PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Broken themes on random applications after 11.10 upgrade

Kobnar
October 21st, 2011, 01:47 AM
Hey there!

I've been putzing along as a happy-go-lucky xubuntu user for a while now until I upgraded to 11.10 and all of a sudden random GTK applications no longer theme correctly. I've attached a screenshot so you can see what I'm talking about.

It seems like all the xfce native applications and many other GTK based applications work fine (like semantic package manager, xfburn, eclipse, etc), but when I try to open others they fail to theme correctly (like gedit, the update manager, gcalc, mines, etc).

I've looked around for suspicious config files and even freshly installed the various applications that aren't working to no avail. From what I read, it seems Gnome3 totally changed their themeing system? Does anybody know how I can get these to work again?

Thanks in advance...

(RE: Screenshot - The applications on the left are properly themed, while the applications on the right are broken)

gsmanners
October 21st, 2011, 01:56 AM
Nothing random about it. The "broken" themes are the gtk3 apps (so they fall back to using Raleigh or greybird). You just need a good gtk2 and gtk3 theme at this point.

I'm using a Clearlooks-style theme here on my desktop: http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php?action=content&content=145210

There may be others that will look better, eventually.

Kobnar
October 21st, 2011, 02:16 AM
Thanks for the heads up! (and the quick reply)

It seems that now I get to tweak my desktop and maintain two different themes. ](*,) I hope my favorite theme starts supporting GTK3.

It's always fun when the reasons I stopped using Gnome reach out from beyond the grave to sully my user experience. :roll:

Kobnar
October 21st, 2011, 02:26 AM
Correction: I just get to hunt for a new GTK3 theme that I like... :/