PDA

View Full Version : Lubuntu 11.10...

zer010
October 19th, 2011, 03:20 AM
It's official, as of 11.10, Lubuntu is now a member of the Ubuntu family! I've just downloaded the .iso and starting to plan my migration from Xubuntu 11.04. While it's still quite early, are there any thoughts on the newest Lubuntu and it's induction as an official variant?

sffvba[e0rt
October 19th, 2011, 03:22 AM
Well, they don't seem to have a website at the moment... That is about all I got (except to say awesome job to the Lubuntu devs for getting it made part of the family).

-gabe-noob-
October 19th, 2011, 03:25 AM
Congratulations to the people developing Lubuntu. I've got to get around to trying it out

Does this mean that I can do a sudo apt-get install lubuntu-desktop or something similar now?

cariboo
October 19th, 2011, 03:55 AM
Congratulations to the people developing Lubuntu. I've got to get around to trying it out

Does this mean that I can do a sudo apt-get install lubuntu-desktop or something similar now?

If you are running Oneiric or later, the answer is yes. Iso images are also available at the usual place.

BTW, they also need testers for the coming release, you can post question related to testing, in the Precise testing and discussion sub-forum (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=412)

amjjawad
October 21st, 2011, 12:14 AM
It's official, as of 11.10, Lubuntu is now a member of the Ubuntu family! I've just downloaded the .iso and starting to plan my migration from Xubuntu 11.04. While it's still quite early, are there any thoughts on the newest Lubuntu and it's induction as an official variant?

Hi there,

I'm one of Lubuntu Team and I know our website is under some work at the moment but if you'll visit the website, it will direct you to: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu

I assume you'll find all what you need to know there but if there is more to ask, please feel free to ask whatever you want :)

ubupirate
October 21st, 2011, 12:26 AM
It's been a long time coming, and they deserve it.

wolfen69
October 21st, 2011, 12:31 AM
Lubuntu is awesome on my netbook. (acer aspire one) Great job devs!

northwestuntu
October 21st, 2011, 12:55 AM
im going to install it this weekend. im glad its part of ubuntu now.

Linuxratty
October 21st, 2011, 01:52 AM
im going to install it this weekend. im glad its part of ubuntu now.

As am I...So now there is yet another contender to be decided on next year.

jimrz
October 21st, 2011, 04:49 AM
Hi there,

I'm one of Lubuntu Team and I know our website is under some work at the moment but if you'll visit the website, it will direct you to: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu

I assume you'll find all what you need to know there but if there is more to ask, please feel free to ask whatever you want :)

GREAT JOB to you and your team, congratulations.

Are the video tutorials from your old website still available anywhere and, if so, do you have a link? If not, are there any plans to re-post them?

jfloydb
October 21st, 2011, 07:54 AM
When will it show up on the WUBI installer list?

amjjawad
October 21st, 2011, 08:10 AM
GREAT JOB to you and your team, congratulations.

Are the video tutorials from your old website still available anywhere and, if so, do you have a link? If not, are there any plans to re-post them?

Thank you so much, appreciate that :)

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=11356081&postcount=5

However, I asked the team on the mailing list and hope someone will reply with all the Screencasts.

I'm not sure when exactly the website will be up and running again. I'll keep you guys updated once it's done :)

koleoptero
October 21st, 2011, 09:42 AM
Congrats to the lubuntu devs.

LXDE has come a loooooong way since last year.

vonkad
October 21st, 2011, 10:10 AM
Just switched from Ubuntu to Lubuntu. I got a high end laptop, but somehow, I'm no fan of the new Unity interface (is it just me or doesn't the thing quite work yet ?). I want something simple, while remaining in the mainstream of Linux desktop. This is exactly it.

Thanks for your work, people.

amjjawad
October 21st, 2011, 10:17 AM
Just switched from Ubuntu to Lubuntu. I got a high end laptop, but somehow, I'm no fan of the new Unity interface (is it just me or doesn't the thing quite work yet ?). I want something simple, while remaining in the mainstream of Linux desktop. This is exactly it.

Thanks for your work, people.

