PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] VirtualBox Gotcha

makitso
October 20th, 2011, 12:46 AM
Thought I would pass along an easy mistake to make using VirtualBox.

When installing the latest 4.1.4 release make SURE to pick the OS that is your host not the OS of the guest OS. By mistake, I downloaded the VB linux 11.10 release and installed it into a 11.04 system. Everything went well and I built my 11.10 guest OS and installed the Additions. However, I could not get 3D Unity or Gnome to work correctly. To correct the problem I reinstalled VB 11.04 and deleted and reinstalled the guest additions. After that everything worked correctly. Really cockpit error!

haqking
October 20th, 2011, 12:49 AM
Thought I would pass along an easy mistake to make using VirtualBox.

When installing the latest 4.1.4 release make SURE to pick the OS that is your host not the OS of the guest OS. By mistake, I downloaded the VB linux 11.10 release and installed it into a 11.04 system. Everything went well and I built my 11.10 guest OS and installed the Additions. However, I could not get 3D Unity or Gnome to work correctly. To correct the problem I reinstalled VB 11.04 and deleted and reinstalled the guest additions. After that everything worked correctly. Really cockpit error!

Well thats a first ;-)

It does say Linux Hosts after all

Glad you got it sorted though

makitso
October 20th, 2011, 12:02 PM
Yes, it was clearly my error. The VB download site has the two links very close together. With my screen resolution and eyesight I may have by accident clicked the wrong link.

It would have been nice if the install had flagged the problem or if there was some way to see what variant you had installed after the fact.

No doubt, I will be much more careful next time :-)

haqking
October 20th, 2011, 12:07 PM
Yes, it was clearly my error. The VB download site has the two links very close together. With my screen resolution and eyesight I may have by accident clicked the wrong link.

It would have been nice if the install had flagged the problem or if there was some way to see what variant you had installed after the fact.

No doubt, I will be much more careful next time :-)

ha ha we all do it. I cant operate at all until at least coffees, saying that time for number 3 ;-)