PDA

View Full Version : bash swap the conten of string using multiple character delimiter

Mr.Pytagoras
October 21st, 2011, 01:50 PM
hi

an example of my problem is the best way to understand what i can't figure out :)

I have a string for example str

str="something1 next_colum something2"

And I want to take the "next_colum" substring to be my delimiter and swap the "something1" with the "something2" and after that replace the "next_colum" with for example ">>>" characters

I was thinking maybe awk would do it however so far I haven't been able to achive anything. So I am asking you for your help

Thanks

ofnuts
October 21st, 2011, 02:27 PM
hi

an example of my problem is the best way to understand what i can't figure out :)

I have a string for example str

str="something1 next_colum something2"
And I want to take the "next_colum" substring to be my delimiter and swap the "something1" with the "something2" and after that replace the "next_colum" with for example ">>>" characters

I was thinking maybe awk would do it however so far I haven't been able to achive anything. So I am asking you for your help

Thanks
Something like

sed -e 's/\(.*\)__\(.*\)/\2++\1/'

(where "__" and "++" can be replaced by the required delimiters)

Mr.Pytagoras
October 21st, 2011, 08:27 PM
thanks

I have figured it out using awk

But thanks for you help, my awk solution is on 3 lines so your solution is better i guess :)

Vaphell
October 21st, 2011, 09:52 PM
seriously?

$ echo something1 next_colum something2 | awk 'BEGIN { FS=" next_colum "; OFS=" >>> " }; { print $2, $1 }'
something2 >>> something1

ofnuts
October 21st, 2011, 09:53 PM
thanks

I have figured it out using awk

But thanks for you help, my awk solution is on 3 lines so your solution is better i guess :)
I don't know much awk, but there could be a one-liner in awk too. All these regexp-based programs are very similar.