PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Display settings -- is there a way to unbury this tool?

yelvington
October 20th, 2011, 12:38 AM
One of the many really irritating changes in Oneric is the relocation of the video display settings tool into the "System Settings" control panel.

Is there a way to get it out? To access it directly?

I have an external monitor plugged into my laptop as a second display. I constantly have to reset my video settings because Ubuntu can't keep it straight when I suspend the computer. I also do a lot of presentations, plugging into various projectors. I need easy/fast access to the display settings.

Under previous versions of Ubuntu, I could make the display tool available in the menu bar (systray). Now I have to dig three layers deep. This sucks.

Is there some third-party solution to this UI mess?

haqking
October 20th, 2011, 12:39 AM
One of the many really irritating changes in Oneric is the relocation of the video display settings tool into the "System Settings" control panel.

Is there a way to get it out? To access it directly?

I have an external monitor plugged into my laptop as a second display. I constantly have to reset my video settings because Ubuntu can't keep it straight when I suspend the computer. I also do a lot of presentations, plugging into various projectors. I need easy/fast access to the display settings.

Under previous versions of Ubuntu, I could make the display tool available in the menu bar (systray). Now I have to dig three layers deep. This sucks.

Is there some third-party solution to this UI mess?

Drag it to your dock, thats what the dock is for

see attached for an example from my virtual machine

yelvington
October 23rd, 2011, 08:41 PM
Let me try asking this question another way.

From digging around in the system, I know that "gnome-control-center" brings up the control panel that includes applets for various system settings.

I know that it's theoretically possible to invoke "gnome-control-center" with arguments that cause a specific setting tool to activate.

I want the "Displays" tool to open. How do I do that? From a command line? That will let me create a launcher that I can put in the Panel.

I'm not running Unity, Dash, or the Dock, and I will not ever run Unity so long as it resembles what I see today, and/or continues to rip menus away from windows.

I'm running Gnome Classic, which isn't really Gnome 2 after installing the fallback package. I'm trying to restore as much system functionality as possible. I really regret having "upgraded" Ubuntu to Oneric, but what's done is done.

Larkspur
October 23rd, 2011, 08:56 PM
The command you're looking for is
gnome-control-center display

yelvington
October 23rd, 2011, 09:26 PM
Much better, thanks. To complete the fix:

Alt-right click on the Panel, choose "Add to Panel"
Choose "Custom Application Launcher"
Name the launcher anything you want. Whatever you type will display when you mouseover the icon.
Put the command gnome-control-center display in the command box.
In the comment box, place your favorite snarky comment about Unity. Or not.
Click on the icon and change it to /usr/share/icons/Humanity/apps/48/gnome-display-properties.svg. This restores the familiar "monitor with the yellow triangle" icon.
OK to save.

One more bit of damage repaired.