PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] boot from CD - black screen

tankmil
October 20th, 2011, 06:47 AM
Hi,

I have an Acer laptop with Win 7 64 bit installed now. I wanted to install Ubuntu. Downloaded ISO. Burnt to CD.

When I tried rebooting my machine and booting from CD, the following happens:
Black screen with a single line of text (someone's name in it). Then the screen shuts off, and the machine does a lot of spinning and thinking, but nothing appears on the screen. Please, advise.

varunendra
October 21st, 2011, 07:02 PM
That single line (with name Peter Anvin...) indicates the booting process has been initialized from the cd, but then if there is a lots of (unusually fast) disk activity with nothing but blank screen, then it may be one of the following three most prominent reasons for this:

cd is burnt incorrectly (::Verification: Try booting another computer with it.:: Solution = try writing it at minimum possible speed, preferably on a desktop PC)
your optical drive has physical problems (Solution= try creating a Live USB flash drive and booting from it. Preferable method to create it is either using inbuilt "Startup Disk Creator" or Unetbootin)
The downloaded iso itself is corrupt. (::Verification: match md5checksum of the downloaded iso with the value provided at where you downloaded it from. How to MD5Sum (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM):: Solution=Re-Download if match fails)

If the same cd is able to boot another computer, you may use its inbuilt "Startup Disk Creator" to create a Live USB drive and try booting from it.