PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Fail on upgrade to 11.10

Lord_
October 20th, 2011, 03:11 PM
Hi Everyone,

I have experienced a big problem on the upgrade from 11.04 to 11.10. Its basically left my system in an unusable state, without networking (eth0 and wlan0 have been removed from the /etc/network/interfaces) , and the hard disk was mounting as read only. If I try to boot normally, it will state waiting for disk mount, then wait for networking (for about 2 minutes) before finally stopping at a purple screen.

I can use Crtl + Alt + F1 to get a cli login, but many things are wrong.

I'm sure I can work through the problems to restore the system, but my main questions are:

1. Is there an easy way to re-install all the packages without a fresh install of the system?

2. If other people have had this problem, what steps did they use to resolve the issue?

Any advice welcome!

Thanks,
Joe

Sef
October 20th, 2011, 04:32 PM
Reinstall the os would be the best choice.

Lord_
October 20th, 2011, 05:47 PM
From scratch on a wiped partition? Or can I use an install CD to detect and fix what I have already?

I think I can get most of my data backed up if I can mount usb or fix networking. It's my personal Laptop, so I can backup the home folder to preserve 90% of what I need.

Problem is everytime you do something like this you end up losing those things in kept in strange places, compiled programs etc ,etc.