PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] SPICE needed!

dep0
October 19th, 2011, 06:06 PM
Hi everyone, i need a program like spice ( on windows ) for my studies in electronics.
Anyone aware of any "clone" programs on ubuntu, or maybe a good programm to analyze electrical systems?

11jmb
October 19th, 2011, 09:12 PM
I do not know how accurate this old article is, but it looks like you can build from source:

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/2169

If not, perhaps check out:

http://ngspice.sourceforge.net/

dep0
October 20th, 2011, 10:42 AM
I think i'll try the first one.
I have never build from the source before some i'm guessing it 'll be fun to try!

mörgæs
October 22nd, 2011, 09:37 AM
Maybe you don't need compiling. There are some spice-ish applications in the repositories - have you tried them?

dep0
October 22nd, 2011, 10:06 AM
No i haven't tried them actually.
With "repositories" i guess you mean the ubuntu software center right?
Have you been using some of these spice-ish applications?

mörgæs
October 22nd, 2011, 11:58 AM
I never use Software Centre, only Synaptic, but you can access the same repositories.

I have not tried any Spice, just wanted to discourage people from compiling. I have used Buntu from 5.10 and have only compiled once.

dep0
October 22nd, 2011, 03:01 PM
Oh, i see.
Well i have ubuntu for just a month so i didn't know it's that hard to compile a programm.
I also don't know how to use synaptic to get applications.
I have recently tried the terminal for some apps.
Anyway i hope i'll find something like spice.

mörgæs
October 22nd, 2011, 11:09 PM
It is not necessarily hard, but you should use the repositories as much as possible. Easy and safe.

Downloading strange stuff from some web page and installing it is a bad habit from Windows.

When you open Synaptic and search for 'spice', you'll see a lot of spice-ish applications. Try and see if one of them fits.

dep0
October 23rd, 2011, 07:24 AM
Yes i guess you are right about downloading from the web.
I found one app that looks a lot like spice in the Synaptic.
Thanks a lot.

mörgæs
October 23rd, 2011, 09:38 AM
You are welcome. Please mark the thread 'solved'.