PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] os-prober and multiple non-ubuntu kernels

redmaniac
October 19th, 2011, 07:51 PM
Hi all,

I have a triple boot system (Ubuntu, Gentoo and Windows) set up. I just did a kernel ubdate on my Gentoo installation. To simplify things I use Grub2 as set up by Ubuntu (11.04). So far that worked like a charm (update-grub recognized my Gentoo kernel and made a nice entry in the menu).

After the kernel update (I did not delete the old kernel image, rather I added the newer one alongside it) I once again ran update-grub. It recognized the second Kernel alright but for some reason it decided to give both menu entries the exact same title. Is there any way to fix this without hacking the /boot/grub.conf?

Cheers
redmaniac

raja.genupula
October 19th, 2011, 08:07 PM
Hi
Actually update of grub will be done everytime after new update of your kernel so you no need to update the grub after kernel upgrade done.

redmaniac
October 19th, 2011, 08:17 PM
Ok, maybe I was not clear enough about what I meant.

1. I use Grub as installed by and managed within Ubuntu.
2. I have a Gentoo Linux installation on another hard drive
3. update-grub (run manually) will find my Gentoo installation on the other hard drive and provides a menu entry
4. I updated my *Gentoo* kernel.

Now of course after I update the Gentoo kernel this will not trigger update-grub in Ubuntu (which is in a deep coma at this point, so to speak). So I boot into Ubuntu and run update-grub manually (how else will it know that on another hard drive in another OS, something changed).

After the (Gentoo) kernel update + update-grub there is indeed a second menu entry in /boot/grub/grub.conf
It's just that this new entry has the same title as the old one (which is still there, as it should). So now I have two Gentoo boot menu entries for different kernels, which show the same title and I have no way to distinguish between them (other than hitting 'e' and looking what's going on under the hood).

I could just edit /boot/grub/grub.conf but this will be overridden after the next *Ubuntu* kernel update --as you pointed out.

redmaniac
October 19th, 2011, 08:31 PM
Ok, marking this as [SOLVED].

What I had to do was to edit the /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober script.
Essentially there is a place where the title is written:

There is a line

menuentry "${LLABEL} (on ${DEVICE})" --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {

which I changed to (note the ': ${LKERNEL}'):

menuentry "${LLABEL}: ${LKERNEL} (on ${DEVICE})" --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {

That did the trick.

If anybody has a more elegant solution I'm still interested in it.

arpanaut
October 19th, 2011, 08:39 PM
Not a complete solution but the latest kernel will always be on top.
Otherwise yes you will need to do some configuration elsewhere in grub.
But editing /boot/grub/grub.conf is not a permanent solution as it gets overwritten each update-grub.

Maybe this will help: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1287602

redmaniac
October 19th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Thanks, that forum post is indeed nice. I might give it a swirl next time I boot my Ubuntu. For now my hack works (it just doesn't look as nice).

Cheers
redmaniac