PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unity Desktop Icon Spacing

dburgan
October 21st, 2011, 01:23 AM
Hello all, sorry if this is a dumb question but I've searched both ubuntuforums.org as well as the internet and general with no luck.

My question is this: using Ubuntu 11.10 with Unity as desktop, how do I adjust the spacing between icons on the desktop?

See the attached screen shot. I cannot move the "Computer", "home", "Network Servers" and "Trash" icons any closer to the launcher. It would be nice to be able to close some of that distance. Assuming there is some kind of CompizConfig Settings Manager magic I can do to tweak this?

As a side note, I'm really starting to like the way this desktop is looking, now that I've really started configuring it. Unity has a LOT of promise.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Frogs Hair
October 21st, 2011, 01:51 AM
I don't what is causing that , I tested with Ubuntu Tweak and the Gnome Tweak Tool and the icons appearer at half the distance as yours . I have my launcher icons set at 32 pixels , which appears to about what you are using. :confused:

lovinglinux
October 21st, 2011, 03:47 AM
Mine are also closer than yours

Have you tried to right-click on the desktop and unselect the option "Keep Aligned"? You will be able to move it a little bit closer.

dburgan
October 21st, 2011, 04:38 AM
I have my launcher icons set at 32 pixels , which appears to about what you are using. :confused:

Yeah I have it set to 32 as well. I'd even go a bit smaller if I could, but 32 looks pretty good.

dburgan
October 21st, 2011, 04:40 AM
Have you tried to right-click on the desktop and unselect the option "Keep Aligned"? Ypu will be able to move it a little bit closer.

Well this is interesting. I turned off "Keep Aligned" and I was indeed able to move them closer, although there is still a limit to how far I could go. See the attached "noalignment" image.

But then I right click and turn "Keep Aligned" back on again and poof the icons pop back to where they were (see "afteralignment" image).

I mean I can live with it with that much spacing but it would be nice to move it about half the distance in. Strange.

lovinglinux
October 21st, 2011, 06:32 AM
Well this is interesting. I turned off "Keep Aligned" and I was indeed able to move them closer, although there is still a limit to how far I could go. See the attached "noalignment" image.

But then I right click and turn "Keep Aligned" back on again and poof the icons pop back to where they were (see "afteralignment" image).

I mean I can live with it with that much spacing but it would be nice to move it about half the distance in. Strange.

I am not sure if this has anything to do with the situation, but on Compiz, my Unity launcher is set to Autohide instead of Dodge and I have Snapping Windows plugin disabled. I won't change this settings right-now to test, because Compiz is crashing for me, but you could check if this helps in any way.

It must be something to do with Compiz and not the Desktop or nautilus, because I just tested Unity 2D on a VM and with the "Keep aligned" featured disabled in the desktop, I can even move a desktop folder to touch the launcher.