PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Workspace switching does not work in 11.10

tommckellips
October 21st, 2011, 04:56 AM
Ok I just upgraded my system from 10.10 to 11.10, everything was fine in 10.10 but now with 11.10 I lost the ability to send windows into other work spaces. I have a button that shows 4 work spaces and when I click it, it sends the screen into 1 quadrant. I can not figure out how to send anything to any other work space. I have tried key combinations of ctrl+alt+shift r arrow or up arrow or down arrow and nothing. I also have tried this with shift+ctrl+alt, ctrl+alt, shift+alt, ctrl+shift and many other key combinations with those keys and still nothing. any ideas?

fantab
October 21st, 2011, 06:28 AM
Ok I just upgraded my system from 10.10 to 11.10, everything was fine in 10.10 but now with 11.10 I lost the ability to send windows into other work spaces. I have a button that shows 4 work spaces and when I click it, it sends the screen into 1 quadrant. I can not figure out how to send anything to any other work space. I have tried key combinations of ctrl+alt+shift r arrow or up arrow or down arrow and nothing. I also have tried this with shift+ctrl+alt, ctrl+alt, shift+alt, ctrl+shift and many other key combinations with those keys and still nothing. any ideas?

First of all, it is NOT RECOMMENDED to upgrade directly from 10.10 to 11.10 without upgrading to 11.4. I don' t understand how you managed it.

Regarding Workspaces, have you tried right clicking the title bar of your open window, and choose to send it to another workspace? Also ctrl+shift+alt+arrows is working on my Oneiric.

mcduck
October 21st, 2011, 07:48 AM
In the view where you can see all the workspaces, you can simply drag&drop the windows to whichever workspace you want.

The keyboard shortcuts work from the normal desktop view, not from that view. (ctrl+Alt+arrow keys to switch desktops, Ctrl+Alt+Shift+arrow keys to switch desktop with the current window, and as mentioned, right-click on the titlebar for the option to send the window to a certain desktop.)

And of course you can use CompizConfig Settings Manager (apt:compizconfig-settings-manager) to define what ever keyboard shortcuts you want, and to check what are used at the moment. There is no shortcut for sending a window to a certain desktop by default, but you may of course configure one if you want to)

pandeylavakesh
October 21st, 2011, 08:27 AM
One should not upgrade directly to a newer version skipping a version in the middle. I have personally testified that it always causes problems like yours.
Anyways, coming back to your problem of work space switching, if nothing works try Superkey(windows key) +

pandeylavakesh
October 21st, 2011, 08:28 AM
One should not upgrade directly to a newer version skipping a version in the middle. I have personally testified that it always causes problems like yours.
Anyways, coming back to your problem of work space switching, if nothing works try Superkey(windows key) + S. In my case every possible option for switching works fine. :popcorn:

tommckellips
October 23rd, 2011, 12:00 AM
No I used 11.04 in between, but it was only on long enough to gets its updates then I moved to 11.10

tommckellips
October 23rd, 2011, 12:04 AM
Ok this version must have some elves in it. Today the switcher began working and I have done nothing, not even updates. Now if I could get my scanner working again. It worked in the 10's but has not worked in either of the 11's