PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] adding a bottom panel in 11.10 (alongside unity)

kinka-dzs
October 20th, 2011, 03:39 AM
In case there is someone out there that like me is ok with unity but not entirely satisfied here is how you add the bottom panel:

-) check if you have installed gnome-panel, otherwise
sudo apt-get install gnome-panel

-) open up a terminal and launch it to have a preview on how it looks

-) now if you notice the top panel is hiding the unity one, so you can remove it (since gnome 3 you need to do this with ALT key + right click and then remove)

-) install it as a startup application, simply go to startup applications, add, give it a name and in the command line just put gnome-panel . That's it.

Now I have set up my desktop as i wanted, also using cairo dock instead of unity, actually i can use both, just modifying the visibility of the unity bar (the one on the left) to be always hidden and unreveal after a second (or by pressing the super key). So if i put my mouse on the left i get the cairo dock, if i wait a bit more i have unity. Set up screen number to 4 oriz, 1 vertical and i have compiz with the good old cube. now finally happy. :-)

azredwing
October 28th, 2011, 07:14 AM
Nice! Thanks so much :) I'm having trouble removing the top panel.. do I need to boot to GNOME3 and remove the top panel from there?

kinka-dzs
October 31st, 2011, 02:44 PM
Either log in in ubuntu classic after you put your login details, or launch gnome-panel in a terminal. The two panels come up, the bottom and the top one.
To delete the top panel you have to right click on it while you keep the ALT key pressed. Than just click on delete this panel.

Hope it helps.

Ravi5kumar
October 31st, 2011, 02:59 PM
Can I remove the top panel in unity?:confused: