PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Update problems when returning to Kubuntu 11.04

bravo sierra echo
October 18th, 2011, 06:38 PM
I tried out 11.10, didn't like it, and re-installed 11.04 from the same CD that I burned at the time.

No problem with the re-installation, but in the six months since 11.04 came out one of the software updates has gone wrong and I can't figure out which one.

I've had a couple of different symptoms, but in short the initial installation works fine but when I try to run the available updates (309 available, apparently), one of them screws up the system so badly that I have to install again.

I've used various versions of Ubuntu and very rarely come across a problem so bad that I've been forced to re-install, so I consider this a biggy!

I reckon something's gone bad recently, because I always kept my system up-to-date with updates before and never had this problem.

Has anyone else come across this? Do you know which update is causing this? And how can I avoid it?

bravo sierra echo
October 19th, 2011, 10:43 AM
I've resolved this, and thought I'd post the solution in case it helps anyone else.

I tried to find out which update was causing the problem by applying them a few at a time and restarting the computer between each small batch. I've got to the end, all updates applied, with no problems!

The issue is obviously caused by trying to apply too many updates all at the same time, or perhaps some of them conflict so doing it this way prevented the two conflicting ones from being applied at the same time.