PDA

View Full Version : Should i go back to Windows?

WarrenSullivan
October 19th, 2011, 01:31 AM
Hello all,
Well ive just about had enough, i have tried and tried to get ubuntu 11.10 to install on my home desktop, purley for speed since its getting a little old, its a core 2 duo with 2 Gb RAM, i have tried on both usb and dvd install with no luck, on usb it installed fully then after reboot it black screened, i then installed via dvd and it got all the way to retrieving files, then got stuck and froze basically, i had similar problems on a server im running but thats fine now, im sick of trying over and over and over....where windows i can put in the usb and it will be running in 15 mins......

I have the Windows 7 professional bootable usb inserted in the usb port and its sitting on the boot screen, someone please tell my why i shouldn't hit boot from usb......please!!!

WarrenSullivan
October 19th, 2011, 01:40 AM
Done, its loading and i know it will work, i am open to retrying ubuntu again, but i need to go in knowing it will work, i tried going over to the dark...or light side a few years ago but experienced the same problems, install problems, why can windows do it but ubuntu cant? (easy installs)

I dont mean to offend anyone, its just i dont see why i should change over when its so much easier with windows?

Please enlighten me......please, because i love open source and i love what everyone has done, its amazing, but for me, it doesnt seem to work....

Rasa1111
October 19th, 2011, 01:44 AM
i always have hassle free installs.
Im using 11.10 on a laptop with core2 duo and 2 GB RAM,
and it runs great!
not sure what you're trying to ask here?

:P

tpprynn
October 19th, 2011, 01:50 AM
When someone more knowledgeable than me comes along soon they'll want to know what graphics card your pc uses or what internal video chip. I'd bet that's the trouble.

You could always try another distro like Debian 6 or Sabayon 7 if something about Unity and your card isn't working out.

You'll only get bored with Windows! Once you've had a dalliance with Linux, Windows is like marrying a sexless accountant...

markinmadison
October 19th, 2011, 01:54 AM
Personally, I have always had problems with the new distributions. I am still on Ubuntu 10.10 and have a seperate partition set aside for the upgrades. If I like them, then I will switch all of the computers here. I do not like the unity environment of the new distributions. As of right now, I am trying the new 11.10 on the other partition. We will see how that goes... Try the other distros of Ubuntu. 10.04 works GREAT!!! and so does 10.10. They are now out of the box and work GREAT!!!!

BazookaAce
October 19th, 2011, 01:59 AM
I too had my problems with 11.10. I had to reinstall it 4 times in a week, but i didn't give up, and now i'm awesoming all over the place. I haven't booted up Win7 for a week now.

Alwimo
October 19th, 2011, 02:06 AM
Done, its loading and i know it will work, i am open to retrying ubuntu again, but i need to go in knowing it will work, i tried going over to the dark...or light side a few years ago but experienced the same problems, install problems, why can windows do it but ubuntu cant? (easy installs)

I dont mean to offend anyone, its just i dont see why i should change over when its so much easier with windows?

Please enlighten me......please, because i love open source and i love what everyone has done, its amazing, but for me, it doesnt seem to work....
If you prefer Windows, then you should use Windows. If you're on the fence, I suggest installing Ubuntu within Windows.
http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/windows-installer

If the installation fails or you don't like it, you can uninstall it just like any program within Windows.

Also, I find I have more problems with installing Windows than Linux distros, so it could just be a matter of hardware and not an example of Windows or Ubuntu being better or worse.

Rasa1111
October 19th, 2011, 02:20 AM
Also, I find I have more problems with installing Windows than Linux distros, so it could just be a matter of hardware and not an example of Windows or Ubuntu being better or worse.

Same here.
windows always gave me far more install problems than Linux/Ubuntu ever has.

Linuxratty
October 19th, 2011, 02:24 AM
I've only had install problems once and that was Mint KDE.I could not get to the desktop for love or money,so installed 10.10.
You can always duel boot with another flavor,like Xubuntu,Mint,etc.

