PDA

View Full Version : Two hard drives died at the same time, faulty PSU?

catlover2
October 20th, 2011, 10:05 PM
Hi,

I have two now dead 1TB Samsung HDs, they both started clicking on a cold boot at the same time.
I had a 1.5TB Samsung drive that also died, not recently though.

What do you think, just coincidence, or is there something fishy about my PSU?

BTW, everything backed up, no losses. :)

ubupirate
October 20th, 2011, 10:11 PM
Wouldn't really have anything to do with PSU, since the click of death is usually the result of mechanical failure or mechanical damage involving the actuator arm and head.

PSU just supplies power to the components in a computer, nothing more.

JRV
October 20th, 2011, 10:14 PM
I had a machine one time that kept killing hard drives. It was the PATA controller on the motherboard.

catlover2
October 20th, 2011, 10:17 PM
I had a machine one time that kept killing hard drives. It was the PATA controller on the motherboard.

These are SATA drives, not that that makes any difference.

ubupirate
October 20th, 2011, 10:20 PM
These are SATA drives, not that that makes any difference.

Curious, what mode are the SATA drives set to? IDE or AHCI? When I first got my desktop, the AHCI drivers in Windows Update were outdated and resulted in an indefinite black screen click-bang-click-bang on boot. Getting the updated AHCI drivers from AMD website fixed the problem.

Might be the drive controllers outdated, but I usually associate clicking with damaged or failing mechanical parts.

heshoots67
October 20th, 2011, 10:24 PM
I had my drives burned right out.

catlover2
October 20th, 2011, 10:25 PM
IDE mode, I too assumed a mechanical failure.

I'm freezing them right now, I'll see what happens, not that I'll trust them after this.

LinuxFan999
October 20th, 2011, 10:27 PM
How long have you had those 2 hard drives?

catlover2
October 20th, 2011, 10:29 PM
About two months.

LinuxFan999
October 20th, 2011, 10:37 PM
About two months.
That's not good. From what I have heard, Samsung Hard drives are not the most reliable drives, especially the newer ones. Try a more widely used brand, like Seagate or Western Digital.

satanselbow
October 20th, 2011, 10:37 PM
About two months.

Then they are still under warranty - still got the receipt?

ubupirate
October 20th, 2011, 10:38 PM
That's not good. From what I have heard, Samsung Hard drives are not the most reliable drives, especially the newer ones. Try a more widely used brand, like Seagate or Western Digital.

Definitely. Maxtor used to be the most reliable back in the day, but today it has to either be Western Digital or Seagate. +1 to WD and Seagate.

My current HDD is a Seagate. :D

catlover2
October 20th, 2011, 10:39 PM
Then they are still under warranty - still got the receipt?
I'm sure, but I'm not so sure that I want to get Samsung now...

catlover2
October 20th, 2011, 10:40 PM
Definitely. Maxtor used to be the most reliable back in the day, but today it has to either be Western Digital or Seagate. +1 to WD and Seagate.

My current HDD is a Seagate. :D

I have a 5 year old 500GB IDE Maxtor that is still going strong.:)

ubupirate
October 20th, 2011, 10:43 PM
I have a 5 year old 500GB IDE Maxtor that is still going strong.:)

I've still got one of their early HDD still in the package unopened. Maxtor is no more, so wonder how much their HDD are worth now for legacy purposes. :P

JDShu
October 20th, 2011, 10:46 PM
+1 seagate and WD