PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] What can Ubuntu Do For Me?

portable123
October 21st, 2011, 10:34 AM
Hi All,

Firstly I Posted in this forum for How to install Ubuntu and had a keen interest in trying something new.

Now i installed Ubuntu 11.10 using Wubi and everything works great.

I Wanted to know that It can do everything windows does ...

But what is so special about Ubuntu and how can i do extra than windows and How..

I am not expecting instant things to do on my ubuntu machine but yes want the ways how to go ahead and do SOMETHING NEW..

northern lights
October 21st, 2011, 10:44 AM
Article worth a read:
Linux is not Windows (http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm)

What can it do for you?
Free you from the shackles of endless amounts of EULAs, for instance.

bryncoles
October 21st, 2011, 11:07 AM
Hi Portable123

Gosh, that's a good question. I would first ask, what do you want or need your computer to do? I have found since switching to Ubuntu (in late 2007) that it can do everything I needed MS Windows to do, which is the bare minimum really. This was around the release of Vista, so for me the 'killer app' was the lower resource requirements (see also Xubuntu and Lubuntu if this too is your 'killer app').

Then, through extended use, I started to discover other things which rapidly became indispensable. The multiple workspaces have become an essential way for me to organise my work-flow, and is something not available to Windows users without third-party software plug-ins. I have found transparent windows very useful for peeking behind the active window, to see (for example) what's displayed behind. It's little, subtle touches like this which make my day.

Now I am cultivating a mild obsessed with the CLI, as a means of reducing the resource-hunger of my computer by not needing a GUI. I greatly appreciate the 'Free' (note that capitol 'f' -- it's important. we're not just talking about the cost here!). There's such a wealth of high quality, open-source tools for most things you might want to do. The only catch is that being open source, most have been posted to Windows too!

I think there's a thread knocking about the cafe at the moment about neat software surprises you might like to look at -- it'll give you some nice hints about what can be done.

---edit---

Found the thread! It's the hidden gems one:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1864146

Which reminds me, highlighting text automatically puts it in the clip-board for copy-pasting, so I can just middle-click to past. No right click menu's! That's something else I like!

mastablasta
October 21st, 2011, 11:29 AM
Free you from the shackles of endless amounts of EULAs, for instance.

nobody reads those :-P

as was shown in that south park episode.... :-D

bryncoles
October 21st, 2011, 11:34 AM
nobody reads those :-P

as was shown in that south park episode.... :-D

... And as also shown by GameStation, when they started collecting souls (http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2010/04/15/gamestation-we-own-your-soul/1)

GameStation has today revealed that it legally owns the souls of thousands of customers, thanks to a clause it secretly added to the online terms and conditions for the official GameStation website.

grahammechanical
October 21st, 2011, 11:40 AM
Do not say: What can Ubuntu do for me?. Say: What can I do for Ubuntu?

Seriously, it is a computer operating system. To a certain extent it is limited by the hardware that makes up your machine and the programs developed for Linux.

Ubuntu rests upon the Linux kernel and the Gnome desktop environment, and other software bits and pieces. As these are developed to work with the latest hardware, so Ubuntu improves.

Accept these limitations and you will find that Linux distributions in general and Ubuntu in particular are more than capable of doing what Windows does and sometimes more.

Regards.

Mark Phelps
October 21st, 2011, 02:08 PM
Ubuntu, like Windows, is an Operating System. Alone, it can do almost NOTHING for you. What it CAN do is determined primarily by the applications it provides.

And, that is where Linux and Windows are very different.

While Ubuntu, like most Linux distros provides many ALTERNATIVES to Windows apps, even with Wine (a software layer that allows SOME Windows apps to run in Linux) it can not do everything that all Windows apps can do.

So, basically, what it CAN do is the following:
1) Free you from the shackles of Activation demands. Linux apps require no such thing.
2) Allow you to try out any and all the apps you want -- free of charge -- without having to activate them
3) Provide you an alternate way of doing your "computer work" -- by using Apps other than Windows apps

decoherence
October 21st, 2011, 04:35 PM
Ubuntu is a full blown OS. A list of what it CAN'T do for you (based on my experience) would be much shorter than what it CAN do.

The following things are challenging on Linux.

1. video editing: The most advanced video editor on Linux is generally considered kdenlive, but if you're used to Sony Vegas, you will be disappointed. There are commercial video editors for Linux but they are aimed at pros and priced accordingly (over $1000) and probably not 'supported' on Ubuntu (commercial outfits like to support redhat, generally, though ubuntu is becoming a legitimate usage profile for QA testing. A situation not being helped by Canonical's wanton changes to the system)

2. gaming: There are a lot of great games for Linux but it doesn't hold a candle to what's available on Windows. I'm guessing you know this already.

