PDA

View Full Version : How many kinds and versions of Ubuntu do you use?

irv
October 20th, 2011, 03:04 PM
Just curious. I myself use Ubuntu 10.04 on my server, Kubuntu 11.10 on my laptop, Ubuntu 9.04 on my sound system. And I have Ubuntu 10.10 on my desktop. And I test and play around with many others.

Now that I think of it I have lubuntu 11.04 with xfce and Gnome 3 on another hard drive that I can swap out on my laptop. I also have a pandigital touchpad but that has Android on it.

kaldor
October 20th, 2011, 03:27 PM
Ubuntu 11.04 on my desktop. Ubuntu 11.10/Fedora on my laptop.

Shazaam
October 20th, 2011, 04:16 PM
Lucid, Natty, and Xubuntu 11.10 triple boot; Lucid controls grub. Really impressed with Xubuntu.

Have run Dapper, Edgy, Gutsy, Hardy, Intrepid, Jaunty, and Karmic.

irv
October 20th, 2011, 04:32 PM
Ubuntu 11.04 on my desktop. Ubuntu 11.10/Fedora on my laptop.
Are you running Ubuntu with the Unity desktop? If so how do you like it in comparison to Fedora? I haven't used Fedora, but I believe it comes with KDE desktop. Am I right on this? Or did I read somewhere that it uses Gnome 3?

benc1213
October 20th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Are you running Ubuntu with the Unity desktop? If so how do you like it in comparison to Fedora? I haven't used Fedora, but I believe it comes with KDE desktop. Am I right on this? Or did I read somewhere that it uses Gnome 3?

Fedora comes with Gnome 3 by default but you can get the Fedora KDE spin.

irv
October 20th, 2011, 04:37 PM
Lucid, Natty, and Xubuntu 11.10 triple boot; Lucid controls grub. Really impressed with Xubuntu.

Have run Dapper, Edgy, Gutsy, Hardy, Intrepid, Jaunty, and Karmic.

I used lubuntu with xfce for about 6 months, and yes it is a nice desktop. I am not sure what the difference is between xubuntu and lubuntu except that lubuntu is lighter and xubuntu come with xfce.
To be different now I am trying kubuntu with KDE to see how I like this desktop. So far I am liking it.

aeiah
October 20th, 2011, 04:38 PM
lubuntu 10.04 on the netbook, stripped down 10.04 on the desktop, openwrt on the bathroom music player daemon receiver

irv
October 20th, 2011, 04:40 PM
Fedora comes with Gnome 3 by default but you can get the Fedora KDE spin.

Thanks. Fedora come with RPM software and not DEB, Right? I am not sure if I would like that.

ubupirate
October 20th, 2011, 04:41 PM
Thanks. Fedora come with RPM software and not DEB, Right? I am not sure if I would like that.

Yes. Only Debian and Debian based distros use DEB.

aeiah
October 20th, 2011, 04:43 PM
rpm is fairly similar and similarly as widely available as deb though. and yum is pretty similar to apt-get. i always found it a bit slower though.

snowpine
October 20th, 2011, 04:45 PM
Zero, but I am addicted to the forums. :)

irv
October 20th, 2011, 04:48 PM
rpm is fairly similar and similarly as widely available as deb though. and yum is pretty similar to apt-get. i always found it a bit slower though.

Years ago I tried Red Hat, but now that I have used Ubuntu I don't think it impressed me as much the Deb based Ubuntu for installing software. That is the reason for not trying RPM based OS'.

irv
October 20th, 2011, 04:51 PM
Zero, but I am addicted to the forums. :)

Man, get with it. Jump in it's fun trying all this different stuff out here. And the best thing you will learn something. There is a whole different world out here besides MS.

snowpine
October 20th, 2011, 04:52 PM
Years ago I tried Red Hat, but now that I have used Ubuntu I don't think it impressed me as much the Deb based Ubuntu for installing software. That is the reason for not trying RPM based OS'.

