PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Libav libraries must be removed to install Restricted Extras

MentatGhola
October 20th, 2011, 06:28 PM
Im installing Ubuntu restricted extras from ubuntu software center and I get a prompt:

"to install ubuntu restricted extras these items need to be removed: libavcodec53, libavutil51"

Just wondering if anyone could explain this business to me and let me know if I should ignore and install the package anyway.

Thanks

Aritsugu
January 13th, 2012, 07:57 PM
I'm wondering the same thing.

To compound my confusion, I'm also sure I selected to have restricted extras installed during the OS install, so why its come up as a option in the software centre I don't know...

Any way I'm going to go ahead and install it anyway, if the sky falls I'll be back to warn you all.

It won't, obviously...

Charlie91
July 22nd, 2012, 07:46 PM
The posts are months apart... I'm asking the same question here: no one obviously knows the answer?

I have a fresh install (12.04 LTS) and I don't have problems running video or audio, but I remember installing Ubuntu Restricted Extras in previous versions. So I don't have to install the package at all? If it's needed, are libavcodec53 and libavutil51 dispensable? What do these two packages do anyway?

Think positive!