PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Mouse and keyboard not working after upgrading to 11.10

sns
October 19th, 2011, 08:34 PM
After upgrading to Ubuntu 11.10, neither my keyboard nor my mouse work anymore. The keyboard works during the boot process, but stops working as soon as the login screen appears. I'm stuck there because without a mouse or a keyboard I can't login or start a shell. If I hit ESC during startup to make the grub manager appear, the manager appears, but the keyboard won't work anymore. Mouse: Logitech RX 250, Keyboard: Cherry RS 6000

sns
October 20th, 2011, 08:46 PM
Even if I unplug the mouse and keyboard and plugin in another mouse (some cheapish mouse from Lenovo) it won't work. My PC is completely unusable because of this since several days. Stupid me for upgrading. :(

Skadork
October 20th, 2011, 10:24 PM
I have a similar issue. However, I can enter my password and then it goes to the stock background with no icons and the mouse freezes. ctrl+alt+del doesn't do anything. I have to hard reboot and it does the same thing.

It did this after an upgrade, so I wiped the drive and did a fresh install and it was still doing it.

This is a Dimension E521 running the 64 bit version. Gonna try the 32 bit version this weekend to see if that will be an issue.

carl33p
October 21st, 2011, 09:17 PM
I fresh installed 11.10, and have been having mouse issues. Sometimes the mouse will totally stop working.

I had mouse issues in 11.04 NN as well. End up having to do everything with the keyboard.

The latest releases don't seem very stable. And Unity is pretty, but highly unstable. Switch 1 setting, and BAM, you lose everything.

Looks like I'll be going back to a 9.x or 10.x release.:(

sns
October 22nd, 2011, 08:41 AM
Damn! :( I haven't been able to use my PC since the day of the release now. Can I "downgrade" somehow without losing everything? :( 11.10 really is a disaster for me.

raja.genupula
October 22nd, 2011, 08:06 PM
Damn! :( I haven't been able to use my PC since the day of the release now. Can I "downgrade" somehow without losing everything? :( 11.10 really is a disaster for me.

Hey man , sorry! there is no possibility of downgrade.Fresh installation is the only way if you fix for downgrade.

but please make a look at this

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1852081

masgeeks
October 22nd, 2011, 08:11 PM
Upgrades are evil... that being said... :(

If you can at least use your keyboard, what about trying to setup a bluetooth mouse...??? If you don't have a bluetooth adapter, you can get them really cheap, I have some that were $10 bucks a pop and work great... :)

dennisonIT
October 23rd, 2011, 08:40 AM
I did a fresh install of 11.10 to replace a broken wubi 11.04 install, All went well until 40 seconds after running the system for the first time. After running the additional (NVIDEA) drivers in I had mouse & KB failure. Several reboots later no change. However I have restored control by selecting unity 2d at login and all is well. Unity was going to have a very short life on this machine anyway as I can't stand it and as 11.10 will work (so they say) with the new gnome 3 shell that's the direction i'mheaded

nathan3624
November 10th, 2011, 11:10 PM
Ok I had the same problem with my HP SR1240NX desktop. So I had to re install Linux 11.04. I had a video card problem with linux 11.04 on my Dell D800. The drivers that ubuntu found for the video card was not working right. So I downgraded to the ubuntu 10.04 and it still was having video problems so I downloaded the drivers it found it works like a charm. Ubuntu 11.04 and 11.10 Iv had way to many problems. But I think ubuntu 10.04 is better because it has the aero glass and I'v never had any problems with drivers. I'm going to wait like a month before I upgrade my desktop again so maybe they will fix the bugs.

sog1
April 30th, 2012, 03:01 AM
I have a dual boot laptop with a Wubi install of Ubuntu and Windows. I upgraded Ubuntu from 11.04 to 11.10 via update manager and now ,for Ubuntu, the mouse and keyboard do not work (The keyboard and mouse do work for a minute or so after I log in, but then stops working). My understanding is that I cannot fix 11.10. I have tried the items mentioned in this thread and others. I have tried Unity 2D etc. The keyboard does work if in recovery mode.

Can I upgrade to 12.04 by booting in recovery mode and using a cd with the 12.04 iso?