You should give it a try now that YUM is standard.

yum install foo

is 4 fewer keystrokes than

apt-get install foo

:)

snowpine
October 20th, 2011, 04:55 PM
Man, get with it. Jump in it's fun trying all this different stuff out here. And the best thing you will learn something. There is a whole different world out here besides MS.

I used Ubuntu from 2007-2009 and I test-drive a Live CD of each new release just to see what the devs are up to. And trust me, I am not a Microsoft fanboy. ;)

irv
October 20th, 2011, 05:02 PM
You should give it a try now that YUM is standard.

yum install foo

is 4 fewer keystrokes than

apt-get install foo

:)

I see the YUM package installer was is Muon Package Manager so I install it and will give it a try later. Thanks.

snowpine
October 20th, 2011, 05:06 PM
I see the YUM package installer was is Muon Package Manager so I install it and will give it a try later. Thanks.

You're welcome :) but I think you misread my post. :(

I was referring to YUM, which is the package manager for Fedora, Red Hat, etc.

I've never heard of "Muon" before in my life and therefore can't recommend it to you. If you are using Ubuntu then you should stick with apt-get or the Software Center.

irv
October 20th, 2011, 05:15 PM
You're welcome :) but I think you misread my post. :(

I was referring to YUM, which is the package manager for Fedora, Red Hat, etc.

I've never heard of "Muon" before in my life and therefore can't recommend it to you. If you are using Ubuntu then you should stick with apt-get or the Software Center.
I didn't miss your point in your post. Seeing I wasn't planning to install another distro at this moment I thought I would just try the YUM installer on some RPM later. I am using Kubuntu with KDE and the "Muon package manager" is what KDE uses. It is a little different then the one in Ubuntu. But same in many ways.

snowpine
October 20th, 2011, 05:19 PM
I didn't miss your point in your post. Seeing I wasn't planning to install another distro at this moment I thought I would just try the YUM installer on some RPM later. I am using Kubuntu with KDE and the "Muon package manager" is what KDE uses. It is a little different then the one in Ubuntu. But same in many ways.

Apologies for my ignorance, enjoy using Muon! :)

wolfen69
October 20th, 2011, 05:25 PM
I use ubuntu 11.10 on my desktop, kubuntu 11.10 on my laptop, and lubuntu 11.10 on my netbook.

irv
October 20th, 2011, 05:44 PM
I use ubuntu 11.10 on my desktop, kubuntu 11.10 on my laptop, and lubuntu 11.10 on my netbook.

Which one do you like the best? Just wondering.

wolfen69
October 20th, 2011, 05:52 PM
Which one do you like the best? Just wondering.

I like them all, (I'm not a stuck in the mud linux user) but if I had to pick one, it would be ubuntu with gnome-shell.

irv
October 20th, 2011, 06:33 PM
From the looks of some of the posts out here everyone has their favorites and they have their reasons why. Isn't this great that we have so many nice choices and so many nice things to choose from. Gota love variety!

Old_Grey_Wolf
October 21st, 2011, 03:18 AM
I have several distros on my computers that are not Canonical distros. Of the computers that I use for critical (day-to-day) tasks that have a Canonical dirsto on then, it is Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. Of the Canonical distros, I have [U, K, X, L]buntu 10.10, 11.04, and 11.10 installed on test machines or as Virtual Machines; however, they are not used for critical tasks. I prefer to use the LTS releases for computes that I must rely on. I also have a lot of data and configuration setings on those computers; therefore, I stay with the LTS releases. I really need the ability to use a release without the need to upgrade at intervals of less than 2 years; therefore, the preference for the LTS release cycle for critical systems.

jimrz
October 21st, 2011, 04:40 AM
2 versions
3 kinds

makitso
October 21st, 2011, 03:08 PM
Ubuntu 11.04 on my desktop, Ubuntu 11.10/WIN7 on my Thinkpad t60 and Lubuntu 11.04/WIN7 on my Gateway LT31.

jonkiribati
October 21st, 2011, 03:21 PM
I use Ubuntu 11.10 on my Desktop and Debian Wheezy on my Laptop