WarrenSullivan
October 19th, 2011, 02:31 AM
Ha haI too had my problems with 11.10. I had to reinstall it 4 times in a week, but i didn't give up, and now i'm awesoming all over the place. I haven't booted up Win7 for a week now.

Lol, you sound like a reformed smoker, or alchoholic!
Please dont get me wrong, i love the environment, but i was just having too many probs with 11.10, i have a server with 10.04 on it, it runs soooo well so i though ill chuck the latest on my desktop......think ill take your advice and throw 10.04 on this machine and see how i go.....

Thankyou all for convincing me to stay!

PS im typing this from my new Win 7 install, and im hating myself for it!!!!

sffvba[e0rt
October 19th, 2011, 02:40 AM
Thread moved to The Community Cafe as it isn't a support request.

Sorry to hear that the latest and greatest from Ubuntu is giving you issues. Always good to review hardware before hand to ensure compatibility etc.

WarrenSullivan
October 19th, 2011, 02:52 AM
Currently downloading 10.04 64 bit..........ill use this thread if i have any probs with the install.....

Thanks again guys for the encouragement!

IWantFroyo
October 19th, 2011, 02:58 AM
Good luck! :)

Crunchbang Statler and Debian 6 are also options that get a +1 from me, if 10.04 doesn't go well (although it should).

I find that pretty much every problem I get with a newer version of Ubuntu isn't in 10.04, and every problem 10.04 has is fixed in a newer version (hardware wise). Technically, one or the other have a very good chance of working.

mikewhatever
October 19th, 2011, 03:07 AM

If you don't see any reason to switch, don't. Best of luck with W7.

madjr
October 19th, 2011, 03:11 AM
am pretty sure the problem is unity/compiz and your graphics card.

you can either open a bug or search.

here is how to report.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs
http://www.ubuntu.com/community/report-problem

in the meantime it was good idea to try 10.04

but u want to report if you want your issue fixed for the current or future versions.

WarrenSullivan
October 19th, 2011, 03:20 AM
As previously stated, i do see a reason to switch.....when its working well, ubuntu is awesome, soooo much faster cleaner lighter.....better in every way......sorry if it came across as a winge, which it prolly was ;-)

EDIT, 10.04 64 bit is finished downloading.....here i go, see you hopefully in the ubuntu environment in 20 mins or so!

Wish me luck!

hansdown
October 19th, 2011, 03:43 AM
10.04 is rock solid, WarrenSullivan.

I think we'll be seeing you soon. :)

ubupirate
October 19th, 2011, 03:51 AM
10.04 is rock solid, WarrenSullivan.

I think we'll be seeing you soon. :)

10.04 indeed is rock solid, +1 recommendation here. :D

cariboo
October 19th, 2011, 03:52 AM
Currently downloading 10.04 64 bit..........ill use this thread if i have any probs with the install.....

Thanks again guys for the encouragement!

If you run into problems installing 10.04, please post your question in the support forums, the purpose of this sub-forum is for:

The Community Chat area is for lighthearted and enjoyable discussions, like you might find around a water cooler at work.

Almost any non-tech-support topic may be discussed here. Discussions on religion and politics are not allowed, except for politics directly related to free and open source issues. Any topic or discussion that causes problems or drama will be closed. This area is intended for fun and community building, not arguments. Please take those elsewhere. Thanks!

BTW, I hope you're setting your system up as a dual boot system, as there are times that you will find that you don't know how to do something in Ubuntu, that needs doing right away.

ahmed.cnbd
October 19th, 2011, 03:54 AM
I had the same problem and I have tried 2 distributions 3 desktop environments but I couldn't give up
as I think after my first use to ubuntu and linux other distributions I became an addict

WarrenSullivan
October 19th, 2011, 04:02 AM
Someone moved this thread......so i suppose ill start another thread in the support forums again and link back to this....

i have a problem with the install........