3. Inability to run program 'X': at my work I have to keep a Windows XP virtual machine in order to run ONE program (well, three different versions of one program) that absolutely refuses to run in Wine (well, one version will but like i said, i need three different versions. Srsly.) To add insult to injury, this program is written with Visual C++ which generally results in a horrific mess that is the stereotypical crappy Windows program.

4. It *DOESN'T* always "Just" Work! Quite often it will, and Canonical has gone to lengths to make sure all of the most common tasks 'just work' but the further outside their usage scenario you are, the more work you'll have to do. This is true of all operating systems (Mac OS X, I am looking at you in a pointed and disapproving fashion) but it is especially obvious in Linux because, when you find something that doesn't 'just work' there are a 1000 other people who've found the same thing and (hopefully) are working on making it 'just work' or at least can guide you in to configuring it (OS X, I am again glaring at you and shaking my head, you narrow, narrow OS that can be so much more than it is.... but i digress)

OK, here are things that work especially well.

1. gstreamer. Nobody can touch this, not Apple, not Microsoft. It is the BEST video framework and is rapidly gaining acceptance in higher end markets. Hopefully one day the video editors that use it will become worthy.

2. Hardware independence. Try ripping your hard drive out of a Windows machine and put it in another machine. If it boots, it's only because the hardware between the two machines is almost identical. If you try to do the same with Ubuntu, it will detect the hardware it's running on and automatically configure itself accordingly. This means hardware failures are MUCH easier to recover from with Ubuntu rather than Windows.

3. JACK -- JACK is so good, it's been ported to OS X (and maybe Windows?) If you use your system as a music recording studio, JACK will be your best friend. Unfortunately, other issues with Ubuntu prevent it from being a completely solid music recording studio, in my experience.

4. configurability: if you like to tweak things to get them running just so, you are free to do so. If you think you know better than Canonical (which is not far fetched at all -- they provide a system that will work well for as large a number of people as possible. Naturally they won't always make the best choice for a specific person's situation) then you can make it work how you want.

Like other people said, there's none of that pretend legal junk to ignore. You don't need to run antivirus (though if you are exchanging files with a Windows machine, it is considerate to do so -- antivirus programs for linux generally look for windows viruses, anyway) and... oh yes, it's free!

Paddy Landau
October 21st, 2011, 04:38 PM
Simple answer.

Ubuntu can do everything Windows can do, except for one thing: Most games are written for Windows, not for Linux.

If you are a passionate gamer, you may do well to stick with Windows. However, you can "dual boot" -- have both Windows and Linux on your machine.

wolffvel
October 21st, 2011, 04:59 PM
I've recently installed Ubuntu on my father's company.They can everything they did before without the ridiculous costs of windows licences. The only thing I don't do is gaming (probably the only use I give to Windows today).

newbie-user
October 21st, 2011, 05:20 PM
I've recently installed Ubuntu on my father's company.They can everything they did before without the ridiculous costs of windows licences. The only thing I don't do is gaming (probably the only use I give to Windows today).

Well there you go. I only use Windows for the occasional game and for utility programs that I can't get for Linux, such as vSphere client. That amounts to about 5% or less of the time I spend on the computer. Everything else I use my computer for is done in Ubuntu.

In my opinion, a fresh install of Ubuntu allows me to be far more productive than a fresh install of any other operating system. Of course it all depends on what applications you want to run and stuff...

Mark Phelps
October 21st, 2011, 08:14 PM
In my opinion, a fresh install of Ubuntu allows me to be far more productive than a fresh install of any other operating system.
Comparing apples to oranges ...

A FRESH install of Ubuntu, like any other Linux distro, comes with some APPLICATIONS already installed.

So, comparing an Ubuntu install (which includes apps) to an Operating System install (which does not) -- is not a fair comparison.

Mark Phelps
October 21st, 2011, 08:19 PM
Simple answer.

Ubuntu can do everything Windows can do, except for one thing: Most games are written for Windows, not for Linux.

You really shouldn't use such generalizations -- especially in ABT -- because folks will tend to accept them, without question.

In the MS Windows world, many people use IE9 and Office 2010 in their daily work -- NEITHER of which works in Ubuntu, or in any other Linux distro.

The same is true of .NET development work and Visual Studio -- BOTH commonly used by developers in MS Windows, neither of which can be used in Ubuntu.

