PDA

View Full Version : Data loss with fresh install?

MarinePride
October 18th, 2011, 11:05 AM
I'm running 11.04 32 bit now and I want to install 11.10 64 bit. This would not be an upgrade and would be a fresh installation to a 64 bit system. My problem is this:

If I do a new install what happens to 11.04 I'm currently using? Will it be wiped clean or will Ubuntu let me access it, for file transfer, after I'm booted into 11.10? In the short time I've been using Ubuntu, I have have managed to accumulate a lot of various files and I'd hate to loose them.

In a Windows 7 install, windows actually detects the previous version if it's a clean install and labels the whole directory, "windows.old", so it is easy to do the file transfers.

I'm taking a guess here, but it would seem logical for me to be able to access my old version of Ubuntu 11.04 files if I do a fresh install of 10.10.

Thanks for your help.

Bmonsterboy
October 18th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Depends on how you install. During install there should be an option to install ubuntu side-by-side with another OS. But otherwise, just copy your stuff to a USB, use dropbox, or if you want to make things better, make a separate partition for your home directory.

MarinePride
October 19th, 2011, 01:12 AM
I really don't want to make a new partition on my hard drive. As far as installing side by side with another operating system, the are both essentially the same, so that isn't an option.

I guess I'm going to have to spend some time backing up if there is no real answer to my specific question.

MarinePride
October 20th, 2011, 04:10 AM
I'm taking the time to do a follow up on this thread. I did a complete new installation of Ubuntu 11.10. Upon boot up, the install CD gave a lot of options, so no one needs to worry about data loss with a fresh install.

I did, for purposes of redundancy, transfer the important stuff in my "Home" file to an external hard drive. I transferred everything back and can now report that every thing is going good so far.