Unity was and still NOT my cup of tea and as far as I can tell, many share the same opinion but some may tell you that it doesn't work quite well "for them" while others (myself included) will tell you that they need something simple and easy.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci

Enjoy and thank you for using Lubuntu :)

amjjawad
October 21st, 2011, 10:25 AM
For everyone who is asking about the Screencasts, there you go:

http://www.lubuntu.ru/wiki/doku.php?id=how-to;screencasts

jimrz
October 22nd, 2011, 05:14 AM
For everyone who is asking about the Screencasts, there you go:

http://www.lubuntu.ru/wiki/doku.php?id=how-to;screencasts

thank you for the link, as well

wolfen69
October 22nd, 2011, 05:18 AM
When will it show up on the WUBI installer list?

Really?

Legendary_Bibo
October 22nd, 2011, 06:53 AM
Really?

I don't know if you're thinking what I'm thinking, but if you are, I have to agree.

Wubi...really isn't that great, and it tends to mess up people's Windows installs. Dual boots are simple and they work.

Rodney9
October 22nd, 2011, 09:15 AM
Does Lubuntu have a weather applet like Xubuntu and Gnome ?

xtremo
October 22nd, 2011, 01:31 PM
After seeing good reviews....plus it's flying up the Distro Watch ratings....I gave it a try on the 3 year old Acer Aspire Netbook.

It was previously running Xubuntu......no problem at all. But putting Lubuntu on it has made a huge difference....I've never seen this thing running so quickly.

Everything works well, it looks great.....obviously a lot of work has gone into this.

I'm very impressed indeed....and anybody looking for a lightweight distro needs to check it out. Lubuntu is most definitely staying on the netbook!

amjjawad
October 22nd, 2011, 01:40 PM
thank you for the link, as well

You welcome :)

amjjawad
October 22nd, 2011, 01:41 PM
After seeing good reviews....plus it's flying up the Distro Watch ratings....I gave it a try on the 3 year old Acer Aspire Netbook.

It was previously running Xubuntu......no problem at all. But putting Lubuntu on it has made a huge difference....I've never seen this thing running so quickly.

Everything works well, it looks great.....obviously a lot of work has gone into this.

I'm very impressed indeed....and anybody looking for a lightweight distro needs to check it out. Lubuntu is most definitely staying on the netbook!

Thank you for choosing and using Lubuntu and I'm glad to read such great feedback :)

amjjawad
October 22nd, 2011, 01:55 PM
Does Lubuntu have a weather applet like Xubuntu and Gnome ?

Not the default one, you can install it though.
http://forum.lxde.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31225&hilit=weather+applet

Lubuntu, just like other variant, uses the same Ubuntu Core so theoretically, any application that works on Ubuntu, should also work on Lubuntu. Sometimes, it's just the configuration of that package/application that you need a work-around to get it up and running but that with "some" not "all" application. For example, Cairo-Dock works out-of-the box with Lubutnu while you need some extra steps with Docky.

xtremo
October 22nd, 2011, 02:08 PM
Thank you for choosing and using Lubuntu and I'm glad to read such great feedback :)

Thank you for developing it....it's very good indeed!

Look forward to seeing the new Lubuntu site in the future! :)

amjjawad
October 22nd, 2011, 02:31 PM
Thank you for developing it....it's very good indeed!

Look forward to seeing the new Lubuntu site in the future! :)

Appreciate that indeed :)
Yes, hopefully the website will be up and running soon. You know everyone is busy but hope that won't take too long :)

I have made a One Stop Thread for Lubuntu (check my signature). If you need anything, let me know please!

neu5eeCh
October 22nd, 2011, 04:22 PM
I was reading that Lubuntu can't automatically mount NTFS flash drives? I don't use NTFS formatted flash drives, but was wondering if this is true. Also, how easy is it to edit the menu in Lubuntu? Does it require a degree in rocket science, or can someone install something like "Main Menu" to add, remove or modify items in the menu? The lack of a convenient way to edit the menu is what initially kept me away from XFCE - remedied with 4.8.

jfloydb
October 22nd, 2011, 10:36 PM
Really?