I can list others as well .. but the point is, saying "everything" -- is just plain NOT true.

dFlyer
October 21st, 2011, 08:27 PM
First of all welcome to Linux. Now to answer your question about windows. Linux is not windows, so you need to stop thinking windows and start thinking linux. I haven't used windows since the mid 90's and have never looked back. If you want to run windows programs you will have to use wine or crossover. Linux doesn't run exe files natively, and will not run all windows games nor a lot of other windows programs even with wine or crossover. I would suggest you check out the crossover site and wine site to make sure the programs you want to run will. Now there are a lot of programs available for linux that will do the same job as windows programs and the best part is that most are free. The best advice I can give you is to go slow, have fun and ask questions on this and other forums. Also google is a good place to search for answers along with this forum.

Jerry N
October 21st, 2011, 08:55 PM
Simple answer.

Not true. Try playing a .mts (H.264) video file in Linux. Skips and jumps with everything I have tried. On the other hand, the Windows Media Player plays it just fine on the same computer.

And Gimp is certainly not an adequate substitute for Photoshop.

Jerry

Autodave
October 21st, 2011, 08:58 PM
[QUOTE=portable123;11374818]Hi All,

Just got finished here resurrecting the second Windows machine this week that viruses and spyware had slowed to a crawl: 10-15 minute boot up times. They are both running well again, but the hours involved in getting them there is staggering. I love my Ubuntu machine which takes almost 45 seconds to fully boot-up to a workable / usable desktop. Even my little netbook (900 mhz) takes less that 1 1/2 minutes form power-on until I am reading emails. And, it is running 11.10 perfectly!

I still have one Windows machine that I drag out ONLY when something has to be done in Windows, but that is like once a year and I can live w/Windows once a year. :-)

Paddy Landau
October 21st, 2011, 09:03 PM
You really shouldn't use such generalizations -- especially in ABT -- because folks will tend to accept them, without question.

In the MS Windows world, many people use IE9 and Office 2010 in their daily work -- NEITHER of which works in Ubuntu, or in any other Linux distro.

The same is true of .NET development work and Visual Studio -- BOTH commonly used by developers in MS Windows, neither of which can be used in Ubuntu.

I can list others as well .. but the point is, saying "everything" -- is just plain NOT true.
Yes, you are right. I had read the question as written: can it do everything Windows does? rather than as some people would interpret it: can it run the same programs as Windows does? I think other posters have clarified this.

TomLigg
October 22nd, 2011, 03:12 AM
I Use ubuntu because of the ideals that it supports being able to be free in what you do with the software is what drove me to use linux. I like not having to worry whether ill be facing lawsuits if i share a copy of ubuntu with my friends. And I like being able to contribute to making Ubuntu better with even the little hardcore knowledge i have.

KingYaba
October 22nd, 2011, 04:29 AM
In the MS Windows world, many people use IE9 and Office 2010 in their daily work -- NEITHER of which works in Ubuntu, or in any other Linux distro

You make a great point especially about.NET but one could substitute Firefox for IE9 and Libre Office for MS Office 2010. I suggest giving Ubuntu a test run before a full switch. See if work can be completed, with no hiccups and incompatibility issues, with Libre Office. OP did the right thing by using Wubi.

Paddy Landau
October 22nd, 2011, 10:01 AM
You make a great point especially about.NET but one could substitute Firefox for IE9 and Libre Office for MS Office 2010. I suggest giving Ubuntu a test run before a full switch. See if work can be completed, with no hiccups and incompatibility issues, with Libre Office.
Yes, that is completely valid. It took me nearly a year to become completely independent of Windows.

OP did the right thing by using Wubi.One thing that is important to realise: it is not a good idea to rely on Wubi for long-term use. Wubi can break badly on upgrades with no possibility of recovery. For long-term use, create a proper dual-boot. And in any case always remember to back up all data before upgrading or installing.

fractalman
October 22nd, 2011, 12:18 PM
I've only been using ubuntu for about 7 months, had xp before but now i could never go back. For me ubuntu does everything i want from a pc, surf the net, play music and vids, and the odd text document I started with maverick, tried natty and ocelot but i'm staying on natty cos i like the gnome2 desktop environment

things that i prefer

Linux is safer, there's no viruses out there at the mo so i don't need an antivirus, the whole setup is different to windows and makes a linux box harder to infect, i'm well aware it's not impossible but i definitely feel safer on a linux box.

It's free.

no more worrying about wether websites and apps can be trusted, the software in the repos is safe and the community are always checking stuff so there's hardly any chance of getting a bogus programme

Linux can read all the files in a windows drive and many more formats too. windows cant read my linux drive though.

Linux has forced me to learn some basic shell and python, it's actually given me a lot more confidence in using computers and tinkering around with them

Excellent support from the community for newbies, this site alone has been a great help for me

If you want to do something cool with linux, install the gimp, the gnu image manipulation programme, it's on a par with photoshop but having never used photoshop i can't actually compare. Gimp is an awesome programme, it's a really really powerful bit of kit. try it, it is seriously cool!!!:guitar:

get your gimp plugins here
http://registry.gimp.org/

Whatever you choose you can't go wrong with linux

rasmus91
October 22nd, 2011, 02:23 PM
And Gimp is certainly not an adequate substitute for Photoshop.

