PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Gnome solution?

Tuxaby
October 19th, 2011, 09:18 PM
Any chance Kubuntu would be a good alternative? Or, will it have the same problems?

haqking
October 19th, 2011, 09:20 PM
Any chance Kubuntu would be a good alternative? Or, will it have the same problems?

which problem do you mean.

and kubuntu uses KDE not Gnome so completely different so if you refer to a particular issue you are having with Gnome then yes KDE should not have that issue whatever it maybe

Tuxaby
October 19th, 2011, 09:47 PM
You name it . Bluetooth stopped working, Unity sucks, and the option for Gnome classic sucks as well. I'm currently downloading Kubuntu to try and stay with Ubuntu, as I have used it for several years now and have always preferred it to other distros. Most of the problems are connected to Gnome as far as I am able to glean from other posts. Navigation difficulties and the lack of synaptic, make solving other problems very difficult. I need to use this for other purposes. I need to use it to accomplish my daily tasks that I have it for. I don't need to spend hours on end trying to solve all the problems that this upgrade has caused. My best solution will probably be returning to 10.04 LTS. Hopefully I can find a alternative before its support runs out.

haqking
October 19th, 2011, 10:14 PM
You name it . Bluetooth stopped working, Unity sucks, and the option for Gnome classic sucks as well. I'm currently downloading Kubuntu to try and stay with Ubuntu, as I have used it for several years now and have always preferred it to other distros. Most of the problems are connected to Gnome as far as I am able to glean from other posts. Navigation difficulties and the lack of synaptic, make solving other problems very difficult. I need to use this for other purposes. I need to use it to accomplish my daily tasks that I have it for. I don't need to spend hours on end trying to solve all the problems that this upgrade has caused. My best solution will probably be returning to 10.04 LTS. Hopefully I can find a alternative before its support runs out.

You can install synaptic

There are also other desktop options like xfce for example.

Anyways way good luck

cottfcfan
October 20th, 2011, 09:42 AM
May be able to help you here. I've been experimenting with all the 'buntus & at present Kubuntu is by far the most stable & usable.
This of course is my opinion, and distros vary on different hardware.

Tuxaby
October 20th, 2011, 07:04 PM
Yesterday I was very frustrated when I posted this thread. Today that frustration is gone and I have a new attitude. I know this is a long post, but I encourage you to read it as it may change your attitude as well.

I read somewhere in all my searches for solutions that I should wait about 30 days to do a upgrade allowing for bugs in to be resolved. I also read elsewhere that this release did not receive the testing in beta that previous releases did. This set me to thinking. Ubuntu's creators can't possibly predict or test every hardware and/or software configuration. They can't fix the current releases shortcomings if they are not revealed so they can deal with them. And why should we want to wait 30 days more for a improved release. That's where we come in. I will be installing the next beta along side my current daily use install and will test it in my spare time allowing me to find problems so they can be solved and updated before its release. In turn helping others with the same problems. I encourage all Ubuntu users to do the same. Become part of the solution before there is a problem at release.
My reaching this decision was prompted by my realizing that my main problem, which was my inability to use my Logitech MX5500 keyboard and mouse with Bluetooth, was solved through updates. In Natty it just connected. In Oneiric it didn't, so I tried using the Bluetooth device setup dialog. Both showed up but faded or failed at each attempt following the prompts, even trying the Win 7 install using the connect buttons on the receiver and device. Nothing worked. Then late yesterday evening I performed a fresh install to clear all the other problems I created trying to use several fixes I found. Upon completion I ran updates and found many new ones including for bluetooth and installed them. Proceeded to set up the mouse and keyboard. Turned everything on and started following the prompts with the same results. Backed up and restarted, but first pressing the connect buttons on the receiver and the device and everything connected. Updates solve problems, they just need to be done during beta.

So, do as I am doing, help improve what is the best operating system out there!!!!!! You don't have to be a tech, you just need to use the beta as a second version on your computer allowing problems to show up about your particular setup so that they can be addressed. Helping others with your same problems as well. This is why Beta is out there. No more complaints from me. We all need to stop complaining and get on board. I know newbies may have a problem doing this, but that is where this forum and us long time users come in to help them get to get there.

Sorry for the long-winded speech. This is just too important.

Thanks for listening. Lee M.

bump
I'm not posting this as solved yet, as I am not sure if others can post comments, and I am sure there will be some, if I do. Would someone please enlighten me about this.

Tuxaby
October 20th, 2011, 11:22 PM
bump

haqking
October 20th, 2011, 11:41 PM
bump

first of all only bump once every 24 hrs at minimum.

Second what is your question ?

The first question/title was answered to a degree.

Test it and try it with a live system/USB/CD etc

you second post was more of a testimonial and not a support issue ?

Tuxaby
October 21st, 2011, 04:39 PM
haqking , I appreciate your input. I thought the post expressed my own solution to the problem and the root cause of the post. As to the bumps, the first was a edit and when I checked it hadn't moved so I bumped it with a reply. My intent was not to break the rules. If it was posted wrong then please guide me as to where to post. I still think the content needs to be said. Anyway the intent was to help. Thanks, Lee

haqking
October 21st, 2011, 06:28 PM
haqking , I appreciate your input. I thought the post expressed my own solution to the problem and the root cause of the post. As to the bumps, the first was a edit and when I checked it hadn't moved so I bumped it with a reply. My intent was not to break the rules. If it was posted wrong then please guide me as to where to post. I still think the content needs to be said. Anyway the intent was to help. Thanks, Lee

no worries, yes this is the correct area for a testimonial as it were, or opinion good or bad and may not get any responses.

If you have a specific question relating to a support issue then general help or a specific sub-forum will yield you better results.

peace