Yes really. I've found that WUBI is a pretty good way to let people play around with this .buntu stuff without having to re-partition their hard drives. I've found that WUBI is safe; I've never had a problem with it. I, for one, would like to see Lubuntu in the WUBI installer list.

Rodney9
October 22nd, 2011, 10:55 PM
After seeing good reviews....plus it's flying up the Distro Watch ratings....

It sure is...

kurt18947
October 23rd, 2011, 12:20 AM
I unstalled Lubuntu on a vintage Thinkpad and it works great! I'm not a chrome/chromium fan though so i tried Midori and Midori works sorta okay but is 'young'. I then tried Opera. Oh my, they seem to get along quite well on my machine. I haven't tried FireFox yet but may. Of all the browsers I've tried I like FireFox best but it has a bit of a ponderous rep.

gsmanners
October 23rd, 2011, 01:10 AM
I don't use it, but I do highly recommend it for anyone using a laptop in particular. Lubuntu is great (almost as great as Xubuntu).

Good job, Lubuntu devs. :D

keithpeter
October 23rd, 2011, 06:17 PM
Hello All

Booted off usb stick on EeePC 1000. Very nice and desktop + chromium soaking up 190Mb Ram.

Well done to team, looking a lot more polished.

I'll try it on a P3 with 256Mb in a few days. Is this the offer?

Ubuntu: MacOs wannabes plus people who like shiny things

Kubuntu: support a well defined Linux desktop constituency

Xubuntu: more conservative UI (will this be available for paid support LTS style? I think a lot will go for that)

Lubuntu: supporting older hardware -> recycled computer schemes &c One CD for a functioning system

Cheers

amjjawad
October 23rd, 2011, 07:19 PM
I'll try it on a P3 with 256Mb in a few days. Is this the offer?

I'm glad you like it :)
I'm very much interested to know what will happen with you. Keep me updated, please :)

zer010
October 24th, 2011, 12:42 AM
After a day of Lubuntu, I must say, it is quite polished and for the most part, is not lacking much if anything. DE management is pretty straight forward, and if there's anything missing, get it. As coming from Xubuntu 11.04, it's certainly a little more responsive. The only issue I've got currently is obviously in the Conky Calendar (gcal)...
All, in all, it's definitely my new favorite...Thanks! ^_^d

northwestuntu
October 24th, 2011, 02:42 AM
whats a good program to use to take desktop screenshots in lubuntu?

jimrz
October 24th, 2011, 03:04 AM
I'm glad you like it :)
I'm very much interested to know what will happen with you. Keep me updated, please :)

I have Lubuntu 10.04 running on my old ThinkPad 600x PIII 500 ghz w/ 384 mb RAM ... every thing works nicely OTB + it runs better than anything since win2k (or maybe 98SE) has done

northwestuntu
October 24th, 2011, 03:09 AM
I have Lubuntu 10.04 running on my old ThinkPad 600x PIII 500 ghz w/ 384 mb RAM ... every thing works nicely OTB + it runs better than anything since win2k (or maybe 98SE) has done

500ghz :D i bet it runs quick! kidding ;)

northwestuntu
October 24th, 2011, 03:15 AM
i just got done installing and wow its fast. ive got a ssd and its like blink of a eye fast when opening folders and programs.

Rodney9
October 24th, 2011, 06:32 AM

Shutter is very good - http://shutter-project.org/

It is in Synaptic.

Just discovered mtPaint , comes installed, will take a timed screenshot - go to 'File' 'Actions'

keithpeter
October 24th, 2011, 10:12 AM

Menu | Graphics | mtpaint | new from screengrab works ok for whole screen with 'stock' software.

Another poster suggests installing a dedicated screen grab program. I like the scrot script :twisted:

Power manager: what do I install so that I can set the close the lid and suspend buttons? xfce-power-manager is apparently installed but I can't find the gui, only the screensaver.

keithpeter
October 24th, 2011, 10:29 AM

Hello jimrz

That is reassuring. That sliver of extra ram over 256 will probably help as well.

