PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Successful upgrade 11.04 ----->>11.10

deserthowler
October 18th, 2011, 05:41 PM
I'm using a Dell 1420 inspiron laptop. I upgraded from 11.04 to 11.10 smoothly ... when I rebooted it started again. I started using the upgrade feature successfully in 9.04 or 9.10 so this is a continuation in a long string..

Sure, some things need to be reconfigured and something things don't work but that happens all of the time. It will probably still be much faster than a fresh install.

For having configurations work and such, this is probably the worst upgrade ever. I'm attributing some of the problem to the gnome3 toolkit which is probably pretty incomplete.

FVWM still works so I'm happy. :) Still not sure about Unity and Gnome 3 :confused: but I can get work done with FVWM.

Earl

jimbo99
October 18th, 2011, 06:34 PM
I'm using a Dell 1420 inspiron laptop. I upgraded from 11.04 to 11.10 smoothly ... when I rebooted it started again. I started using the upgrade feature successfully in 9.04 or 9.10 so this is a continuation in a long string..

Sure, some things need to be reconfigured and something things don't work but that happens all of the time. It will probably still be much faster than a fresh install.

For having configurations work and such, this is probably the worst upgrade ever. I'm attributing some of the problem to the gnome3 toolkit which is probably pretty incomplete.

FVWM still works so I'm happy. :) Still not sure about Unity and Gnome 3 :confused: but I can get work done with FVWM.

Earl

After seeing so many problems with the upgrades to 11.10 and having problems right and left myself with some that seem to persist beyond my attempts to fix them, I have to wonder what the ratio of success to failure to problematic use is. I'd bet it tends to lean toward failure and/or problematic.

deserthowler
October 19th, 2011, 07:03 PM
After seeing so many problems with the upgrades to 11.10 and having problems right and left myself with some that seem to persist beyond my attempts to fix them, I have to wonder what the ratio of success to failure to problematic use is. I'd bet it tends to lean toward failure and/or problematic.

I have no idea what Unity is supposed to do or not do. :confused: It boots. \\:D/ I consider that a good upgrade. After that I'm not sure if it operates properly or not; I have no idea how to work it. It is all confusing to me.

That is why I stick to my configuration of FVWM. :cool:

Earl