PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 11,10 gnome 3 and unity fails possibly after resent update.

odror
October 21st, 2011, 03:48 AM
Without any warning, possibly because of recent update. unity and gnome 3 fails. In both cases I get a limited useless top bar. The side bar is missing and all the unity or gnome 3 features are missing. On the other hand kde works fine.

In the past I had a similar issue, which was resolved when I deleted the /etc/X11/xorg.conf This correction did not work today.

Any Ideas how to fix or debug this problem

Thanks

lovinglinux
October 21st, 2011, 04:23 AM
Log with Unity 2D and delete ~/.compiz-1/session/ and ~/.config/compiz-1/compizconfig/config.

You probably should be able to use Unity 3D after that. It works for me every time I get that weird top panel.

odror
October 21st, 2011, 04:35 AM
Log with Unity 2D and delete ~/.compiz-1/session/ and ~/.config/compiz-1/compizconfig/config.

You probably should be able to use Unity 3D after that. It works for me every time I get that weird top panel.

I did that. Unity is fixed, but gnome 3 was not fixed. Are there any gnome3 files that I need to delete.

Thanks

lovinglinux
October 21st, 2011, 06:52 AM
I did that. Unity is fixed, but gnome 3 was not fixed. Are there any gnome3 files that I need to delete.

Thanks

I am not using Gnome Shell, so I would just be guessing and could recommend deleting files that are not really necessary.

demonboy
October 22nd, 2011, 09:49 AM
This sounds like the same problem I have and will attempt this solution in a moment. Do we know if that has been flagged up as a bug yet?

Xanthomryr
October 22nd, 2011, 12:47 PM

Thx, that fixed it for me.

ShodanjoDM
October 22nd, 2011, 12:53 PM

Thanks

I assume you're talking about gnome-shell?

Got similar problem, I managed to fix it by removing/renaming .gconf/ folder, log out and log back in. Hope that helps.

odror
October 25th, 2011, 04:39 AM
I assume you're talking about gnome-shell?

Got similar problem, I managed to fix it by removing/renaming .gconf/ folder, log out and log back in. Hope that helps.

I tried it. It did not help.

technophreak2000
October 27th, 2011, 04:39 PM
I am having this same issue with Gnome 3. I cannot remove that *@!#$*!! bar. I deleted all the folders mentioned in this thread, and that infernal bar is still there. It's kinda annoying because I changed my gnome3 theme, and right behind the gnome bar (which is now transparent), I can still see the letters "File Edit View Go Bookmarks Help".

BlinkinCat
October 30th, 2011, 04:57 PM
Hi,
If you are still having problems with the top bar on Gnome 3, it may be because you have a proprietary driver installed.
I had similar troubles and did a search on "ask ubuntu" and found a solution was to uninstall driver. Now am running without, and am having very pleasing results on Unity, Fallback and Gnome 3
Best of luck - :)

odror
October 30th, 2011, 05:14 PM
Hi,
If you are still having problems with the top bar on Gnome 3, it may be because you have a proprietary driver installed.
I had similar troubles and did a search on "ask ubuntu" and found a solution was to uninstall driver. Now am running without, and am having very pleasing results on Unity, Fallback and Gnome 3
Best of luck - :)
I need that driver. It has mpeg4 support and best 3d support

BlinkinCat
October 30th, 2011, 05:16 PM
I need that driver. It has mpeg4 support and best 3d support

Sorry I could not help - :(

technophreak2000
October 31st, 2011, 09:19 PM
Hey thanks man. I gave the drivers a try and that still didn't work for me.
I'm guessing the solution you were referring to was at:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/66345/removing-second-unity-nautilus-bar-behind-gnome-3-top-bar

At that same page, I tried the solution which required gnome-tweak-tool turning off the file manager handling the desktop, and that worked like a charm!:)

The only thing is that my desktop icons go away as a result from this. Scuff.

odror
October 31st, 2011, 10:10 PM
Hey thanks man. I gave the drivers a try and that still didn't work for me.
I'm guessing the solution you were referring to was at:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/66345/removing-second-unity-nautilus-bar-behind-gnome-3-top-bar

At that same page, I tried the solution which required gnome-tweak-tool turning off the file manager handling the desktop, and that worked like a charm!:)

The only thing is that my desktop icons go away as a result from this. Scuff.
I have not tried it, but aren't "appmenu-gtk" and "appmenu-gtk3" needed by gnome3. My issue is not that unity does not work, but that gnome 3 does not work.

cbowman57
October 31st, 2011, 11:02 PM
Here's a shot in the dark, have you tried adding export CLUTTER_VBLANK=none to your ~/.profile ?

You can try it from the terminal to see if you notice an improvement.

odror
October 31st, 2011, 11:19 PM
OK the problem is solved for now. The latest upgrade to gnome-shell solved the problem.