Erik1984
October 19th, 2011, 03:11 PM
It's very simple: if you prefer Windows you should go back.

johnnybgoode83
October 19th, 2011, 03:23 PM
I will give the same advice I give to anyone considering which platform to use.

If Linux works for you - use it.

If Windows works for you - use it.

If Mac works for you - use it.

If any other platform works for you - use it.

Gremlinzzz
October 19th, 2011, 03:28 PM

Stay with windows cause thats what you know.:popcorn:
There you are enlighten.

RaganN
October 19th, 2011, 03:53 PM
There you are enlighten.

Or dual boot and get to know both better...

I use both Windows and Ubuntu, because there's something useful in both for me. The only way you're going to learn how to deal with Ubuntu, is by installing and setting up Ubuntu...and learning seems to be part of the experience, from what I've been through with it. If you're really drawn to Ubuntu, find a way to make it work.

CharlesA
October 19th, 2011, 04:00 PM
Or dual boot and get to know both better...

I use both Windows and Ubuntu, because there's something useful in both for me. The only way you're going to learn how to deal with Ubuntu, is by installing and setting up Ubuntu...and learning seems to be part of the experience, from what I've been through with it. If you're really drawn to Ubuntu, find a way to make it work.

Or run one or the other in a VM. My main desktop is running Windows and my server is running *nix, but I have VMs of both OSes on both machines.

Primefalcon
October 19th, 2011, 04:43 PM
frankly I've always had more issues with windows, huge list of drivers to install and half the time some type of conflict arises which makes me start windows installation from scratch again.

Whereas Linux and especially Ubuntu works out of the box.... perfectly.

You know what though, use what works for you and if that's windows use windows.... why try using something you really don't want to use?

sffvba[e0rt
October 19th, 2011, 04:54 PM
Someone moved this thread......so i suppose ill start another thread in the support forums again and link back to this....

i have a problem with the install........

The reason it was moved here was that your initial thread was not a support question.

Trying to have one thread to fix and discuss everything isn't a good idea. Better to break down the issues into specific threads in the relevant areas and you will get them sorted out sooner.

a2j
October 19th, 2011, 09:14 PM
I guess "yes you should". is that what you wanted to hear? ;)

Rumbl3
October 20th, 2011, 12:58 AM
Well I haven't been here in forever. Anyway I'd say don't give up. Just try other flavors imo.

You just have to find one that taste good to you. I'm a Xubuntu lover pretty much since I discovered linux. My buddy is a mint guy swears his life by it. I got another friend that only uses arch.

I think it kind of becomes a religious following. I've tried tons of other flavors and I always find myself on Xubuntu. Because I'm a bit of a resource *****, but not the point of using something like fluxbox. Xubuntu just fits that mold that is what I am.

Maybe windows fits that mold? I'm a gamer (mainly old school shooters tho), I'm a huge tweaker/resource guy when it comes to my gaming. So that's why I left windows. Because you can mold linux more into what you want, not what bill gates etc wants. Bit more work but feels much more rewarding when I get a game running or get a game running much faster then on windows.

If your not into "tinkering" and do more then just browse the web. I generally feel linux is not for that person.

I'll shut up now lol.

MonolithImmortal
October 20th, 2011, 01:05 AM
frankly I've always had more issues with windows, huge list of drivers to install and half the time some type of conflict arises which makes me start windows installation from scratch again.

Whereas Linux and especially Ubuntu works out of the box.... perfectly.

You know what though, use what works for you and if that's windows use windows.... why try using something you really don't want to use?

You need to upgrade to windows 7. XP is ancient now.

alphacrucis2
October 20th, 2011, 01:22 AM
There you are enlighten.

Wouldn't the OP need to install bodhilinux to get enlighten :P

sffvba[e0rt
October 20th, 2011, 01:26 AM
Seeing as OP has decided to give Ubuntu another try and is busy getting assistance in other threads I think this one has served its purpose.

Thread closed.