PDA

View Full Version : European Council Presidency Adopts Software Patent Agreement

amoser
March 8th, 2005, 07:15 AM
It is a shame that the EU did go with this. This will hinder much of Free/Open source development mostly because alot of the FOSS developers come from Europe. This is most certainly a slap in the face for the Open Source community. I urge that anyone in Europe who reads this, please write, call, protest, etc.. to keep this from completely going through. The FOSS community needs your help again, please do not stand down from this challenge. THIS IS A CALL TO ARMS, THIS MUST BE STOPED NOW OR LINUX WILL DIE.

Thanks in advance,
~Alan Moser

P.S. This was done against Council's Rules. More can be found at http://wiki.ffii.org/Cons050307En

jsgotangco
March 8th, 2005, 07:19 AM
Ouch..that is unfortunate...so what's the next great frontier for FLOSS? Most likely Asia/Oceania

Slapdash
March 8th, 2005, 07:24 AM
Sh*t!!
I cant believe they passed this!! #-o
I'm from South Africa but this can influence ALL of us.

amoser
March 8th, 2005, 07:49 AM
I am from the USA, and this sucks big balls. This really affects the FOSS community because just think how many FOSS developers are from Europe, this could be a big problem for the world. BUT we should not give up, the FOSS community is very strong, and close. I think that if we come together, we can turn this thing around, and keep our cause going. It is going to take alot of work, but the only option is to lay down and roll over........and just use Windows.

~Alan

Slapdash
March 8th, 2005, 07:59 AM
Never

KiwiNZ
March 8th, 2005, 08:53 AM
Forgive my ignorance of European law , but does is this decision binding on all member Nations ? Does it mean that it is now law or does each member nation now have to pass this through their own legislature?

Whilst this maybe a bad development I do not believe it will be the death of linux.

defkewl
March 8th, 2005, 09:03 AM
I agree that many great opensource software originated from Europe. I'd be sad to hear this. Too bad that I'm not in Europe.

krusbjorn
March 8th, 2005, 09:13 AM
Forgive my ignorance of European law , but does is this decision binding on all member Nations ? Does it mean that it is now law or does each member nation now have to pass this through their own legislature?

Whilst this maybe a bad development I do not believe it will be the death of linux.
Remember that the decision isnt made yet. The proposal has yet to pass the parlament.

But IF it does, i guess all members are obliged to follow it. Though, there are always exceptions (usually England and France :wink: )

Dragonfly_X
March 8th, 2005, 10:39 AM
It's an outrage! I can't believe it!
The open source community must stand together and appeal to this bill or demand that it be structured in such a way that it doesn't affect the development and distrobution of open source software. :x

Please support www.ffii.org

krusbjorn
March 8th, 2005, 12:07 PM
It's an outrage! I can't believe it!
The open source community must stand together and appeal to this bill or demand that it be structured in such a way that it doesn't affect the development and distrobution of open source software. :x

or we can say "FU", keep doing our thing and let them waste all the money brought in by taxes to put thousands after thousands of people in jail.

kahping
March 8th, 2005, 01:09 PM
or we can say "FU", keep doing our thing and let them waste all the money brought in by taxes to put thousands after thousands of people in jail.

that won't do. it will put the Open Source Community in a really bad light if we go against the law, wouldn't it? then those buggers' actions would become justified.

dang... this s*cks bad :-x

kahping

Dragonfly_X
March 8th, 2005, 02:25 PM
I'm glad the South African government supports open source software! I work for the Department of Local Government, North West province and we're testing Ubuntu and Suse9 for use as severs and desktop pc's in our dept. A college told me the other day that the Department of Finance in my province moved all of the staff at their headquaters Mmabatho over to Red Hat Linux about 4 months ago after completing short training!

Ubuntu was the brainchild of a South African, Mark Shuttelworth! \\:D/

az
March 8th, 2005, 02:34 PM
Software patents are in full force in the USA. Many opensource projects are developed there. This threatens FLOSS, but does not mean the end of FLOSS.