Enjoy the Ubuntu.

OK, that's about what I figured. Seems that clean installs are always best. Thank you for the advice. :)