PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] How to call Synaptic Package Manager from Terminal?

ProntoAnthony
October 20th, 2011, 10:07 PM
I recently upgraded both laptop and desktop to 11.10.

I just woke up my laptop from being in a suspended state.

Somehow my laptop is in Unity, but the launcher will not appear.

The top bar indicates "File Edit View Go Bookmark and Help" and the pulldown menus work. Help brings up Ubuntu Help. Nautilus comes up from the Go menu.

Control-Alt-T brings up a Terminal window.

From there I can sudo reboot, but after GRUB menu the laptop just goes right back to the same screen.

Suddenly I remember what I did just before I left the laptop. I was in Synaptic Package Manager trying which indicator-... app to uninstall so that annoying and useless white envelope would be removed. I removed a few that I shouldn't have. How do I call up Synaptic Package Manager from Terminal so I can compare the list of packages beginning with "indicator-" on the laptop with the list of the desktop and reapply those packages I removed?

JRV
October 20th, 2011, 10:11 PM
sudo synaptic

coffeecat
October 20th, 2011, 10:11 PM
gksu synaptic

Also, File -> History will tell you exactly which packages you uninstalled.

ProntoAnthony
October 20th, 2011, 10:34 PM
I added the 2 packages I had removed and then reboot but I'm still unable to improve the situation.

ProntoAnthony
October 20th, 2011, 10:42 PM
I'm trying to fix all packages in case it will help with knuckle-headed users.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

ajgreeny
October 20th, 2011, 11:02 PM
It is indicator-messages in Lucid; no idea what it may be in 11.10, but try that.

ProntoAnthony
October 20th, 2011, 11:06 PM
Thanks for trying to help, but my problem is that I can't boot into a usable state.

Must I resort to a complete re-install? If so, how do I do that from here?

ajgreeny
October 20th, 2011, 11:39 PM
You seem to have got into quite a state, but don't panic!

Have you tried unity 2D from the login screen, or do you autologin? If you are setup to autologin at the moment andf if you can not use the log-off from the menu use Alt-Gr+Print screen+K to kill the session then try unity 2D from the session menu (the small cog-wheel icon in the username/password box).

If that does not work you could try
sudo apt-get install gnome-session-fallback package from the repos, and then login to the gnome-classic desktop, which will give you a session much like the old classic desktop layout. One big difference is the need for Alt+Rt Click to change or edit panels and applets on them.

ProntoAnthony
October 20th, 2011, 11:54 PM
Great suggestion!

Yes, I was in quite a pickle. Alt-Gr+Print screen+K to kill the session worked well. However I had the same problem with Unity 2D, so I installed Gnome fallback and now at least I have a usable system.

How do I get Unity back up and running on my laptop? Is there a way to do some sort of quick install or must I do a fresh install from the CD I just made on my desktop?

ProntoAnthony
October 21st, 2011, 12:00 AM
I just went into software center , looked up unity, and saw that the add-on "Indicator for application menus" wasn't checked. Added that the Unity. Logged out on Gnome Recovery and into Unity only to come up against the same problem.

Frogs Hair
October 21st, 2011, 12:09 AM
Have you tried to reset Unity ?
unity --reset

ProntoAnthony
October 21st, 2011, 12:29 AM
Yes, tried it while in Gnome and compiz (core) warned that there was no exact match for ConfigureNotify and I should probably file a bug. Probably happened because Unity wasn't running at the time. S I went back to Unity 2D and tried the reset there. Got the same ConfigureNotify error.

Unity appears to be really busted. Gnome Classic is my best friend right now. At least it's working.

ProntoAnthony
October 21st, 2011, 02:27 PM
Success!

I removed and reinstalled Unity. Now Unity 2D is working on my laptop.