PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] problem fix coming for 11.10?

s9032g@comcast.net
October 21st, 2011, 02:46 PM
I have been with Ubuntu since 8.04, upgraded or clean installed every version without any major problems. With version 11.04 things seemed to take a turn for the worse as far as the product, but the installation was fine. Now, with 11.10 the very upgrade/install process seems to be a major problem. So far I am avoiding it based on all the comments posted. While it is fun to work through the problems I really have better things to do.

Will there be a "cleaned up" version like Ubuntu 11.10.1?

raja.genupula
October 21st, 2011, 03:24 PM
Hi

Maximum problems are getting fixed and you can go with it.I have a suggestion for you and i hope you welcome it.install the 11.10 in Virtual Box and look for any problems it have .If its working good then go for installation or install it by making small partition in your system for it .if its good with out any problem then you can go for direct upgrade else you can keep running with your current version.

All the best .

s9032g@comcast.net
October 21st, 2011, 04:21 PM
Thanks Raja,

Any better with a clean install?

Munk3y
October 21st, 2011, 04:32 PM
AFAIK, Ubuntu doesn't do upgraded releases other than if it's an LTS release. 10.04 was the last LTS release and 12.04 is the next. So, there will be no such thing as 11.10.1 or anything similar.

raja.genupula
October 21st, 2011, 04:52 PM
AFAIK, Ubuntu doesn't do upgraded releases other than if it's an LTS release. 10.04 was the last LTS release and 12.04 is the next. So, there will be no such thing as 11.10.1 or anything similar.

Hi if you manage the settings at update manager to stable release then you can move for 11.04 and 11.10 also.

and yes 11.10 is a not LTS and 12.04 is the LTS.

rplantz
October 21st, 2011, 05:28 PM
Thanks Raja,

Probably not.

I did a clean install. I don't know if it's any better, but I cannot even run update-manager. When I go to the Dashboard and click on "More Apps" I get nothing. Although my sound works (e.g., mail notification) I get no startup sound. And yes, I have "GNOME Login Sound" seleceted in "Startup Application Preferences."

I have been with Ubuntu since the beginning, and this is by far the worst release. I suspect the move to Unity is causing most of the problems. I also find the change to "Ubuntu Software Center" very difficult to use effectively. If I didn't know how to use apt-get, I would be up the creek without a paddle.

Fortunately, I'm comfortable with the command line, so I continue to do the best I can with this "limping along" release. And I had the good sense to transfer my important work over to the Windows side of my dual boot system some time ago. Windows is very weird to me (long time Mac, then Linux, user), but at least it's relatively consistent. (For the record, my career was in computers, and I go back to punch cards and front-panel switches.)

Edit: BTW, my rant here is not intended to be a complaint. I fully recognize that I have not paid any money for Ubuntu, and that much of the work is due to people volunteering their time. I am truly grateful for that. I am simply voicing my disappointment in this particular release.

--Bob

Slim Odds
October 21st, 2011, 05:53 PM
Hi

Maximum problems are getting fixed and you can go with it.I have a suggestion for you and i hope you welcome it.install the 11.10 in Virtual Box and look for any problems it have .If its working good then go for installation or install it by making small partition in your system for it .if its good with out any problem then you can go for direct upgrade else you can keep running with your current version.

All the best .

Raja,

Unfortunately, this is not true. Running in VirtualBox is extremely different from running on the real hardware. It would be closer to a real test to run the LiveCD. But even then, you can't run with all of the drivers that you will likely want to test (like the NVidia video drivers).

23dornot23d
October 21st, 2011, 06:10 PM

I think a lot depends on your hardware ..... these are two what I noticed to be the big failing points
whether a upgrade or clean install ...... (but this is just from what I see on the forum for FAILED .... obviously there will be loads of successful installs where they never come to the forums ......)

No 1 ............ ATI graphics (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1859180) cards .........

No 2 ............ Broadcom (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=11356312&posted=1#post11356312) wireless ..........

vicshrike
October 21st, 2011, 06:22 PM
"I think a lot depends on your hardware ..." so a clean install might be worth a try, have you tried running Unity in live mode? When I tried Unity on my five year old laptop it just "laughed" at me, but the Gnome fallback mode worked of course.

23dornot23d
October 21st, 2011, 06:39 PM
I am running Gnome-shell and Unity .....

( On a machine with less memory than any of the installs says it should run on .....
In fact if you try Fedora it refuses to install on anything with less than 640 Meg - last time I tried
..... but it would install on my laptop which has 3 Gig + and a Nvidia 9300 gs then I moved the USB to the smaller machine where it worked ..... )

so Gnome-shell and Unity work in 512 Meg .... using a Sempron 3000+ and a Nvidia 6300 graphics card .....

but not advisable .... if you can not trim your system down a bit .....
( I tend to remove Ubuntuone as I do not use it also I remove Mono .... as I use Gnotes rather than Tomboy Notes )

Many ways to get things working with experience but the main thing is to get a computer that likes Linux to begin with ...... after that its usually plain sailing .....

What you can do to help UBUNTU - let them know about your hardware and if it works .... in 11,10
http://friendly.ubuntu.com/participate/
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Checking on this link above and also helping by adding your own hardware tests ..... is a good thing in my mind ,,,,, small job but if everyone participates then a good database will be produced ...

raja.genupula
October 21st, 2011, 08:12 PM
Raja,

Unfortunately, this is not true. Running in VirtualBox is extremely different from running on the real hardware. It would be closer to a real test to run the LiveCD. But even then, you can't run with all of the drivers that you will likely want to test (like the NVidia video drivers).

Hi man , thank you very much for suggesting me back and i do remember this.
Thank you very much once again.what i think that both are going to exist in same box so it's now clarified with right one.

s9032g@comcast.net
October 21st, 2011, 10:48 PM
Seems to be an interesting thread. Shows lots of confusion. One reason I used to like Ubuntu is that like MAC it "just worked". I think it needs to be that way again!