Samsung NC10 netbook (1Gb ram, atom processor) off USB stick with persistent storage - I've installed the lubuntu-restricted-extras package and flash plays full screen ok, my 'standard' test youtubes being

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OET8SVAGELA&ob=av2e

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eV_astp3BjM&ob=av2e

The Acid3 test completes all functions in the default browser but the animation 'stutters' a little on first loading.

Brightness button works properly with 8 stages, suspend works from shutdown menu and wakes up again fine, just needed to reload the youtube to get the sound working on unsuspending.

FN buttons work for volume control.

Just need to be able to set the suspend and hibernate buttons then this is getting installed.

Very nice work for netbooks.

koleoptero
October 24th, 2011, 10:40 AM
Open a terminal install scrot and take one (or more)

sudo apt-get install scrot
scrot -cd 5

amjjawad
October 24th, 2011, 01:42 PM

I use this: gnome-screenshot

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install gnome-screenshot

amjjawad
October 24th, 2011, 01:44 PM
After a day of Lubuntu, I must say, it is quite polished and for the most part, is not lacking much if anything. DE management is pretty straight forward, and if there's anything missing, get it. As coming from Xubuntu 11.04, it's certainly a little more responsive. The only issue I've got currently is obviously in the Conky Calendar (gcal)...
All, in all, it's definitely my new favorite...Thanks! ^_^d

So glad to know that :D

zer010
October 25th, 2011, 09:13 AM
Menu | Graphics | mtpaint | new from screengrab works ok for whole screen with 'stock' software.

Another poster suggests installing a dedicated screen grab program. I like the scrot script :twisted:

+1 for scrot ^_^d
I was pleasantly surprised to see that it's installed by default.

BrokenKingpin
October 25th, 2011, 09:45 PM
I tried it on my netbook and it was okay. It isn't enough to pull me away from Xubuntu 11.10, which is fantastic.

I find the Lubuntu is faster booting than Xubuntu, but other than that I don't notice that much of a difference in performance on the day-to-day stuff, at least not enough to justify using it over Xubuntu. This Xubuntu release seems to perform a lot better than the last few releases and is noticeably faster than Ubuntu with Unity or Gnome3.

Don't get me wrong, I like Lubuntu/XLDE, I just find that Xubuntu/Xfce provides a more complete user experience and is easier to configure some things.

I also don't get how the Lubuntu iso image is 700 mb, even though it has a lot less applications by default than the other Ubuntu derivatives.

alco75
October 25th, 2011, 09:57 PM
Don't get me wrong, I like Lubuntu/XLDE, I just find that Xubuntu/Xfce provides a more complete user experience and is easier to configure some things.

Yeah, agreed. I just tried a Lubuntu Live USB and found, looking at htop, that it doesn't use much less memory than Xubuntu. About 500MB compared to 350MB on my laptop, which has 4GB, so it's pretty negligible really. Maybe if I had a low-end old netbook with just 1 GB it might be worth it ...

northwestuntu
October 25th, 2011, 10:07 PM
ok i see the mtpaint does work just fine :D im used to using gnome screentshot but didnt want to install all the other gnome stuff with it.

northwestuntu
October 25th, 2011, 10:12 PM

i agree with that. i could use either one and be happy. lubuntu loads programs and folders faster then xubuntu for me. i use a lot of cloud apps so i dont really need to configure a lot. mostly looking for is speed in my system.

jfloydb
October 27th, 2011, 04:47 PM
Can the power settings (suspend when I close the lid, etc.) be adjusted? Can I add items like Firefox to the panel? I've only messed around with lubuntu for about an hour, so far, and I haven't figured out how to do these things. Is there a manual? Seems good, Thanks. At work, gota go...

amjjawad
October 27th, 2011, 05:00 PM
Can the power settings (suspend when I close the lid, etc.) be adjusted? Can I add items like Firefox to the panel? I've only messed around with lubuntu for about an hour, so far, and I haven't figured out how to do these things. Is there a manual? Seems good, Thanks. At work, gota go...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1844755

leclerc65
October 27th, 2011, 05:01 PM
Yep, use gconf-editor.

apps > gnome-power-manager > buttons

koleoptero
ok i see the mtpaint does work just fine :D im used to using gnome screentshot but didnt want to install all the other gnome stuff with it.

