PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] This is certainly not NORMAL.

atentik
October 18th, 2011, 05:03 PM
After several efforts to get my system back and running, I am able to boot but on the desktop, I have nothing. No option to select internet, not sidebar, no terminal at the top, no program file. Absolutely nothing. This is not normal.

Please see the attached picture.

2F4U
October 18th, 2011, 05:30 PM
Am I right in guessing that this is an upgraded system? Have you already tried to create a new user and see if this user has the same problems?

decoherence
October 18th, 2011, 05:34 PM
that looks like the gnome-shell background.

well, i guess try resetting your gnome stuff.

mv .gnome .gnome.BAK
mv .gnome2 .gnome2.BAK
mv .gconf .gconf.BAK
mv .gconfd .gconfd.BAK
mv .metacity .metacity.BAK

this might not work exactly right with GNOME3... you might need to rename a '.gnome3' folder as well, you might not have a '.metacity' folder.... i haven't got a machine to test on right now.

If you find things break even more, you can reverse the commands to restore things (ie 'mv .gnome2.BAK .gnome2') -- some people will direct you to run 'rm -rf' on these files instead of 'mv' but this will prevent you from restoring anything.

collisionystm
October 18th, 2011, 05:38 PM
I had that. It was my video card driver. Apparently gnome-shells video card requirements are different than Unity.

atentik
October 18th, 2011, 06:13 PM
Thanks everyone. collisionystm, how did you solve the problem. should I remove gnome-shell?

collisionystm
October 18th, 2011, 09:16 PM
Thanks everyone. collisionystm, how did you solve the problem. should I remove gnome-shell?

I tried to update my video card drivers. Still failed.

I actually ended up using CrunchBang with xfce and it worked really well. I had all effects and it was so smooth..almost unbelievable.