Which is the correct form:
a) "the type of the address is specified in [...]"
or
b) "the address type is specified in [...]"
?

Thanks!

dniMretsaM
October 20th, 2011, 05:46 PM
Either is technically correct, I believe.

forrestcupp
October 20th, 2011, 05:47 PM
Since this is a mini-thread, I hate to ask for clarification. :)

But we need some context. Either could be correct, but without context, B sounds a little better to me.

johnnybgoode83
October 20th, 2011, 05:48 PM
Both are correct but I prefer B

Joeb454
October 20th, 2011, 05:50 PM
Neither, it should be "the address type are specified in [...]" ;)

If I had to choose an actual answer from above, I'd go with B

grahammechanical
October 20th, 2011, 05:52 PM
How about

Type the address here ...

Sorry, I just could not resist it. I agree with dniMretsaM on both points. If this is a technical document then someone not familiar with the terms being used would understand (a) easier than (b).

Regards.

P.S. "are specified?" No. "Is specified." Address types are specified. An address type is specified. Now we start arguing.

dniMretsaM
October 20th, 2011, 05:53 PM
Neither, it should be "the address type are specified in [...]" ;)

No, that would require "the address types are specified in [...]"

cguy
October 20th, 2011, 05:53 PM
The context:
"This field indicates the Internet address used by the client. The type of the address / address type is specified in [...](another field)"

Paqman
October 20th, 2011, 05:54 PM
Both are correct, but A is a bit ungainly. B is much more fluent.

dniMretsaM
October 20th, 2011, 05:58 PM
Both are correct but I prefer

<snip>
Reported. Anyway, in the above stated context, I personally would go with a. B could also work, but seems less suited to the structure of that sentence. This is just my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt as I am by no means an English know-it-all.

forrestcupp
October 20th, 2011, 07:25 PM
The context:
"This field indicates the Internet address used by the client. The type of the address / address type is specified in [...](another field)"

In this case, both are grammatically and technically correct, but B sounds way better. You only have one guy saying A, so B wins! :)

Majorix
October 20th, 2011, 07:35 PM
I too would go with A but then again I am not a native speaker :P

KL_72_TR
October 20th, 2011, 09:41 PM
Both are correct.
The only difference is in typing.
If you don't like typing choose [b], and if you like typing choose [b] again.
Reason less time consuming.

fatality_uk
October 20th, 2011, 10:00 PM
The context in which the sentences are framed is key in your two examples.

Both of them essentially say the same thing, but the first can best be described as more "formal" English whilst the second, I would say, is a more colloquial.

Neither is right or wrong.

Ric_NYC
October 20th, 2011, 11:38 PM
I think it follows the same rules of this example:

A- City of New York

B- New York City.

NovaAesa
October 21st, 2011, 02:57 AM
I think it follows the same rules of this example:

A- City of New York

B- New York City.

Isn't that a little different? "New York City" is a proper noun, while "City of New York" isn't (it's a noun phrase consisting of a noun and a preposition phrase which in turn contains a different proper noun).

cguy
November 17th, 2011, 01:36 AM
I'm back with another q:
Say you have a table with a composite index: (Index1, Index2).

How do you say concisely that Index2 has a certain value for a type of entry in the table?

For example:
The IPv4 addresses have a corresponding index value of 1.

cguy
November 17th, 2011, 09:49 PM
Bumpity bump!

Copper Bezel
November 17th, 2011, 10:10 PM
Isn't that a little different? "New York City" is a proper noun, while "City of New York" isn't (it's a noun phrase consisting of a noun and a preposition phrase which in turn contains a different proper noun).
Actually, they're both recognized proper nouns referring to the place, which is why the C is capitalized in the latter. = )

bedpotato
November 18th, 2011, 12:02 AM
Which is the correct form:
a) "the type of the address is specified in [...]"
or
b) "the address type is specified in [...]"
?

Is English your mother tongue? I'm a TEFL teacher ( or was, in my dim and distant past) and enjoy puzzling over things like this and trying to brainstorm.

A is somewhat stilted and awkward and has a bit of a foreign ring to it, because as it stands it is in the possessive form and that is not the way we construct possessive sentences in English. We use apostrophes instead. What in other languages would be "the pen of my uncle" in English becomes "my uncle's pen."

Clearly, adding a possessive apostrophe and changing your sentence to read "the address' type" will not solve your problem, because possession is not what you wish to convey here. Instead, omit the definite article before "address" to convey the fact that type does not BELONG to address, but rather CATEGORISES it. A should now read: "the type of address is specified in" and you are safe to use either A or B.

Edit: that's unless you have a particular reason for wanting to use the definite article, and are talking about one very special specific address only - as opposed to many, in which case your construction is not possessive, merely exclusive. Oh boy, the more you think about things, the more possibilities there are...

Hope this helps. :)

LowSky
November 18th, 2011, 01:10 PM
kinda mad, I was expecting a thread about this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/36/Morris_Mini-Minor_1959.jpg/800px-Morris_Mini-Minor_1959.jpg

stalkingwolf
November 18th, 2011, 01:54 PM
define "type" . is it used as the act of interring information or as a classification ? as in budweiser is a type of beer?

forrestcupp
November 18th, 2011, 03:01 PM
I'm back with another q:
Say you have a table with a composite index: (Index1, Index2).

How do you say concisely that Index2 has a certain value for a type of entry in the table?

For example:
The IPv4 addresses have a corresponding index value of 1.

People aren't likely to answer this because you tacked it onto the end of your thread discussing something else. They're likely to see what the majority of the thread is discussing, and comment on that.

But you need to be more clear on what you want. Give us a couple of examples again, and we'll tell you which one sounds correct.