Open a terminal and do a "scrot -cd 5".

Scrot takes screenshots. -c tells it to display a countdown in the terminal and -d adds the delay. 5 tells is to wait for 5 seconds so replace it with what you want.

mips
i agree with that. i could use either one and be happy. lubuntu loads programs and folders faster then xubuntu for me. i use a lot of cloud apps so i dont really need to configure a lot. mostly looking for is speed in my system.

Something I have noticed is that once you have setup everything you like like themes, printers etc I actually have very little need for the additional features and essentially use Xubuntu just like I would use Openbox+Tint2.

That reminds me, I must configure my openbox & tint2 panel the way I like etc and use that again seeing it's already installed anyway.

hotweiss
October 27th, 2011, 10:47 PM
Just installed Lubuntu 11.10 on a 7 year old computer. Every thing works great except for Flash. Ubuntu 11.10 was almost unusable on the same computer.

K-Ghidorah
October 28th, 2011, 11:20 PM
Just wanted to share my experience with Lubuntu 11.10...

(partly quoted from a response I left on a YouTube review for Lubuntu 11.10)

A few days ago, I had gotten my mom's old PC after I helped her pick out a new one. 600-something Mhz, 512 MB of ram. Slow as molasses in the Arctic flowing uphill... and that's on Linux Mint 9 XFCE (don't get me started on how slow it was with WinXP). Not to mention the fact that I couldn't get resolution higher than 800x600. Back in the day, it would've run Win98SE like a boss, but now, not so much.

Lubuntu 11.10 actually made it run pretty well, and now it's quite the workhorse. It'll never be awesome again (most of what I'd use it for would bog it down hard these days), but I'm okay with that. Because of Lubuntu 11.10, I was able to breathe some more life into it.

For this, I thank the dev team of Lubuntu 11.10. It may seem like a clichéd statement, but it really is the best Lubuntu release yet, despite going into the terminal prompt instead of the GUI with the Live CD (sorry... terminal-ly illiterate for the moment). Was able to find the solution on Wikipedia, though, so it wasn't that big of a deal. Still, that'd be something to address with the LTS release, which I'm HIGHLY looking forward to!

Nice job, guys!

wolfen69
October 29th, 2011, 01:46 AM
Because of Lubuntu 11.10, I was able to breathe some more life into it.

Lubuntu is awesome like that. My netbook running lubuntu (with an ssd) is as fast as a high end computer running regular ubuntu, if not faster. Absolutely fabulous!

http://www.animatedemailstationery.com/abfab8.gif

K-Ghidorah
October 29th, 2011, 01:56 AM
Lubuntu is awesome like that. My netbook running lubuntu (with an ssd) is as fast as a high end computer running regular ubuntu, if not faster.

I've already decided that the first netbook I get is having Lubuntu installed into it.

Absolutely fabulous!

http://www.animatedemailstationery.com/abfab8.gif

I always thought the redhead on that show was hot.

Just sayin' :P

wolfen69
October 29th, 2011, 02:38 AM
I've already decided that the first netbook I get is having Lubuntu installed into it.

Yeah, Lubuntu makes using a netbook very enjoyable. You won't regret it. I probably wouldn't use it on a high end pc, but for lower spec computers, it's great.

Rodney9
October 29th, 2011, 04:04 AM
Loving my Lubuntu 11.10 64Bit on my desktop as well as laptop.
It's Fast
It's so simple to tweak
With Chromium Claws Mail, Radio Tray running 1% CPU
It looks beautiful at first install, than you can make it look however you want
So easy to Install, takes less than 20 minutes
It starts up and shuts down so quickly
I added lubuntu-resticted-extras, now you can play anything
The video instructions for just about everything are so easy to follow - http://www.lubuntu.ru/wiki/doku.php?...to;screencasts

You really can turn this into anything, a multimedia suite, graphic/video design /editor and because the base uses so little resources you have bulk of your ram and CPU to work your software to the max.