PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] linux.dropbox.com?

arnaldo
October 18th, 2011, 07:37 PM
I started upgrading to 10.10 via Update Manager. At the stage of loading Packages files, it fails, with the message:

W:Failed to fetch http://linux.dropbox.com/ubuntu/dists/oneiric/main/binary-i386/Packages 404 Not Found
, E:Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

After that it just stops.

Where does this dropbox address come from? I tried to set the download server to three different sites, all ended up the same way.

arpanaut
October 18th, 2011, 08:10 PM
That looks like a 3rd party repository
They may not have released an oneiric package yet.
You may have to go into your /etc/apt/sources.list and comment (#) that source
or change oneiric to natty for the time being until they release an updated package

arnaldo
October 18th, 2011, 09:17 PM
That's it. I was fooled by UM's message that it had disabled 3rd party installations. I had already checked sources.list, anyway.

Found the culprit in sources.list.d. Now I am over that particular stumbling block.

Thanks.

subehsharma
November 10th, 2011, 11:41 AM
Best method to getaway from this problem is to install fix404. You can read about it more here:

Under Ubuntu, the APT package index is a database containing all packages of repositories (PPAs) defined in the /etc/apt/sources.list file. To update this database after adding some repositories, we need to use this command from the Terminal:

sudo apt-get update

Sometimes, when running the command given above, we get error messages (404 Not Found) that are the result of wrong PPAs, which may slow down the update process via the Terminal. In fact, this 404 Not Found error messages are not harmful at all, but you can use Fix404 to detect and remove these PPAs.

To install Fix404 on Ubuntu 11.04, launch the Terminal and run these commands:

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:lkjoel/fix404
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install fix404

To install on Ubuntu 10.10/10.04, download this deb package here.

To start using Fix404, run this command (root privileges required):

sudo fix404

Then follow displayed instructions to disable PPAs causing the 404 Not Found Error.

http://www.upubuntu.com/2011/07/remo...e-404-not.html