PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] 11.10 - Unity v. classic and pkg issues

xigen
October 19th, 2011, 12:44 AM
I reverted back to the Ubuntu classic interface on my 11.04 installation. When I upgraded from 11.04 -> 11.10 the installation is indicating a package error. Apparently 11.10 expects to install Unity, and I have Ubuntu Classic.

meow@meowbatunde:~$ sudo dpkg --configure -a
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of ubuntu-desktop:
ubuntu-desktop depends on unity; however:
Package unity is not installed.
dpkg: error processing ubuntu-desktop (--configure):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
ubuntu-desktop

1) How do I check my system to make sure that the Ubuntu classic environment is working correctly?

2) Would it make sense to change the interface from Ubuntu Classic to Unity? if so - how.

3) As long as I am asking for everything. My date/time applet is in the center of the tool bar -- I miss having it on the right hand side. How do I move the applet. (see pic).

As always - Thank you.

23dornot23d
October 19th, 2011, 12:51 AM
3) As long as I am asking for everything. My date/time applet is in the center of the tool bar -- I miss having it on the right hand side. How do I move the applet. (see pic).

from what I have been reading Alt+right click the item in question to move it ..... but I have not tried it yet ..... as I work in Gnome-Shell ..... but someone might confirm it .....

or you could try it and let us know if it works ....

Check below for other problems .... in my failed upgrades list ....some are marked solved
and are the best to start with if you see a similar problem .....

xigen
October 19th, 2011, 12:54 AM

from what I have been reading Alt+right click the item in question to move it

Righetous!

That worked. Now on to reading your suggestions regarding 1 & 2.
Cheers,

23dornot23d
October 19th, 2011, 01:05 AM
You could try

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install aptitude

sudo aptitude update
sudo aptitude install ubuntu-desktop

if there are a list of dependencies post it ..... as answering n to it will give you other lists ...

sometimes its possible to pick the less destructive of them and re-insert packages it may remove ..... to satisfy the dependencies ....

1) How do I check my system to make sure that the Ubuntu classic environment is working correctly?
Keep trying things out ...... or look in the error logs see if anything looks amiss .......

System > Administration > log file viewer
log file viewer

2) Would it make sense to change the interface from Ubuntu Classic to Unity? if so - how.

At the LightDM .... login screen ....

Choose UNITY3D ...... if your graphics card supports UNITY .... and is also set up for it .....

what graphics card do you use > ?

xigen
October 19th, 2011, 01:31 AM
You could try
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install aptitude

sudo aptitude update
sudo aptitude install ubuntu-desktop

if there are a list of dependencies post it ..... as answering n to it will give you other lists ...

sometimes its possible to pick the less destructive of them and re-insert packages it may remove ..... to satisfy the dependencies ....

Keep trying things out ...... or look in the error logs see if anything looks amiss .......

log file viewer

At the LightDM .... login screen ....

Choose UNITY3D ...... if your graphics card supports UNITY .... and is also set up for it .....

what graphics card do you use > ?

Well: here is what I get.

sudo apt-get update
Reading package lists... Done
meow@meowbatunde:~$ sudo apt-get install aptitude
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
aptitude : Depends: libboost-iostreams1.46.1 (>= 1.46.1-1) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libcwidget3 but it is not going to be installed
ubuntu-desktop : Depends: unity but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).
meow@meowbatunde:~$ sudo aptitude update
sudo: aptitude: command not found
meow@meowbatunde:~$

log file viewer
.... I looked around, however I got a little lost as to which file(s) to check.

Video card: nVidia Corporation G96 [GeForce 9500 GT]

23dornot23d
October 19th, 2011, 01:53 AM
it advises to try the -f which is to fix thee install from a previous error ....

so try that .....

sudo apt-get -f install

(in the logfile viewer there is one called apt - I think it retains the history .....)

and another called term.log ... shows what happened during the upgrade ....