PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Desktop

crazy bird
October 18th, 2011, 03:11 PM
Hi,

The desktop of Xubuntu 11.04 (or 11.10), does it come with that Apple MacOs bar at the bottom? I've seen a couple of screenshots of the desktop and they all have that MacOs bar at the bottom? Many thanks for your input!

Toz
October 18th, 2011, 03:12 PM
Yes it does, but it is hidden by default. Simply move your mouse to the bottom of the screen to display it.

crazy bird
October 18th, 2011, 03:58 PM
is there somewhere a list available with thje standard installed applications?

3Miro
October 18th, 2011, 04:32 PM

The bottom bar is quite a bit different from Mac. If you know Gnome or KDE panel, it is just that with launchers. Mac-like dock would be AWN (available in the repositories and working fine with Xubuntu).

If you want to check the list of default apps, it is best to get a liveCD/liveDVD and then boot from it. There is some information here, but it is not complete:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xubuntu

You should note that Xubuntu can install any Ubuntu program, i.e. if you don't like the default selection, you can just install another program.

MarjaE
October 18th, 2011, 05:10 PM
Also, you can use panel preferences to move it to the left side - I'd rather move it to the right side, just to be obtuse - and lock it in place. I was disappointed to find a visable-on-mouseover bug on Xubuntu, but I had no trouble fixing it.

gsmanners
October 18th, 2011, 05:35 PM

Here you go: list (http://mirror.anl.gov/pub/ubuntu-iso/CDs-Xubuntu/11.10/release/xubuntu-11.10-alternate-i386.list) (97K)

crazy bird
October 18th, 2011, 07:49 PM
The bottom bar is quite a bit different from Mac. If you know Gnome or KDE panel, it is just that with launchers. Mac-like dock would be AWN (available in the repositories and working fine with Xubuntu).

If you want to check the list of default apps, it is best to get a liveCD/liveDVD and then boot from it. There is some information here, but it is not complete:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xubuntu

You should note that Xubuntu can install any Ubuntu program, i.e. if you don't like the default selection, you can just install another program.

@Miro:
Thanks for the link!

hhh
October 18th, 2011, 07:58 PM
???????? What kind of crap is this??
It's not crap, it's a package list. Everything on that page ending in .deb is a package installed with Xubuntu 11.10. So /pool/main/f/file-roller/file-roller_3.2.0-0ubuntu1_i386.deb means an i386 version of file-roller is installed. To see packages installe don your system, in a terminal run'''
dpkg --get-selections

crazy bird
October 19th, 2011, 08:31 AM
It's not crap, it's a package list. Everything on that page ending in .deb is a package installed with Xubuntu 11.10. So /pool/main/f/file-roller/file-roller_3.2.0-0ubuntu1_i386.deb means an i386 version of file-roller is installed. To see packages installe don your system, in a terminal run'''
dpkg --get-selections

Ok, understood. It looked like some listing which i didn't understand.

xtremo
October 19th, 2011, 09:21 AM
I don't care for those type of bars very much....so that's the first thing that comes off. It does work well....no problems with it, but I like to keep things basic.

crazy bird
October 19th, 2011, 09:51 AM
I don't care for those type of bars very much....so that's the first thing that comes off. It does work well....no problems with it, but I like to keep things basic.

True, but it is also nice to show off your desktop with these kind of "goodies" to impress friends/family/Windows followers!

When i used Windows i very much liked the desktop of Windows NT 4.0 just for its simplicity and pure basic. No fancy stuff like Windows XP or Windows 7.