I highschool (went to a math-it based highschool) We did a lot of editting in photoshop and other program (at the beginning the bad ones: paint.net and stuff) But when people started using Photoshop i had just started using Ubuntu annd thought to my self; i wonder if Ubuntu has something similar, thats when i started using GIMP.

I hear a lot of people saying that GIMP Can't do everything photoshop does. And i suppose thats true, if what you're trying to say is, it doesn't have the same buttons, its different to use, etc. And yes; people that have been using photoshop for 2 years will probably feel that GIMP isnt just as good. But then again they've had 2 years to become accustomed to photoshop. I've used GIMP for a long time now (3 years i think), and i haven't seen anyone doing something in photoshop yet were i've doubted that i could do the same job in GIMP.

But what can Ubuntu do for you?

my experience with Ubuntu: Tried 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) in november 2007 i think, and looked at it thinking OMG this is freakin' amazing. Just using it, it felt so smooth on my Desktop computer that used to run windows XP. then in highschool i got a laptop, from which i completely wiped windows vista, only running ubuntu... for a while. I had some programs i had to run. Too bad. Ever since that I've been trying to shake windows. I really dont wanna use it. I use it for gaming once in a while, but when im used to Linux (F-16 fighter jet), windows (Fokker spider) just doesn't do it for me.

The thing is: each time I've Upgraded my ubuntu distro i've been amazed at the new version, each and every time i've looked in awe as I was certain that it would only make minor increases on my comfort with ubuntu but no, it gets so much better with each upgrade that i can hardly believe it.

Then there are all these people complaining about Unity. But i think they're looking at it the wrong way. Because Unity is amazing for people trying Ubuntu out for the first time, its such a beautiful UI, and instead of complaining, they can just install Gnome.

1) Ubuntu is beautiful, and incredibly fast. It'll give a new feel to your computer (it certainly did to all of mine)

2) It's free, and you'll always be able to upgrade to the next version for free.

3) It's yours. Ubuntu, unlike windows, is not made to try blocking you from customising it. You can do anything you want to your Ubuntu installation, Canonical doesn't care.

4) The Software center. From here you can install such an insane amount of apps. its so easy.

Personally i still dream of wiping windows off of my computer. But as long as i still want to play games (Skyrim and SW:TOR) thats probably not gonna happen.

I'm saying its always problem free running Ubuntu, but you'll be part of the best community ever, and they'll help you to the best of their ability, which is significant to say the least.

Good luck with it.

Jerry N
October 22nd, 2011, 04:27 PM
I've used GIMP for a long time now (3 years i think), and i haven't seen anyone doing something in photoshop yet were i've doubted that i could do the same job in GIMP.

How is your 16 bit processing of RAW files working out in GIMP? GIMP truncates them to 8 bits before any processing starts! GIMP 2.8 will allegedly fix this but I am not holding my breath until it is actually released (if ever).

Jerry

masgeeks
October 22nd, 2011, 04:33 PM
I am an ERP consultant and use Ubuntu for my business (servers and desktops) - there is very little it can't do. There are some apps that are Windows only, but a Windows VM solves that problem for the fews apps that need Windows.

The ERP software I sell and support is Windows based, unfortunately... and hence the need for a Windows VM or two. Sometimes I need to use Adobe Acrobat Professional - a necessary evil since the docs I create are distributed to Windows users. Otherwise, it is rare that I need to use a Windows VM for anything other than the software I support for clients...

Paddy Landau
October 22nd, 2011, 06:34 PM
... there are all these people complaining about Unity. But i think they're looking at it the wrong way.
I agree. I've used Ubuntu for three years, and I was nervous of Unity; but I found it easy and quick to use.

Ubuntu ... will give a new feel to your computer
It will also rescue computers too old to run Windows -- for that, use Lubuntu (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu), designed for old and slow computers.

Sometimes I need to use Adobe Acrobat Professional - a necessary evil since the docs I create are distributed to Windows users.
Question: I don't know Adobe Acrobat Professional, but when I want to create cross-platform documents, I export from Libre Office to PDF. Will Libre Office (or Open Office) not work for that?

PaulInBHC
October 22nd, 2011, 06:54 PM
I have XP Home. I built a new box with 4GB RAM. XP can't use it all. Ubuntu can.

OTOH what I mostly need the RAM for is games and my Windows games don't work.

cap10Ibraim
October 22nd, 2011, 07:02 PM
actually you can use it to get high