PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Bootloader Ubuntu 11.04 on Macbook Pro

dracotux
October 20th, 2011, 07:18 PM
Dear Ubuntu fans,

I finally was able to install Ubuntu 11.04 on a Macbook Pro 8.1 early 2011. It took me a while, but I finally found out.

The next thing, is to get Ubuntu booted. I updated the EFI bootloader, as suggested on multiple forums or tutorial sites.

The bootloader shows the Linux partition, but when I select this, it says "Missing Operating System". And that's the thing I can't solve.

During the install of Ubuntu, I chose (past tence of choose is chose?) to install the bootloader on sda4, where my Linux installation was. The swap area I installed on sda3, a separate partition of 1 Gb.

I guess the location of the bootloader may not be the brightest of ideas. Should I install this on sda instead of sda4? Or will this break any other bootloaders and completely ruin my system? If it turns out not to work correctly, is there simple way to fix this?

Kind regards,
dracotux

dracotux
October 21st, 2011, 02:33 AM
I fixed it myself! I read an article about the Master Boot Record, about supporting a max of 4 primary partitions. Swap was the fourth, Linux the fifth. So I repartitioned, installed again, making Linux the fourth partition. It doesn't boot from Refit (yet), but I need to hold down the alt/option key during startup.

Don't know if this makes any sense, or what I just have written above is a fact, I don't care. IT WORKS!!!! Ubuntu 11.04 on my Macbook Pro 8.1 early 2011!!!!